• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Normal Quick attack Or Meteor Quick attack in customs?

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I have been wondering this lately, with the new appearlingly highly viable infinite Pikachu has with his thunder wave Neutral B custom seen here it seems Pika benefits from having a meteor QA custom to extend the infinite, in fact it seems kind of mandatory if you really want to keep your infinite going until death. However, this custom is ATROCIOUS, for manuevering around as Pikachu, it is a gigantic downside, and I don't know whether to use it or not. I know theres really no correct answer since both have their benefits and downsides, but I think I'm going to personally go with the Normal Quick attack, since pika actually kills very early with his skull bash custom, and you could use that to kill instead of the meteor quick attack, which continues the infinite.

What custom will you use?

Ok, it is kind of obvious that Quick Attack is the way to go, but now my question is Thunder Wave Vs. Thunder Jolt. Which one do you use and when?

Last edited:

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I think I'll stick with the best up B in the game, thanks.

Tyranitarphantom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SwitcherooTtar
That infinite is totally swell and all, but Meteor Quick Attack is way too terrible to be using. Thunder Wave chains are neat, and might be worth using in certain matchups, but generally, Pika is best with all 1311 (Defaults except Heavy Skull Bash).

Thor

Smash Champion
If you really love the Thunder Wave chains, it might be best to just learn the chains and always finish at the edge with HSB or fsmash in order to set up an edgeguard, since Pikachu's edgeguard game is very strong and it's still going to do nice damage. This sort of thing will also definitely KO the lighter characters, that is, I don't think you actually need the MQA lock to finish off some characters [it might be necessary for like Bowser or whatever, but Puff should just straight up die at the ledge at 70% to partially charged fsmash].

You could also attempt to finish the lock with uthrow thunder or usmash thunder at the ledge, since that will do more damage at the end of the lock and even if it doesn't KO, set up for an edgeguard.

I don't really think meteor QA is necessary, although I suspect when custom movesets are redone, we might replace one of the lesser sets with 2321 to make it an option for those who want to use the lock [if it's not out].

Soul.

Quick Attack. Always. The infinite is silly if you ask me.
Meteor QA is just not good really. An "infinite" won't make a move good. That's just what I think though.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Don't give up Pika's maneuverability of the original QA for some inconsistent gimmick. It's arguably even more useful in this game than it was in Brawl.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've come to realize that it is obviously quick attack. Meteor QA is terrible. So how about Thunder wave Vs Thunder jolt? I've been curious about when to use either.

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
Yeah, I've come to realize that it is obviously quick attack. Meteor QA is terrible. So how about Thunder wave Vs Thunder jolt? I've been curious about when to use either.
I feel like this is MU dependent. Like vs. a Custom Villager I am going to use default thunder stock 100% so I can stay at a safe range while still applying pressure.

Cocoa Brova

Smash Cadet
NNID
eydoc14
3DS FC
4012-5269-2281
I'd personally use thunder wave as my typical custom and thunder jolt if the matchup makes it risky (like if you're dealing with villager), can't turn down more kill set ups =]

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I'd personally use thunder wave as my typical custom and thunder jolt if the matchup makes it risky (like if you're dealing with villager), can't turn down more kill set ups =]
Yeah, I noticed that ESAM switches around between Thunder Wave and Thunder Jolt. Wave is good for those kill setups and combos, but Jolt is better for camping and stage control since they go farther and hang around for longer. For example, in ESAM's EVO qualifier match against StaticManny's Hammer SideB Sonic, ESAM switched from Wave to Jolt mid-set, likely to help control Sanic's jumpy-spinny shenanigans. Take what you need, right? I feel like NeutralB is the only special that we really have a choice on, haha.

D

Deleted member

I use thunder jolt to help cover landings and fight edge guarding when recovering because of the superior range. Having said that, Pikachu should be able to recover for free with QA anyways, so thunder wave is probably the better option. The superior range of jolt might make stage control nicer, but wave gives you kill set ups, and the opponent has to respect it more (or die). I just haven't practiced enough with it yet to feel confident using it in bracket.

Top Bottom