• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noob at Mario

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
From the little that I've watched, I'd say it be better if you did more SHs, especially when combined with Bair and Uair. It doesn't hurt to use more fireballs, either. And lastly, FLUDD is your friend.

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
I've never quite gotten the hang of FLUDD, I guess that'll be my first thing to work on in Training Mode. That, and I probably should turn off Tap Jump. My friend told me to do it when we first got Brawl, but I never did... my bad.

Thanks. =)

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
says videos have been taken down...
was that you? or youtube [ i know there doing work on the site atm]

fox219

Smash Journeyman
you're pretty above decent. Don't think you're bad. It's easy to be good with mario. I have your playstyle. You just need to sidestep more. I didn't see much shielding. Anyways, good luck on your practice

fox219

Smash Journeyman
I've never quite gotten the hang of FLUDD, I guess that'll be my first thing to work on in Training Mode. That, and I probably should turn off Tap Jump. My friend told me to do it when we first got Brawl, but I never did... my bad.

Thanks. =)
you can c-stick in midair to do midair attacks so you don't rreally need to turn off tap jump. I turn it off though since I can't do my u-tilts. I don't really like f.l.u.d.d.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
agh...that sucks, post when there up

btw, put ur location in ur profile so people know where your at. =]

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Thankfully I was able to see the first video before the problem came up, because I'm seeing it too.

In any case, you were getting zoned heavily by Squirtle. Contest his range with B-air and N-air. It beats his and renders his aerials pretty useless.

You were using F-air too much on stage. Whenever the opponent is in the air after being hit, U-air or B-air should take priority over everything else. You can use D-air as well but that doesn't go too well into combos after the damage is high enough.

In full honesty you seem to have the same problem I was having when I was first starting out. You're too grounded and you rely on his ground game a bit much, especially dash attack. You continously kept getting punished for that. Incorperate Short hops in your game and you won't get attacked as easily.

Lastly, you were rolling too much and you got punished for that pretty easily as well. Start doing SHADs (Short Hop Air Dodges) and spotdodging. They'll allow you to attack faster. Oh, and remember you can always shield.

I suggest getting this stuff down before learning about FLUDD uses. These are way more important.

All in all, a decent Mario that's still learning the basics. That's not bad at all. Just keep it up and you'll do well. Watch some videos of other good Mario mains and you'll see what you have to incorporate in your game.

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
I only really started any kind of advanced maneuvers a month or two ago. I almost never shielded or air dodged, and I still never grab (another problem, I know Mario's Back Throw is fairly effective with high damage).

Thanks to everyone, and I'll be sure to get those vids up again ASAP.

=)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's easy to be good with mario.
It's also easy to have no clue what the **** you're talking about.

Alright then, now about the Mario...

You need to use aerials. A LOT more. You abuse fsmash, getting rid of it's kill potential. Overall, it's pretty obvious you're new to Mario. You also didn't seem to use fireballs as much as you needed to.

You're pretty much the new Mario. There's definately room for improvement.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lol, Skyler never pulls any punches.

He's right though. Mario is not easy to get good with...

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
I know that, I've been playing Mario since the original Smash (obviously not with any sort of advanced skill or strategy, just for fun). I have a lot to work on, especially if I want to beat my friends (who main Lucario, PT, Pikachu, Marth, Toon Link, and Ike)...

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Cool. It's great that we have somebody new whose trying to pick up the plumber.

The first step to becoming better? Read the stickies.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You've definately improved. Yeah, you did airdodge a bit to much, and you should NEVER try an aerial approach on Zelda because of her upsmash. You needed to use fireballs more, and do need to start using the FLUDD.

You've gotten better.

Inyro Gatling

Smash Journeyman
I'm not used to facing a Zelda. I'm normally fighting PT or Pikachu.

And yeah, I was focusing a lot on the air dodges, so I ended up almost forgetting about FLUDD (I'm going to need a lot of training with that). Thanks for the advice. =)

ducky98

Smash Cadet
I'm defenitly going with XeroXen here. You need more B Airs and Fireballs. Your style seems to work against your friend there, but I think you would get wrecked if his squirtle use a few back airs. Trust me i play the pt in that matchup.

Top Bottom