• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that more time has passed...

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
how do you feel wario is? do you feel hes moving up in tiers or dropping. i feel hes getting better esp since people are becoming more comfortable @ MUs with him. people are adapting to playing him better and not playing him like brawl wario. Reflex was pretty damn impressive with him at Kit, Malcom looked great, and Abadango played solid last night wit him in a pre apex tourney and even defeated vinnies sheik(and i feel abadango was playing way to defensive). i think hes still hard to use and plays very differently from brawl that he might be a turn off to most players and a big reason we dont see many more warios placing top 8. i havent changed my stance on where he ranks. i feel hes top 15 and could potentially be even higher. the tools are fantastic and getting kills is not as hard as people make it out ot be. ftilt bair waft and upsmash(OOS) all fantastic. i feel bite makes his edge guarding game a complete nightmare for most people and i feel he has top notch edge guarding game. i only see him going up from here.

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
I think that Wario has always been a really good character but not many people play him because they don't know how to use him properly. I think Reflex was a really good Wario, and utilized his bike and waft really well. Wario is underestimated by a lot of people, but I also think he's a top 15 character.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I think hes top 15 as well. He seems to be getting alot of attention here in norcal as a wario by the tag of Jeepy (brawl veteran) 6-0'd a diddy kong who wins a large amount of norcal tourneys. I also find that training your opponent to believe your going to edgeguard with bite/bike and instead walking off with dair can lead to some great KO's and possible gimps if they miss the tech when hit towards the stage, its multi hit box makes it hard to avoid. Also as your mentioned upsmash OOS is a must ! it is amazing! I love the feeling of having an oppenent space wrong when your on a platform above them and you get that upsmash OOS, its great ! Master upsmash OOS, its simple and great !

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've never been very good with Wario, but I do feel he is a very solid character as he was in Brawl.

Maffew

Smash Rookie
NNID
mafffew
Wario has so much potential, people are starting to catch on to how good he is but he's still just beyond underrated. He'll never be top teir just due to how incredibly difficult he is to use, but Reflex's kit performance is a shining example of Wario's viability. Side note, he was doing that well in a 3 stock game, I think 2 stocks is so much better for Wario. By far the most impressive high level play so far. I'm very happy with how successful Abadango's Wario was, but you're definately right about him being overly defensive. He was far to reliant on using bike as an approach which Mr. R was able to punish every single time by the 3rd set. Abadango wasn't mixing up his fair approaches with bite hardly at all, he really only used bite at the ledge and I think that hurt him too. But that being said its Wario vs Mr. r's sheik, great job.

But Wario within this game engine is perfect, he's fat and has essentially an ungimpable recovery so he's able to live forever. So he's actually able to hold on to his rage and make use of it.
Wario's bite makes shielding an unsafe option, in a game where shielding is the most free option ever, that's a pretty big deal. Yes it can be hard to land a kill with him, but honestly 1. He has kill throws and 2. Waft kills at 40.. Not to mention IT CAN BE COMBOED INTO. So there's that.
His off stage / gimp game is beyond solid too, so eventually that will become less of an issue.

I feel like people under rate him so much because they just think thag what he does is gimicky and an unknown matchup. But in reality he just has constant 50/50 mix ups and mind games, no matter how well you know the match up.

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
I love Wario so much. He's so damn fun to use, and he has a ridiculous number of mix-ups with his bike. If it goes off-stage, you can just throw out constant bike-jump aerials and confuse the **** out of your opponent.

Also, I notice a lot of people on For Glory not noticing the Waft is charged, and fall victim to it, so lack of match-up knowledge on your opponent's end can bag you a win, too.

I love characters like him who are quirky and slightly gimmicky, because you can KO people with pure confusion and lack of knowledge. I don't know anyone that can run an in-depth Wario analysis in my local smash community.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Wario is only suffering right now because not a lot of people play him. He's not the most popular character and his playstyle is unique so few people have experimented with him. Which is a shame since Wario is definitely a high tier. Thankfully we're starting to see Wario get used a bit more now.

I think hes top 15 as well. He seems to be getting alot of attention here in norcal as a wario by the tag of Jeepy (brawl veteran) 6-0'd a diddy kong who wins a large amount of norcal tourneys. I also find that training your opponent to believe your going to edgeguard with bite/bike and instead walking off with dair can lead to some great KO's and possible gimps if they miss the tech when hit towards the stage, its multi hit box makes it hard to avoid. Also as your mentioned upsmash OOS is a must ! it is amazing! I love the feeling of having an oppenent space wrong when your on a platform above them and you get that upsmash OOS, its great ! Master upsmash OOS, its simple and great !
Off-topic, but how do you Up Smash OOS? I though you could only jump or grab OOS? Personally I've been trying short hop NAir OOS but this sounds interesting and good.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
You need to press jump and up smash at the Same time . Pressing jump cancels your shield and if you up smash quick enough it will cancel the jump. So if an opponent hits your shield that the quickest way to up smash punish then if they don't space . Also nair out of shield is very good aswrll
Wario is only suffering right now because not a lot of people play him. He's not the most popular character and his playstyle is unique so few people have experimented with him. Which is a shame since Wario is definitely a high tier. Thankfully we're starting to see Wario get used a bit more now.

Off-topic, but how do you Up Smash OOS? I though you could only jump or grab OOS? Personally I've been trying short hop NAir OOS but this sounds interesting and good.
You p

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
What's your custom controls for doing that then? Just because I usually have Tap Jump off and C-stick set to do Tilts.

Maffew

Smash Rookie
NNID
mafffew
What's your custom controls for doing that then? Just because I usually have Tap Jump off and C-stick set to do Tilts.
While in your shield hold/tilt up press jump and then quickly press A. It's really very simple after you've done it for the first time.

_gold_

Smash Master
I hated him at first. They changed his smash attacks (which I'm still kind of bummed about), but I've gotten used to them. After using him a bit more, he feels really good. He's remotely quick, strong, and hard to knock off.
My main is typically ZSS. Well, I'm pretty sure I played a person who was slightly better than me with ZSS. I was playing as Wario. We ended up playing 5 matches, and I won 3 out of the 5. He feels great!

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Wario's kit all feels like it ties together well, it's weird more people aren't playing him. Stuff like dash attack tripping and then reading their recovery for more damage, the versatility of his bike and chomp which includes fueling his waft, free projectile, gimping a recovery too close to the ledge, countering rolls and shields etc. I really like landing his d-air before it finishes, hitting the ground and then using the corkscrew for an easy bit of damage.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I really like landing his d-air before it finishes, hitting the ground and then using the corkscrew for an easy bit of damage.
Try doing that with the waft for delicious results. Sometimes works with Usmash too if you have enough rage.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
One thing I love about Wario is his jerky movements. His fastest attacks (D-tilt, F-Air, jab) practically come out of nowhere, which sort of makes up for his slow smashes.

another thing I've been trying out: His dash attack has a sour spot that 100% of the time, trips the opponent, and also works as a jab lock to boot. This works really well if the opponent misses the tech on Wario's D-Throw.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
d-tilt is probably my favourite move in smash 4. so fast (comes out frame 5 and has basically no cooldown) not to mention the grab and jab follow-ups. :)
I basically spam the hell out of d-tilt whenever im grounded after sh fairs / nairs. 2nd hit nair --> waft is also awesome

Top Bottom