• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo breaking into animation industry?

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
If you guys have yet to hear the news, Miyamoto and the rest of Nintendo are finally breaking their way into 3D animation! Nintendo's going to be on the scene at the Tokyo International Film Festival, showcasing 3 animated shorts based off the Pikmin series. I've been anticipating Nintendo to get into 3D animation for a long time, and this could finally be it. So where do you guys stand? Should Nintendo open up a 3D animation department and start producing films? Maybe buy Studio Ghibli to buff up their animation resources? What are some of your ideas?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Wait what?

I want a Golden Sun anime :p!! Not in 3D though, prefer the normal 2D.

Although this is news to me, can't wait to see what Nintendo comes up with.

As long as it does not compromise Nintendo's existing franchises, I won't mind Nintendo making a foray into the animation industry.

Edit: I just noticed this thread was a month old....

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
It was on mynintendonews a while back, they're generally very credible.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Here's the source you cited, which was originally reported from this.

If anything, expect to hear news about this Pikmin project surface around the 22nd or 23rd. When they refer to it being a "research project", it makes me think that this will either be a test run to see if they should produce more 3D animation projects or something else entirely.

To be fair, Nintendo's had external companies handle animation for their games for a long time. You always have little shorts accompanying a recent game (e.g., Kid Icarus Anime). Until we see something Sony-caliber and have a full-length feature film coming out from them, don't expect anything too ambitious.

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
Here's the source you cited, which was originally reported from this.

If anything, expect to hear news about this Pikmin project surface around the 22nd or 23rd. When they refer to it being a "research project", it makes me think that this will either be a test run to see if they should produce more 3D animation projects or something else entirely.

To be fair, Nintendo's had external companies handle animation for their games for a long time. You always have little shorts accompanying a recent game (e.g., Kid Icarus Anime). Until we see something Sony-caliber and have a full-length feature film coming out from them, don't expect anything too ambitious.
Thanks for the source! :D
Also yeah, in the past the second party handling of their cartoons (Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Super Mario Bros. Super Show, etc.) have not gone down as well as most cartoons, despite absolutely having the potential to.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
The Bowser Jr. trailer had beautiful animation, can't wait to see what Miyamoto's gonna do with Pikmin.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Apparently Miyamoto had produced 20-30 short films but he only showed 3. Still those 3 are getting pretty good news so far.

Plus they will be released on the 3DS a while to watch.... Why are they releasing these HD videos on 3DS instead of on Wii U? They should atleast show 'em on both!

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
According to mynintendonews Shigeru Miyamoto has also revealed that if the Pikmin films are successful, they're very open to producing short films using other Nintendo characters. Would love to see a Smash one but want to see a Kirby one even more tbh

Top Bottom