• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Creators Program Announced And Live!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
By paying them money, i mean you're sharing benefits with them now.
If you check above, you'll read that they'll be taking about 30% or 40% (or may vary like they said) of the revenues you would make usually
Then next time maybe you should not word your posts in a way that mean one thing, when you mean something entirely different.

"Paying them money" != "Sharing part of your revenue".

You're playing a ****ty game of rhetoric and semantics and you should stop trying to do so. Be clear and concise and write what you literally mean because you're doing no one any favors posting the way you did.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
No, they're fine with it and always were.
They just wanted to take a share of the revenues.
While giving people ACTUAL legal consent and approval to make money off of their games.

Yes it blows that people will earn less money from posting youtube videos, but now they're legally ALLOWED to do so.

So no more worrying about C&Ds. No more worrying about Copyright issues. No more worrying about **** like that.

Ya'll n**gas need to realize you cant eat your cake and have it to.

This situation is not all bad unless you're acting entitled to all the money you were getting before and don't give a **** about IP/Copyright.

Yes IP and copyright nonsense is bull****, but it's what we have to deal with so let's make the best of the situation and not act like entitled ass n**gas.

Last edited:

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Can somebody please explain to me if this is being implemented worldwide or only in Japan? Also, how exactly will this affect streamers?

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
By paying them money, i mean you're sharing benefits with them now.
If you check above, you'll read that they'll be taking about 30% or 40% (or may vary like they said) of the revenues you would make usually
um you know that normal youtube partnerships usually involve youtube taking 50%-60% of add revenu you know? I dont see the issue here if Nintendo's basically offering content makers an extra 10% add revenue if the play their games. believe me youtube gives content creators **** for hosting adds on their videos, with how Nintendo has this system set in place so far I acutely see a lot of benefits for signing up for this program.

ReidItAndWeep

Smash Rookie
What people don't understand is that by YouTube partnership guidelines LPers can't be straight up partners and receive revenue from YouTube. To get money from YouTube, LPers and other gameplay channels must be partnered with other studios that do the same thing that Nintendo is doing here. The fact that they are making this an option and becoming one of the studios you can partner with is definitely a good thing. Every other LPer has to go through a studio that is doing exactly what Nintendo is doing here to make money off their videos.

Edit: Don't know if we can post links, but here are a list of some other partnerships. Terms of deals and payouts very similar. Nintendo is not doing a disservice here. http://www.irobotgaming.com/2013/10/top-gaming-network-partnerships-to-join.html

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Nintendo was "f*** Youtube and its let Play."
Months Later
Now Nintendo is like "Love Youtube and its let Play."
Nintendo is weird and... At least they doing something to Pleasid is Fan.

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Nintendo was "f*** Youtube and its let Play."
Months Later
Now Nintendo is like "Love Youtube and its let Play."
Nintendo is weird and... At least they doing something to Pleasid is Fan.
Only because they're making money. Lol, Nintendo, you greedy ********.

Last edited:

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Well at least now content creators can post their stuff on youtube and not have it taken down in minutes.

Jmcpappy

Smash Cadet

Nintendo has announced on Twitter in two separate Tweets via it's Japanese account that the Nintendo Creators Program, a program previously mentioned to be in the works back in 2014, is now live! "The Nintendo Creators Program is a service through which Nintendo gives you part of the advertising proceeds it receives from YouTube for your Nintendo-related YouTube videos." said Nintendo.

The website states that it can regularly take up to three business days for videos or channels to be reviewed or finalized. While Smash is not currently on the list of games, this review process puts in peril the timely upload of tournament matches for content creators in an age where many are ripping from streams. In terms of payment, the revenue share is currently at 70% for channels and 60% for videos and "this rate may be changed arbitrarily." However, this 70/30 cut is not directly from the video itself only, this is after Google already takes its cut.

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. may receive certain advertising revenue from Google Inc., its affiliates or successors thereof in connection with your Videos. Nintendo Co., Ltd., as a representative payee of any such advertising revenue, agrees to pay you a percentage share of such advertising revenue that is actually received by Nintendo Co., Ltd. from Google Inc., its affiliates or successors thereof in connection with a Video that is registered on the Nintendo Creators Program. Your percentage share of any such advertising revenue will be listed on your account page of the Nintendo Creators Program website, and is subject to change from time to time."

Requirements for the program include a Google account, and a Paypal account as well as certain system requirements to use their website. All of the information can be found at their official website. However this program will only apply to a list of approved games which at the time of writing does not include any titles in the Super Smash Bros. series. You can see the list of approved games here. It is unsure at this time what this means for Smash related content.

SmashCapps always finds the big news on Twitter. Follow him on Twitter to keep up with the news!
GUYS. This is a GOOD THING. Before this, Youtubers could not make money off of nintendo content without a copyright claim and a strike on their channel.

I think it's EXTREMELY immature to be angry towards nintendo for this decision. After all, many youtubers have wanted to share revenue with nintendo anyway, to avoid copyright strikes. Nintendo DOES in fact lose money from this agreement. Before, Any revenue made by these videos went to nintendo. Now, Youtubers get a percentage of it, as a matter of fact they get the larger percentage.

Furthermore, I think it's pretty childish to say Nintendo doesn't deserve this money. Despite what youtubers may say, creating gaming content is extremely easy in the business world. For anyone arguing that editing and recording is not an easy job, think about how much work, time, and money is invested in the games that they're playing. Im sure that collectively, thousands upon thousands of hours have been put into games such as Smash Wii u/ 3DS, and It would be unfair to the creators of these games if they didn't make a share of the revenue.

It's not "free advertisement" when the content creators are living off of their games. That's like arguing that it is unfair for Google to take a share, because they didn't make the video. If anything, Youtubers should be THANKFUL that they get ANYTHING. After all, they did nothing to actually make the content that they're using to make a living off of.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
GUYS. This is a GOOD THING. Before this, Youtubers could not make money off of nintendo content without a copyright claim and a strike on their channel.

I think it's EXTREMELY immature to be angry towards nintendo for this decision. After all, many youtubers have wanted to share revenue with nintendo anyway, to avoid copyright strikes. Nintendo DOES in fact lose money from this agreement. Before, Any revenue made by these videos went to nintendo. Now, Youtubers get a percentage of it, as a matter of fact they get the larger percentage.

Furthermore, I think it's pretty childish to say Nintendo doesn't deserve this money. Despite what youtubers may say, creating gaming content is extremely easy in the business world. For anyone arguing that editing and recording is not an easy job, think about how much work, time, and money is invested in the games that they're playing. Im sure that collectively, thousands upon thousands of hours have been put into games such as Smash Wii u/ 3DS, and It would be unfair to the creators of these games if they didn't make a share of the revenue.

It's not "free advertisement" when the content creators are living off of their games. That's like arguing that it is unfair for Google to take a share, because they didn't make the video. If anything, Youtubers should be THANKFUL that they get ANYTHING. After all, they did nothing to actually make the content that they're using to make a living off of.
I see it this way: Youtubers that put out stupid letsplays shouldn't see a cent of this. It's extremely nice of Ninty to give them money at all.

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
I see it this way: Youtubers that put out stupid letsplays shouldn't see a cent of this. It's extremely nice of Ninty to give them money at all.
True, but I feel like there are youtubers and tournament sponsors that put up content full-time and would like to make a living of of games, nintendo or otherwise. It's also good and almost free publicity for Nintendo. (e.g: Imagine PewDiePie started making a bunch of Smash videos. Hate him or love him you gotta admit that's some good publicity)

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
True, but I feel like there are youtubers and tournament sponsors that put up content full-time and would like to make a living of of games, nintendo or otherwise. It's also good and almost free publicity for Nintendo. (e.g: Imagine PewDiePie started making a bunch of Smash videos. Hate him or love him you gotta admit that's some good publicity)
You're right, I think the tourney sponsors deserve it and PDP would be good publicity but letsplay youtubers cross a line for me.
I still cannot comprehend how any sane person could prefer watching someone play a videogame, especially if they are not good at it. That's a whole new level of lazy. PDP is a prime example. Just look at his DaS1 lets play, he is ****ing ****ty at this game.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nintendo is basically just trying to cash in on the LPers and such.
They already were, a lot of LPers were getting videos flagged and even my own were being flagged because music in the background.

It's a compromise instead of just shutting down all content which is a problem for people like Angry Joe would couldn't even do a review because his job is literally doing reviews on Youtube.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
So I double and triple checked some research on this, and it turns out that this programs existence is almost completely pointless. Youtube policy allows for any and all gameplay to be monetized, so long as there is live commentary that is relevant to what's on screen, and said commentary is either educational or informative. Combine that with Fair Use laws, which can arguably be applied to Let's Plays, and the fact that Nintendo is just about the only gaming company that tries to apply these restrictions to Youtuber's revenue, and I can't see this program actually succeeding. Let's Players will either ignore the program or stop playing Nintendo games altogether.

Luigi Smasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luigi7381
I honestly think this is a bunch of trash. For one thing, probably only one fourth of the Nintendo community actually has a YouTube account they actively use. And possibly only a fifth of those people have a personal credit card, and *most* of those people have a PayPal one. And the people that actually do sign up for this won't get much out of it. I don't like this new thing very much at all :glare:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I'll be honest, and this is coming from a huge Nintendo fan, but IMO, I LIKE the idea and it's a step in the right direction, but as of right now, it's executed HORRIBLY!

On one hand, I like the fact that you can now get revenue off of Nintendo content instead of getting none and it's split between the content creator and Nintendo. You also don't get effected when uploading Smash or Pokemon videos. But on the other hand, you don't get a whole lot of revenue and it could take days for your video to get approved and you're pretty much forced to review their games positively (I could be wrong, but I see this happening).

They did mention that some changes could happen in the future, so I hope for the better. Like I said, I LIKE the idea, but it's executed HORRIBLY!

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Also, i like to point out that if this whole program was just only the revenue, than this would be a positive thing, but because of the additional rules, restrictions, and risks, it makes the program poorly designed and stupid!

GameWatching

Smash Ace
While giving people ACTUAL legal consent and approval to make money off of their games.

Yes it blows that people will earn less money from posting youtube videos, but now they're legally ALLOWED to do so.

So no more worrying about C&Ds. No more worrying about Copyright issues. No more worrying about **** like that.

Ya'll n**gas need to realize you cant eat your cake and have it to.

This situation is not all bad unless you're acting entitled to all the money you were getting before and don't give a **** about IP/Copyright.

Yes IP and copyright nonsense is bull****, but it's what we have to deal with so let's make the best of the situation and not act like entitled *** n**gas.
Thinking about this again made more sense.
And the 30/70 share seems more than reasonable considering those Youtubers are essentially farming money with Nintendo's content.

Hopefully more publishers do the same so people won't target only Nintendo without knowing why (like i did)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Hopefully more publishers do the same so people won't target only Nintendo without knowing why (like i did)
They won't. Most publishers encourage Youtubers to make videos on their content. And based on the negative reception it's getting from the bigger Youtubers, I don't know if even Nintendo will keep it around for long.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
It's funny because people shouldn't be getting revenue from literally recording themselves playing video games, talk about it, then uploading it. LPing is and has been always stupid, but if someone's gotta get money from recording another person's product, the creator might as well get a share too. I'd support any big name company doing this because the entire YouTube partnership with video game players is already stupid as hell.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
It's funny because people shouldn't be getting revenue from literally recording themselves playing video games, talk about it, then uploading it. LPing is and has been always stupid, but if someone's gotta get money from recording another person's product, the creator might as well get a share too. I'd support any big name company doing this because the entire YouTube partnership with video game players is already stupid as hell.
YOU think LPing is stupid, while other people legitimately enjoy it, hence why they get so many views. People have different tastes, and you should respect that.
And guess what ? If LPers exceed a certain amount of viewers, they should get payed what they need to get payed because in the end, they're just playing thru a game, not a damn movie.

I think from now on people will do less Nintendo related videos because it's simply not as much profitable for them.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
YOU think LPing is stupid, while other people legitimately enjoy it, hence why they get so many views. People have different tastes, and you should respect that.
And guess what ? If LPers exceed a certain amount of viewers, they should get payed what they need to get payed because in the end, they're just playing thru a game, not a damn movie.

I think from now on people will do less Nintendo related videos because it's simply not as much profitable for them.
No they will do more, because for the first time ever they will get money at all for Ninty LPs.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
No they will do more, because for the first time ever they will get money at all for Ninty LPs.
You clearly don't know anything about how Let's Plays work.

Youtubers have been getting money for Nintendo Let's Plays for years, and will continue to get money, even if they ignore this program, the combination of Fair Use laws and Youtube policy protects them in doing so.

Although if Nintendo is dead set on requiring people to follow this program, then most Youtubers will probably turn to other companies for their content. Not worth the hassle.

GameWatching

Smash Ace
No, they used to get money for it like any other LP video.
Now, in addition to sharing their revenues, censorship is possible because the video has to get Nintendo's approval. And on top of that, wait for up to 72 hours for their approval.

Really makes you wonder why would anyone do a Ninty LP after that.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
No, they used to get money for it like any other LP video.
Now, in addition to sharing their revenues, censorship is possible because the video has to get Nintendo's approval. And on top of that, wait for up to 72 hours for their approval.

Really makes you wonder why would anyone do a Ninty LP after that.
I thought Ninty went to great lengths to pull down Youtube videos with their content?

GameWatching

Smash Ace
I'm pretty convinced this isn't about acting friendly.
Yes, it's about acting as foolish as possible.
Both PS4 and XB1 have Live Broadcasting and Twitch Streaming.
Microsoft and Sony are actively promoting you playing, sharing and uploading your gameplay experiences to an audience. And do you know why ? Because that's the most efficient form of advertising.
If people see their favourite youtuber/twitch streamer play and have a blast on a game, they will surely consider getting it.
How did FNAF become so popular while, imo, it's mediocrity at it's finest ?

This creator's program is both bad for Nintendo and people who do Nintendo LPs.
LPers will obviously earn less from it, thus leading them to question what games they should do LPs of again.
And Nintendo will have a lot less of the advertisement i've been talking about.

Even EA is not stupid enough to come up with such steps backwards policies.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Yes, it's about acting as foolish as possible.
Both PS4 and XB1 have Live Broadcasting and Twitch Streaming.
Microsoft and Sony are actively promoting you playing, sharing and uploading your gameplay experiences to an audience. And do you know why ? Because that's the most efficient form of advertising.
If people see their favourite youtuber/twitch streamer play and have a blast on a game, they will surely consider getting it.
How did FNAF become so popular while, imo, it's mediocrity at it's finest ?

This creator's program is both bad for Nintendo and people who do Nintendo LPs.
LPers will obviously earn less from it, thus leading them to question what games they should do LPs of again.
And Nintendo will have a lot less of the advertisement i've been talking about.

Even EA is not stupid enough to come up with such steps backwards policies.
Well doesn't surprise me, Nintendo seems to not have a marketing team since the Wii U launch.

Top Bottom