• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No love for Samus on Kaillera???

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I have noticed that nearly no one plays Samus in 1v1 or even ffa/teams on Kaillera. I know that she is one of the lower tier characters, and her grab is just asking for a falcon punch to the face, but come on, its Samus. I am a major fan of the z canceled dairs, and if they are not teched (I do realize that good players will tech this nearly everytime), then you can combo (not exactly a combo, morelike ness's DJC dairs) up to 70 damage or so. I realize that her move set has low priority, but her bair is another of my favorites. She is also fairly difficult to edge guard (though definetly not impossible because her upb does not cover hardly any horizontal distance). Her up b is also a good combo breaker, and has the chance of breaking a shield if they do not drop it fast enough. So I was just wonderin where the love is for good old samus on ssb.

_kSo_

Smash Master
she is 2nd to lowest on the tier list. Link comes last, sadly, because of his recovery. However samus is awkward to play and only has a few combos, all of which are maximum 3-4 hits. (Excluding screw attack). She does not have many flashy things to do and she is quite slow. however, I found her fairly entertaining to use ( i dont use her on kaillera tho). If people look for a change of pace, they usually look to link.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Samus is difficult to manage. You HAVE to be flawless at z-cancelling and multiple dairs + bairs per jump in order to play her, while other characters are more straightforward. Its not a matter of better or worse attacks, its more a matter of whether one takes the time to learn a playstyle so different from other characters.

Play ;l <-- yes, that is his name, I know, very short) on Kalleira-- his Samus is precise, and he chains attacks onto your shield so you can't escape.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what you call it when you are the minority yet you have a passion for something that most other ppl don't understand? a FETISH. yes bj, you have a samus fetish.

haha, all kidding aside, you do have a pretty sweet Samus, and the reason i think ppl don't like to use samus is because she is slow to use. Everything about her is slow so in order to effectively use her, you're timing has to be impeccable. You have to how long each move lasts, how long the hitbox will exist for, etc. etc. whereas for quicker characters you can kind of get away with it a little more without paying the consequences...

so yeah thats what i could come up with.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Samus has hardly any combos. Only combo i'v seen of her is in 2 combo videos

Nephiro's combo video which was 14 or 15 minutes long and featured 5 characters (I think).
Samus had only like 4 combos

Another being dredays SMALL yoshi and samus combo video. It was a small 3 minute vid with samus and yoshi...Mostly yoshi.

But if your looking for a good samus hit dreday up

Edit : OMFG 3 people post while i typed this!??!?!?!?

_kSo_

Smash Master
...in order to effectively use her, you're timing has to be impeccable. .
Very true, and that's another reason people don't play her online. I would play her online, but the fact that kaillera isn't lag free, it makes the impeccable timing of her canceling and whatnot 10 times harder. I'm sure there are a lot of samus players out there, just none on kaillera

*edit* Ahahaha i beat you to it cmasterchoe

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
samus just isn't really fun to play. She just drags the match out with bombs and quick recovery time. Very limited amount of actual useful moves. No good combos that don't involve the hyrule wall. very slow character. High short hops. No roll. No grab. Why would you actually want to play her :/

Zantetsu

Smash Master
In my oppinon samus should be lower then link. Link is a great character but his sucky recovery makes him bottom.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Samus is fun to use. :(

And there are some Samus users on Kaillera, like me, Nintendude, and Beast.

mask man

Smash Cadet
i agree with gust.
but i have been playing link over 5 years and im trying to land the z cancels on my dair stabs.
but i have seen samuses screw at the max,if you use that like whoever i was facing you can pwn .

jayrico

Smash Apprentice
samus just isn't really fun to play. She just drags the match out with bombs and quick recovery time. Very limited amount of actual useful moves. No good combos that don't involve the hyrule wall. very slow character. High short hops. No roll. No grab. Why would you actually want to play her :/
Also samus has the worst uair in the game, and terrible utilt and usmash. I guess if you like to rely mainly on mind games to win matches then Samus could be a fun character to use.

mask man

Smash Cadet
i just got an idea, for a team battle if samus is playing,she starts juggling,teamate spikes the opponent straght down and samus goes into a drill.no,up A then teammate either makes it into a ground combo or just does some attack,pikachu useing the Fair or down B would be nice,then samus finnishes with another drill.

im not much a battle tech guy but i guess something like this could be done,although there might be a problem cuss of the opponents parter if there is one.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I dread pro Samuses because I main Jigglypuff.

I guess Samus, along with Kirby, has the "noob's character" label. Many new players think that Samus is good because of her charge shot and ranged grab.

Top Bottom