• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that the game has been out for a while, who do you think is actually imba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
For clarification IMBA means imbalanced. I don't want to use the term overpowered, because it has such a poor stigma and connotation, but I think that imbalanced is a good way to summarize how one character might just be a little more powerful overall than others.

I don't want to hear any rants, I just want some rational people to voice their opinions about the balance of the game. We all know it's not perfect, and so I think it's ok for us to have a rational little discussion about who may or may not have an advantage over the rest of the characters in the general meta, and why.

Originally I would have immediately said :4littlemac:, but now that I've seen and played against him probably 20xx times, I don't dislike him for his strength, just for the play-style he forces me to use.

At this point however, I do feel that :rosalina: is extremely powerful because she's so hard to hit with luma around. Even without him she has such a good move-set, it's hard for me to find a weakness with her. I play her a lot and really enjoy her, but the only time I ever lose is if someone is performing really well with a rush-down character like Falcon or Sahnic or some ****. I would definitely call her IMBA at this point.

:4yoshi: also seems weirdly powerful due to his apparent lack of start-up or recovery in moves. He's always a tough opponent, but I don't think I would consider him IMBA, just well suited to the meta.

:4sonic: seems a little broken at the moment, I don't see how to deal with a player that is on point with him. even if you do manage to survive, it's a pretty safe bet you're going to go to sudden death. Not sure if I'd call him IMBA, but I definitely think he's an extremely poorly designed character.

:4sheik: along with Yoshi feels like a Melee character that just fell into Sm4sh and didn't get the right tuning for the meta. I've not mastered her, but I know that if I did I would be nigh unbeatable. I feel she was one of, if not the, best character in Melee, and I have trouble calling her anything but top-tier in this game as well, perhaps even IMBA.
I know a lot of people won't agree with me but :4dedede:gives me an enormous amount of trouble. The gordo buff seems ridiculous to me, and I hate it, but I really like playing him because he's so damned stylish. Of course I wouldn't say he's IMBA, I've beaten him and been beaten as him too many times, but damn does a good D3 frustrate the hell out of me.

So these are my characters that I feel stand out in the current meta as perhaps a little out of tune. What do you guys think?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Status