• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Occupying my Time before SSB 3DS Release

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I think about Super Smash Bros for the 3DS and Wii U WAY too much, so I was thinking that I should replay some older to not-so-old games before it releases. (Since after it releases I will have no interest in playing ANY other games. Which of the following do you think I should revisit?

1. Super Mario Sunshine- I haven't played this one in about 4 years. I'd like to replay it, although it will require me to plug in my Wii.
2. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword- I don't understand people's distaste for this game because I found it to be one of the most interesting and fun Zelda games to date. I've played through twice.
3. Metroid: Other M- Another one people didn't like that I loved. I actually cried when she ::SPOILER ALERT:: said goodbye to Adam for the last time. :cry:
4. Kirby's Epic Yarn- Relaxing and Exciting wrapped into one package. I played this game to death but I suppose it's been long enough now!
5.Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door- Made back when Paper Mario didn't suck... again, requires me to plug in my Wii but I'll do it!
6. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D- I've played this game so many thousands of times and yet it still never gets old. Should I give it a 3,000th try?
7. Kid Icarus: Uprising- I got to the 9th or 10th level of this and never looked back again... I didn't care too much for it. Should I give it a second try?
8. Pokémon X, Pearl, or White- I don't mind deleting my files now thanks to Pokémon Bank...
9. Wario Land: Shake It- Such an awesome game. I've only played through once but it was magical.
10. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story- best game in this franchise in my opinion... and yet I've only played it once!

Any opinions?????

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Hmmm... I'd say probably go with Sunshine or Thousand Year Door. Those are the only two I have any real experience with (outside of Kirby, but I feel like that's a game best played every few years or so).

RPGs and bigger games tend to be good for this kind of thing. I've actually got a load of stuff 'queued up' (for lack of a better phrase) to help kill the time between now and Smash 4. One thing to recommend, though, is sticking with a game (or two) until it's done, then moving on unless you're like me and don't follow that advice and end up about 1/3 to 1/2 way through a lot of stuff and confused about things when you go back.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Hmmm... I'd say probably go with Sunshine or Thousand Year Door. Those are the only two I have any real experience with (outside of Kirby, but I feel like that's a game best played every few years or so).

RPGs and bigger games tend to be good for this kind of thing. I've actually got a load of stuff 'queued up' (for lack of a better phrase) to help kill the time between now and Smash 4. One thing to recommend, though, is sticking with a game (or two) until it's done, then moving on unless you're like me and don't follow that advice and end up about 1/3 to 1/2 way through a lot of stuff and confused about things when you go back.
I'm thinking Sunshine might be the way to go. It's really the last console Mario Game that attempted to have a story... Plus unless I was just younger when I played it, I recall it being more challenging than the Galaxy games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm thinking Sunshine might be the way to go. It's really the last console Mario Game that attempted to have a story... Plus unless I was just younger when I played it, I recall it being more challenging than the Galaxy games.
I'd say play Sunshine if you haven't played it in awhile. As far as the story thing goes, I didn't like the story and I wish you could skip the cutscenes since the beginning takes so long. I think Galaxy did the story elements best. Had the most touching one and it wasn't required.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Nope, was definitely more difficult than Galaxy. I blame FLUDD (and double blame the FLUDDless secret levels).

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
@ Minato Minato yeah I can see what you mean... The story stuff can get old after you've seen it so many times. Mario's recent games seem to skip it altogether though which makes the games a lot less personal. I would LOVE it if they made a game that held the same basic concept but in a more open world (like 64 & Sunshine) and used Mario's numerous characters for story development. Wouldn't it be awesome to involve Wario, Waluigi and Daisy in some way?!

@ SomewhatMystia SomewhatMystia THE FLUDDLESS LEVELS! I forgot all about those... there was one in particular that I recall never beating now that I'm thinking about it... Yep. Sunshine is what I'm playing. Now I have a goal!

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I've been doing similar to hype up, pretty much playing whatever Nintendo titles are represented in SSB4.
But for recommendation: give Kid Icarus another chance. It's Sakurai's child and heavily represented in SSB4, plus its not that long either.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I've always felt bad about not finishing it... But I also had a really hard time adjusting to the controls. I changed them to my liking but even with them at my liking I hated the way Pit moved. There was one level where every time I tried to walk slowly I'd dash straight into hot lava. At that point I said "nope! Not doin it!" And never looked back. @ Tikivoy Tikivoy You liked it?

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I've always felt bad about not finishing it... But I also had a really hard time adjusting to the controls. I changed them to my liking but even with them at my liking I hated the way Pit moved. There was one level where every time I tried to walk slowly I'd dash straight into hot lava. At that point I said "nope! Not doin it!" And never looked back. @ Tikivoy Tikivoy You liked it?
Yup. Finished it twice by now. The controls do take some getting used to even if you change them, but I personally was fine with the default controls and stand, though I needed to stop every 40 minutes or so to relax my hand.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I have enough titles to wait for both smash bros games.

Take a look at my post on the Wii U thread; I don't think I ever made so many purchases in my life.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd probably say Thousand Year Door, but I'm bais because its my favorite Paper Mario game and I kinda have a thing for RPGs. Of course, Pokemon 4/5/6 are all great time sinks, although IMO 4 is probably the weakest of the bunch and 5 is the best.

I would say also OoT but given that you said that you've beaten it a million times I don't imagine it lasting you very long.

Of course, there's always the alternative option of seeking out new games.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Of course, there's always the alternative option of seeking out new games.
Or going through your entirely-too-neglected backlog, which is why I've been playing a metric half-ton of Little King's Story (fantasy pikmin) and Legend of Grimrock (which reminds me that i need map paper).

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Play all the games you listed, see if you can beat them all before Smash Bros 3DS comes out, that's what I'm doing on Minecraft, I started a project in making the entire Zelda 1 map including the dungeons and secret areas and my plan is to complete it before at least Hyrule Warriors comes out cause I'm just as hyped for that as I am for Smash 4.

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
Sunshine. 3D Mario is one of the only series in which I can keep replaying the game to 100% over and over again and never get bored. But that's just me.

S3OL

Smash Rookie
NNID
S3OL-001
If I'm honest, I'd go with Sunshine. I absolutely love that game to death and it either needs a HD remake or sequel.

I'm currently playing through some indie titles and I own quite a few VC games too so I'm pretty preoccupied myself.

Top Bottom