• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

**Official Dojo Update Week Review Thread!**

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
NOTE: Before I move on to the thread, I must state that I HAVE searched for a thread like this one, and I didn't find anything. If there actually IS a thread like this, feel free mods to close it. Or, if this is a horrible idea for a thread, feel free mods to close it. I just came up with the idea and I thought it was cool, and I wanted to try it out, so i did, but if there is a problem, inform me and I will apologize and scrap the idea. I'm still not sure if this is even a great idea or not, so some feedback would also help me out.

------------------------------​

Welcome to the Official Dojo Update Week Review Thread! In case you're wondering what the hell this is about, let me explain. This thread's purpose is to post your opinions of the last week in updates in a detailed, civilized manner, using letter grades (F-A+) to rank them. There are no prizes or anything like that for doing so, but if you're like me, you'll have fun doing it, so essentially, fun is what this thread is about.

Posting reviews will work like this: First you will give an individual review of each update, following up by giving it an individual letter grade. Then, once you have graded each individual update, you will grade the entire week in the same manner. It's as simple as that.

Now I know what you're thinking. "-Foggy-, everybody on these boards already tell their opinions of the updates in nearly every single thread on the Brawl forums, why would you make a thread specifically designed for it:mad:?" Well here's the deal. I made this thread for two reasons (besides the have fun with it part:)):

1. People on these forums usually tell their opinions of an update in one sentence, without fully telling why they like or dislike it. They just say "I like stickers, I don't know about you" or "this Devil assist trophy looks like a crapfest!". This thread is for giving detailed reviews of an update, and giving it a letter grade accordingly, so while you can say you like or dislike an update, this thread is for actually saying WHY. I know some people already do this, but there has never been a thread specifically designed for it.

2. This thread is also mainly for reviewing the entire week. While you give reviews on each individual update, the main grade will be for all five of them.

Here is an example, using the last week in updates for a review:

AUGUST 13-AUGUST 17 DOJO UPDATE REVIEW

August 13
Character: Pokemon Trainer
After seeing Pokemon Trainer, the only thing I could say was "Wow". This update undoubtedly blew everybody away, and not only did it reveal perhaps the coolest newcomer to date (Charizard, anybody?), but it also showed that Sakurai was willing to try new things. The concept of changing characters isn't new, but the concept of the stamina meter is, so you can see Sakurai us willing to take some risks. A great way to start off the week. I think the only thing bad about this update was the name. "Pokemon Trainer"? That's almost as bad as "Animal Crossing Boy". Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if an "Animal Crossing Boy" showed up sometime in the next two weeks....Darn it. I shouldn't have said anything....

Grade: A

August 14
Assist Trophy: Devil
Well, I can finally see where Sakurai was coming from when he said that obscure characters would be Assist Trophies, but I can't help but think this one would be cooler if I knew the character. Still, this Assist Trophy is one of the cooler ones, and something I really like about it is the fact that it doesn't raise a ton of questions and controversy, like the majority of other updates do. I really hope there is no religious crap about it though, cuz that would negate that last sentence. Cool update.

Grade: B-

August 15
Game Mode: Stickers
Everybody seems to be worried that these things will replace trophies, and that's why they don't like them. But in reality, there is no chance they will replace trophies, so when you think about it that way, they're just another cool feature and there's nothing really not to like about that. If you're wondering how I know these things won't replace trophies, I posted a rant about it in the Stickers thread, so go read that. The one thing I'm really wondering about these is if you can put them on characters and stuff. If you can, then these would be even cooler than trophies, so their grade really depends on if that's possible or not. Knowing the information we have though, I'll give this one a B. They're just another feature, and they don't get rid of anything, so what's not to like? People who say these are kiddy are forgetting that they're playing Smash Bros, not Mortal Kombat, so lighten up will ya? Also, there's nothing wrong with using pics from the internet. I don't see why people hate that so much.

Grade: B

August 16
How To Play: Tether Recovery
WTF? Do I even need to say anything about this one? The only thing this update told us is that Zamus' UpB probably sucks ***. The only thing worse than this is "You Must Recover", and they're both very similar.

Grade: D

August 17
Character: Peach
Well it's about time we got Peach. We should have got her last week! There's not a ton to say about her, I love her graphics wise, and it looks like her old moves are back, so basically I'm just as happy for her as I am for any other returning veteran. However, the deconfirmation of Toad kind of ruins this for me. Still, a great update, and the third picture made me lol.

Grade: A-

OVERALL
A pretty good week IMO. I pretty much predicted every single update, and I wasn't too surprised we saw two characters since we didn't see any last week. Still, Tether Recovery kind of ruined it, and I was really expecting there to be more Pokemon Trainer information, or at least a stage. Here's hoping for some Peach or PT moves next week (or even Yoshi moves, Sakurai us practically ignoring him).

Anyway, this week brought up a ton of questions to be answered, such as the trophy-sticker situation, how PT will work on scrolling stages, ect. but when you think about it, it answered a couple too. That's why I'm givin this week a B+. PT and Peach were mind blowing, but everything else kind of leveled it out to an average level.

Overall Grade: B+

Anyway, that's it, I can't wait to see your reviews (if this thread stays up long enough for them) lol.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
i also give this week a B+ though the tether recovery was not as good as last weeks update......

oh well this month is a A+++ for the info that we got so far anybody notice this?

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
This was my favorite week so far. Why? Because I got something I have wanted since the first smash trailer hit over a year ago: A pure new character addition. I love Ike, but I don't count him, because his moves so far are rather similar to Marth and he will most likely replace him. PT is completely new from the ground up and I can't wait to play as him.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yes, by all means, please check out the STICKY in General Brawl Discussion...

It's a nice effort, really, the grades and all give it a nice touch. But some of us put forth juuuuuust a bit more just to do the same recap concept each week...

Top Bottom