• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NINTENDO ESHOPS GETTING “EXTENDED MAINTENANCE” ON THURSDAY

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
Nintendo has confirmed that both the Wii U eShop and the Nintendo 3DS eShop will be going through extended maintenance on Thursday. This has let some to believe that there will be a Nintendo Direct this week, though this is obviously unconfirmed. The eShop’s will be down Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 1pm Pacific.

“During the extended maintenance, parts of the affected services may be intermittently unavailable.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/03/09/nintendo-eshops-getting-extended-maintenance-on-thursday/

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I swear, we've run into this situation before. Whether or not that ended in a Direct, I have no idea. But anyway, it'll be good to keep our collective eyes on this piece of info.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
might be a good time to announce snake if he is in since his game is coming in march 14th

Dairz

Smash Ace
I could only see the "NINTENDO ESHOP" part of the title in all caps, and I thought, just maybe, a demo was being released... Even if there is a direct, no way a newcomer would be shown so soon from Little Mac.

Last edited:

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Wasn't the extended maintenance last time for the release of Tropical Freeze? Or is there another one I'm forgetting about?

Perhaps they're preparing a direct for the official end of the Year of Luigi?

inb4YearofYoshi

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pretty sure we've had maintenance and no direct/big game before.

Nonetheless, it's a fairly good sign. I'll be keeping my expectations in chech though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Any way we can track when big maintenance happened?

It may just be to stop promoting the year of Luigi.

Shroob

Sup?
If anything, it'll just be the "Year of Yoshi". Though, I would laugh if it were Snake and all we got for the rest of the month was Snake info like Sonic in October.

D

Deleted member

I'm not counting on a Nintendo Direct or anything like that. I think it is was it is; an extended maintenance.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I wouldn't get too excited there. Whenever the Pokemon Global Link had to go through maintenance, we got absolutely nothing afterwards.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't get too excited there. Whenever the Pokemon Global Link had to go through maintenance, we got absolutely nothing afterwards.
Pokémon Global Link =/= Nintendo E-Shop. Nintendo E-Shop is a universal Nintendo thing, Pokémon Global Link is just a small thing that's run by 2nd party company Game Freak.

I don't think this will necessarily equal a Nintendo Direct though, and if it does there's still the chance it won't have any Smash info, like the Rosalina in SM3DW Direct that happened in between the Sonic and Rosalina Directs.
might be a good time to announce snake if he is in since his game is coming in march 14th
That's a good time to not announce Snake if anything. Remember, the Metal Gear Solid franchise is competition in Nintendo's eyes, even if Sakurai is friends with Kojima I can imagine Iwata and co. won't be too happy about Sakurai advertising a game that can only be found on rival consoles.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Pokémon Global Link =/= Nintendo E-Shop. Nintendo E-Shop is a universal Nintendo thing, Pokémon Global Link is just a small thing that's run by 2nd party company Game Freak.

I don't think this will necessarily equal a Nintendo Direct though, and if it does there's still the chance it won't have any Smash info, like the Rosalina in SM3DW Direct that happened in between the Sonic and Rosalina Directs.

That's a good time to not announce Snake if anything. Remember, the Metal Gear Solid franchise is competition in Nintendo's eyes, even if Sakurai is friends with Kojima I can imagine Iwata and co. won't be too happy about Sakurai advertising a game that can only be found on rival consoles.
Maybe if Kojima wasn't a massive asshole and made Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes for Wii U...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe if Kojima wasn't a massive ******* and made Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes for Wii U...
Eh, Kojima's a pretty cool guy. All things considered I do understand why Metal Gear isn't on the Wii U, its audience is miles apart from the people that buy a Nintendo console, always have been and probably always will be (with the exception of the Gamecube-era I suppose, in which case the Playstation 2 was better at everything anyways.)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Annndd??? Are we expecting a direct now?
I think it's just maintenance, but I could be wrong.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Eh, Kojima's a pretty cool guy. All things considered I do understand why Metal Gear isn't on the Wii U, its audience is miles apart from the people that buy a Nintendo console, always have been and probably always will be (with the exception of the Gamecube-era I suppose, in which case the Playstation 2 was better at everything anyways.)
Except games, Gamecube had better games, but I hate Kojima for other reasons too, like the fact that he has said that videogames aren't an art form more than a couple times.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Except games, Gamecube had better games, but I hate Kojima for other reasons too, like the fact that he has said that videogames aren't an art form more than a couple times.
Ironically enough, some of his games are in the Art of Video Games exhibit. :p

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
Iirc there was an extended maintenance during january which obviously lead to nothing. Could be wrong though. It is just because everyone was expecting a Direct at that time

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'm gonna have to say no.
Maybe there will be an announcement, but it is incredibly unlikely for now.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've noticed that they haven't released the list of games for Nintendo of Europe's Nintendo Download (which shows up regularly every Monday morning). Sometimes when Europe's Nintendo Download news gets delayed/missing it means something is happening. Not to mention (but probably the least significant) that Europe's Club Nintendo is going under maintenance tomorrow (again, that's not as big news as eShop maintenance). What better way to hype Yoshi's New Island that's out this Friday than a Nintendo Direct?

But, to be honest, I'm keeping my expectations low right now to avoid disappointment.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Am moving this to the NintenZone forum. This has no relation to Smash 4 and even if it does it's a bit of a stretch in association.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Gamecube had better games yes (even if it's a weak Nintendo console imo), but that wouldn't affect the mind of a developer when the rival console outdoes it ten times. Can't personally say I've ever hated someone only for not sharing the same point of view. I don't agree with many of Miyamoto's ideals and choices for example, but I still like the guy. Heck, I even disagree with Sakurai on certain things, but he's still my favorite video game developer. The discussion whether video games are a form of art is one that can go on forever, I personally think that very few video games can fulfill the criteria though. However, this is getting awfully off-topic.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
The Gamecube had better games yes (even if it's a weak Nintendo console imo), but that wouldn't affect the mind of a developer when the rival console outdoes it ten times. Can't personally say I've ever hated someone only for not sharing the same point of view. I don't agree with many of Miyamoto's ideals and choices for example, but I still like the guy. Heck, I even disagree with Sakurai on certain things, but he's still my favorite video game developer. The discussion whether video games are a form of art is one that can go on forever, I personally think that very few video games can fulfill the criteria though. However, this is getting awfully off-topic.
http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/featuredgames/

85 games, according to the exhibit.

But anyway, I noticed that the boxart for Yoshi's New Island has a Nintendo Network icon on it. So that might be the reason.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Wasn't the extended maintenance last time for the release of Tropical Freeze? Or is there another one I'm forgetting about?

Perhaps they're preparing a direct for the official end of the Year of Luigi?

inb4YearofYoshi
Yeah, it's gonna be Year of Yoshi. Lol

Club Nintendo finally updated the games for this month and one of them is "Yoshi"

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I'm not counting on a Nintendo Direct or anything like that. I think it is was it is; an extended maintenance.
No matter how much I wish you were wrong, I have to agree. But I am still badly in need of Yoshi to be announced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom