• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

noob questions from a Street Fighter/Soulcalibur player

Perk

need coffee
hey all. As title says, street fighter and soulcalibur player here, and looking to get into smash. I've always played them super casually at parties with items on and 4-8 players. I've played street fighter casually-competitive (played regularly in tournaments both local and at CPT events, practice execution, frames, labbed moves and discovered solutions for how to beat x/y/z moves or characters) so I definitely understand the competitive fighting scene, but I'm not sure where to start with smash.

is there a way to make a training dummy spam a certain move so that I can practice beating it out?

are there certain things you guys would drill as a warmup? for instance I usually queue for ranked while practicing larger hit confirm combos in SF

is there anything you would use that shows frame data, or an app? in SF we have a few apps to choose from that will show frame data in a given matchup

any help is welcome, or even pointing me to some guides for bnbs and whatnot. obvi dont have a main or anything, but I have smash for Wii U and loaded it up to try out cloud and Ryu and they both seem really fun, and I played megaman generally whenever I would play with friends. I definitely like characters that have a tool for every situation (the Belmonts look really fun IMO)

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
Ult has a frame by frame on replays.
Also in terms of combos, smash is far more free flowing, as in, unlike traditional fighting games, you dont need to memorize a string of inputs to pull off a combo.
As for the training thing, I dont know. The training mode in game doesnt seem super robust from what I saw.
Warmup is often For Glory matches and matchmaking.
Smash is really simple compared to other fighting games, but that simplicity makes it almost incomparable compared to traditional fighters.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Unfortunately, Smash’s training mode does not have a record function, but there is an option to use other modes with a match finder running in the background. As a SF player myself, I found training mode extremely underwhelming.

Perk

need coffee
I see, glad to hear that replays are coming out. I guess another question isL are there any guides for movement?I feel like im moving really slow compared with what I see at tournaments. i know theres slight direction button inputs for more moves too. I guess im looking for universal things that would help while learning.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I see, glad to hear that replays are coming out. I guess another question isL are there any guides for movement?I feel like im moving really slow compared with what I see at tournaments. i know theres slight direction button inputs for more moves too. I guess im looking for universal things that would help while learning.
Obviously there are not a lot of guides yet for what you are looking for, but Kurogane Hammer has broken down every character for Smash 4. Since he is still very active in the community, it is a safe bet that he will do the same with Ultimate. Here is his website.

Perk

need coffee
that is super helpful. definitely something I was looking for. any other good content creators or guides just about general gameplay and strategy? looking to ingest as much about movement and all that as I can.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
that is super helpful. definitely something I was looking for. any other good content creators or guides just about general gameplay and strategy? looking to ingest as much about movement and all that as I can.
Best I can tell you is to search the guides here onsite. I've never played competitively, so outside Smashboards, I am not familiar with too many resources.

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
Izaw provides excellent character guides. Movement in this game seems simple yet effective. Watch pro gameplay and the invitational to get a good sense of the general pace.

Perk

need coffee
awesome. I will check those out. just wanted to be sure there wasn't some obvious thing that I'd be overlook. much appresh

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
hey all. As title says, street fighter and soulcalibur player here, and looking to get into smash. I've always played them super casually at parties with items on and 4-8 players. I've played street fighter casually-competitive (played regularly in tournaments both local and at CPT events, practice execution, frames, labbed moves and discovered solutions for how to beat x/y/z moves or characters) so I definitely understand the competitive fighting scene, but I'm not sure where to start with smash.

is there a way to make a training dummy spam a certain move so that I can practice beating it out?

are there certain things you guys would drill as a warmup? for instance I usually queue for ranked while practicing larger hit confirm combos in SF

is there anything you would use that shows frame data, or an app? in SF we have a few apps to choose from that will show frame data in a given matchup

any help is welcome, or even pointing me to some guides for bnbs and whatnot. obvi dont have a main or anything, but I have smash for Wii U and loaded it up to try out cloud and Ryu and they both seem really fun, and I played megaman generally whenever I would play with friends. I definitely like characters that have a tool for every situation (the Belmonts look really fun IMO)
I don't think an app with frame data exists, but you have a site, Kurogane-Hammer, which provide stats, frame data and others feature for competitive Smash scene.

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice

What game(s) are you looking at playing? It would help to know as every game is different.

Perk

need coffee
I'd only be playing Smash Ultimate. I've heard in passing, that melee had a lot of tech and stuff similar to things like Option Selects like we had in SF (which is kind of what I was looking for) but I'm guessing that aside from melee, tech like that didn't really carry over to the rest of the series. Mostly just looking for nuanced strategies and general knowledge for example in SF, we'd always tell a new player to always block low, but to switch into stand block only when reacting to an overhead. Little things that would be unknown to someone who never really played it aside from parties.

Top Bottom