• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No DQ representatives in Smash Bros? Where's the love?

Does DQ need a Smash representative?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Seriously, how is this not a thing yet? It's not like they're lost for choice or ideas with this one - the obvious choice is the legendary DQ hero Erdrick.

DQ really could do with some much needed recognition in the west, and I think a good Smash Bros. rep would achieve that (See: Fire Emblem. :V). With DQIX being such a hit on DS, and new, good DQ games and spin-offs coming out pretty often, it's about time they gave the series some love in Smash.

IDK if there's something wrong with Square Enix, Nintendo, or their business relationship or something, but they really need to let this happen IMO. I don't feel it was enough getting a slime or two into Mario Sports Mix and having Mario in Fortune/Boom Street, DQ needs some serious love to give it the recognition it deserves, and Smash needs another cool series to add to it's ranks.

Discuss. :V

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I always wanted a Slime & Chocobo team... they would have represented both Dragon Quest series and Final Fantasy series... and represented the union between Enix and Square Soft.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't think that Dairy Queen or any similar organization should receive representation in Smash. Besides, if they go down that route Ronald McDonald seems like a much more obvious option, no?

(Dragon Quest definitely seems prominent enough to deserve representation at some point, but Slime (the most requested representative) has never really appealed to me)

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I personally don't think that Dairy Queen or any similar organization should receive representation in Smash. Besides, if they go down that route Ronald McDonald seems like a much more obvious option, no?

(Dragon Quest definitely seems prominent enough to deserve representation at some point, but Slime (the most requested representative) has never really appealed to me)
(Haaah, at the Dairy Queen joke. :V)

No, but in all fairness, I think slime would be best left to an assist, or maybe even part of the DQ rep's Final Smash. Erdrick is pretty much my obvious choice, and I don't know why it isn't everyone else's.

"Where's the love?"

Probably in Japan. :p
It needs to get out of Japan damnit! :grrr:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I had an idea for a Dragon Quest character - it's a long shot, but I was thinking about how that could work. Dragon Quest is certainly popular on Nintendo consoles, it's crossed over with Mario multiple times, and Square-Enix has certainly put a lot behind it, at least in Japan.

My main concerns are that Erdrick (or Loto, or whatever his name is) would be too generic to work with (seeing as he's a swordsman with fire spells - unless there's something that I missed, that's not really bringing anything new to the table), and Slime has the issue of lacking anything that resembles arms or legs (it could still work, but it would probably be tougher to make).

I thought that Dragon Lord, the final boss of the first game could be a possibility - he'd stand out from the rest of the third party characters (in that he's a villain with a considerably different design), and compared to the rest of the Smash Bros. cast, he'd be fairly unique in terms of how he fights, seeing as there aren't a whole lot of straight-up spellcasters on the roster. Plus, he's pretty iconic within the series, seeing as he's playable in Fortune Street, unlockable in all of the Dragon Quest Monsters games, and a bonus boss in Dragon Quest 9.

I know that it will probably never happen, but it's just a thought that I had.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Square Enix are idiots.
The FFVII port on PS4 and "Tomb raider didn't sell well" should be enough to see that.
If this was the Square of old then there'd be Geno, FF and DQ in Smash.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
My main concerns are that Erdrick (or Loto, or whatever his name is) would be too generic to work with (seeing as he's a swordsman with fire spells - unless there's something that I missed, that's not really bringing anything new to the table), and Slime has the issue of lacking anything that resembles arms or legs (it could still work, but it would probably be tougher to make).
To be honest, there aren't many - if any - spellswords except Robin really in Smash. -and Erdrick is a long line of notable heroes, not just the one, with an equipment set just as legendary to match. The iconic look and access to magic makes him definately far from generic in terms of heroes.

-and your idea is pretty good, honestly. -though, I have no idea how you can say there aren't many spellcasters on the roster. I mean, sure, no-one uses solely spells, but that's because a lot of characters just have magic infused attacks, instead.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
True. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about Dragon Quest (though I've been trying to change that; my main experience with the franchise is with the Dragon Warrior Monsters game for Game Boy Colour), so I didn't know that Erdrick had an iconic set of equipment.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
True. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about Dragon Quest (though I've been trying to change that; my main experience with the franchise is with the Dragon Warrior Monsters game for Game Boy Colour), so I didn't know that Erdrick had an iconic set of equipment.

Yeah, this is the armour set that reccurs a bit in the DQ series usually known as "Erdrick's Armour/Sword/Etc.". To be honest, I think the armour hasn't been in most of the games, but it's definately the most recognisable gear from DQ by a good margin IMO, and the legendary hero himself is mentioned or referenced from time to time in the games as far as I can tell.

The real issue with a solid DQ rep is that the game's heroes are usually different than the last, and unnamed, so Erdrick is kinda the closest there is. Though, he's profilic enough to be in in my opinion, and was a connecting factor between the first 3 DQ games, regardless of if he was truly present or not.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You could say the same thing about Pokemon, and yet the Pokemon trainer was playable at one point. The situation's different since one's Nintendo-owned and one's third party, but at least it shows that there's some precedent, especially if Erdrick is that iconic.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You could say the same thing about Pokemon, and yet the Pokemon trainer was playable at one point. The situation's different since one's Nintendo-owned and one's third party, but at least it shows that there's some precedent, especially if Erdrick is that iconic.
Yeah, but that image of a Pokemon trainer - that "Red/Ash" sorta look - is iconic in itself. It wouldn't have been hard to pick a look for the trainer himself. I think Erdrick kinda has that same feel to him.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Here's my idea and I'm just throwing this out there but what if the Dragon Quest representative was the Heroes from Dragon Quest 1-8 that work as alternates similar like Bowser Jr and the Kooplings but each hero carries a slime with them like on their shoulders, something like Jak & Daxter and this way the slime can assist in team attacks and this way the Moveset can be the same for the alternate heroes.

Top Bottom