• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Source Gaming just released another “Why Characters Got Selected” video:
I didn't know they made another video like that before. Nice.

Also, it looks like they're going to be talking about cut characters in the next video. I'm curious.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since I don't think I saw anybody talking about it, I figured I'd share this:

From the guy who made "Smash but with indie characters" and "Smash but with Sega characters" comes... "Smash but with Xbox characters".
I wonder how close it is to my roster I shared here a while back. Mine was split 50/50 between Nintendo and Microsoft but each had 42 characters to keep it the same size as Ultimate. Curious to see how close I was on the Microsoft end.

Here it is again for reference:

1674848543954.jpeg

Here’s a text breakdown for anyone curious that can’t tell from just the images alone:

• Zelda's moveset is completely changed and now summons the Champions for her specials
  • Ganondorf's moveset is revamped and is an amalgamation of all of his incarnations
  • Impa uses her naginata moveset from Hyrule Warriors
  • Pokemon Trainer uses Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur
  • Hisuian Zoroark has a normal Zoroark alt
  • Diddy and Dixie can tag in and out, like a transform mechanic
  • Marth has alt outfits, like Hero of Lucina, Roy, and Chrom
  • The same goes for Fox for Falco, Slippy, and Peppy as well as Star Wolf (assuming the models rig properly)
  • This is also true for the Battletoads in the Microsoft section for Pimple and Zitz
  • Samus' moveset is now based on Metroid Dread and has quite a few changes from Ultimate
  • Dark Samus has a lot of changes as well and is now more faithful to its source material
  • Nia rides on Dromarch's back and the two fight together
  • Officer Howard has a female alt as well as a secret end game armor for both male and female

Nintendo:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Bowser
4) Peach
5) Yoshi
6) Wario
7) Link
8) Zelda (with Champions)
9) Ganondorf
10) Impa
11) Pikachu
12) Pokémon Trainer (Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur)
13) Lucario
14) Zoroark/Hisuian Zoroark
15) Donkey Kong
16) Diddy and Dixie Kong
17) King K. Rool (Captain and Baron alts)
18) Fire Emblem Lords (Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom)
19) The Black Knight
20) Tharja
21) Edelgarde
22) Kirby
23) King Dedede
24)Meta Knight
25) Samus
26) Ridley
27) Dark Samus
28) Shulk
29) Elma
30) Nia and Dromarch
31) Star Fox/Wolf crew (for members that work)
32) Isabelle
33) Inkling
34) Pit
35) Medusa
36) Olimar
37) Captain Falcon
38) Akira Howard
39) Ness
40) Little Mac
41) Mach Rider
42) Isaac

Microsoft:

1) Master Chief
2) The Arbiter
3) Steve
4) Marcus Fenix
5) General RAAM
6) Ori
7) Cuphead (with Mugman alt)
8) Fable Avatar
9) Crackdown Agent
10) Blinx
11) The Battletoads (alts)
12) The Dark Queen
13) Fulgore
14) Black Orchid
15) Hisako
16) Banjo
17) Gruntilda
18) Conker
19) Joanna Dark
20) Kameo
21) Crash Bandicoot
22) Coco Bandicoot
23) Dr. Neo Cortex
24) Spyro
25) The Lich King
26) Thrall Hellscream
27) Illidan Stormrage
28) Sylvanas Windrunner
29) Sarah Kerrigan
30) Jim Raynor
31) Zeratul
32) Diablo
33) Tracer
34) D.Va
35) Reinhardt
36) Doom Slayer
37) Dovakhiin
38) B.J. Blaskowicz
39) Corvo Attano
40) Vault Boy
41) Raz
42) Clippy

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

From the guy who made "Smash but with indie characters" and "Smash but with Sega characters" comes... "Smash but with Xbox characters".
I still have war flashbacks from his SEGA roster but this one seems....pretty decent. But also I'm not an Xbox expert and the thing with his rosters is that they sound good to unfamiliar people but fall apart to fans so

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still have war flashbacks from his SEGA roster but this one seems....pretty decent. But also I'm not an Xbox expert and the thing with his rosters is that they sound good to unfamiliar people but fall apart to fans so
My roster likely has the same problems. I love certain Microsoft properties but I’m not too knowledgeable beyond my bias for RARE and Blizzard. I did try to do some research on other big Microsoft IP I might not be familiar with to fill the roster out. I’m pretty happy with the result although my bias probably shows a bit in the final selection.

For Nintendo’s side, I wanted to try building the roster from the ground up and not rely too much on what Smash has already done. I purposely made some changes to help the Nintendo side stand apart from normal Smash and not feel too much like Ultimate with cuts. It did end up being pretty similar in the end because many characters just had to be there (although they wouldn’t necessarily play the same as they do in Smash).

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord

Credit where credit is due, counting A-B, Microsoft has an amazing, incredibly stacked lineup of characters now. A far cry ten years ago when it was mostly Chief, Fenix and a bunch of dead Rare characters.

You can see as much insofar as three of who seem like the big four western requests (Chief, Crash, Slayer, Rayman) come (or may come) from under one company. If you include the previous big requests of Banjo and Steve, that's five out of six.

To that end, MS created basically none of them. Those six characters used to come from six different companies. Not that that doesn't count, but it is a testament to Nintendo to have actually cultivated their own lineup.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Credit where credit is due, counting A-B, Microsoft has an amazing, incredibly stacked lineup of characters now. A far cry ten years ago when it was mostly Chief, Fenix and a bunch of dead Rare characters.

You can see as much insofar as three of who seem like the big four western requests (Chief, Crash, Slayer, Rayman) come (or may come) from under one company. If you include the previous big requests of Banjo and Steve, that's five out of six.

To that end, MS created basically none of them. Those six characters used to come from six different companies. Not that that doesn't count, but it is a testament to Nintendo to have actually cultivated their own lineup.
I just watched the whole video and if you remove the Activision-Blizzard characters from my list, I’m kind of amazed at how close my own ended up to this video. If Microsoft does end up acquiring Activision/Blizzard, the roster could possibly be nearly on par with Nintendo’s first party in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Even beyond a Smash style game, Microsoft's in a hell of a position to do all sorts of crossovers if they wanted.
You could say the same about most major video game publishers tbh.

Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix could make decent knockback platform fighters if they wanted. Though I do hope some company will make health-based platform fighters not just a thing, but an alternative standard to knockback.

Also, I chuckle at the idea that swordfighters would take up most of the roster in a Square Enix crossover while fistfighters would be the secondary class, reversed from Smash.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
You know this reminds me, Nintendo used the DLC for Ultimate to strengthen relationships with companies. I think that is a really smart move, but I don't think they are done. I think this will continue, they will probably look for more companies to collaborate with Smash. So my question is, what companies do you guys think Nintendo would go for?...(I know majority here may say Koei Tecmo but they already have a great relationship so its no brainer)

Personally? Spike Chunsoft, Valve, Arc System, Nippon Ichi, and Type-Moon are my picks.
All of those have very valuable franchises and Nintendo has definitely had their times with these companies on their systems. Nintendo actually tried to get Valve to make a game or two for Switch, but a lot of that fell through due to just the way Valve works, but Portal is luckily on Switch, both a spin-off and the 2 main-line games. Spike Chunsoft recently has gotten Danganronpa games on Switch, and their new franchise Rain Code is a Switch exclusive. Arc System got a spirit event in Ultimate, but no fighter, but they are the developers of Guilty Gear, Double Dragon, and Blazblue. Nippon Ichi are the developers of the popular franchise Disgaea, which has received many titles and spin-offs, a very well received franchise in Japan. Finally, Type-Moon are the developers for many visual novel games, but most notably the Fate and Melty Blood series. All of these Nintendo may see value in, or are proven to see value in. Honorary Mention to Marvelous Games, who has recieved a decent amount of content in Ultimate. But I think their relationship with Nintendo is already quite good, and also Falcom, who made the Ys series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
You know this reminds me, Nintendo used the DLC for Ultimate to strengthen relationships with companies. I think that is a really smart move, but I don't think they are done. I think this will continue, they will probably look for more companies to collaborate with Smash. So my question is, what companies do you guys think Nintendo would go for?...(I know majority here may say Koei Tecmo but they already have a great relationship so its no brainer)

Personally? Spike Chunsoft, Valve, Arc System, Nippon Ichi, and Type-Moon are my picks.
All of those have very valuable franchises and Nintendo has definitely had their times with these companies on their systems. Nintendo actually tried to get Valve to make a game or two for Switch, but a lot of that fell through due to just the way Valve works, but Portal is luckily on Switch, both a spin-off and the 2 main-line games. Spike Chunsoft recently has gotten Danganronpa games on Switch, and their new franchise Rain Code is a Switch exclusive. Arc System got a spirit event in Ultimate, but no fighter, but they are the developers of Guilty Gear, Double Dragon, and Blazblue. Nippon Ichi are the developers of the popular franchise Disgaea, which has received many titles and spin-offs, a very well received franchise in Japan. Finally, Type-Moon are the developers for many visual novel games, but most notably the Fate and Melty Blood series. All of these Nintendo may see value in, or are proven to see value in. Honorary Mention to Marvelous Games, who has recieved a decent amount of content in Ultimate. But I think their relationship with Nintendo is already quite good, and also Falcom, who made the Ys series.
Aside from Koei Tecmo, I can also picture Arc System Works getting upgraded to playable representation in the next game. River City itself could be that representation. Technos Japan were big supporters for Nintendo back in the day and now years later, it seems like the River City series still mostly found a home on Nintendo consoles under ASW.

And yeah, Nihon Falcom is also a possibility. With both Ys and The Legend of Heroes being pioneers in the action RPG genre and Sakurai seemingly a fan of their games, I wouldn't be surprise if the next Smash game features something from that company too.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix could make decent knockback platform fighters if they wanted. Though I do hope some company will make health-based platform fighters not just a thing, but an alternative standard to knockback.
Capcom's crossover fighter format is already well established, and has nothing to do with platforms.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Arc definitely makes the most sense for a new playable company.
Maybe they can try animating their hypothetical character with less frames to mimic that "Fake sprite" look of Arc's fighters. That'd be a neat gimmick.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I'm a bit confused as to these parameters. If we are to look towards companies that Nintendo has a more tenuous relationship with, that doesn't really reflect who was chosen for Ultimate's DLC. The only one that was sort of so-so was SNK, Nintendo has pretty strong relationships with Sega, Namco, Capcom, Square, Microsoft (including both Rare and Mojang), Atlus and even Disney and Konami have collaborated with them fairly recently.

If we are to look towards companies Nintendo has a strong relationship with who don't yet have characters, like KT and Ubisoft... does Nintendo use the DLC to strengthen those bonds? They're already quite strong. The existing companies feels like the continuation of ongoing business.

I'm just not sure how we're looking at things here where KT and Valve can seemingly both apply.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Just to throw it out there I sometimes feel like Min-Min has like half a moveset. It's so odd. I get that the design philosophy around her does her justice for Smash but it's just weird to me nonetheless.

She has that "walkable jab" thing that irks me so but thank goodness she at least has a real jab but the odd thing is that her Forward-Smash and Forward-Tilts are the same thing in addition to her Back-Air and Forward-Air. This is kind of offset by her having 3 unique variants of her right-hand attacks in addition to having the ability to do Aerial-Smash-Attacks with these moves but this also means she doesn't have a Neutral-Special or a Side-Special and her Down-Special is dedicated to switching between these variants so it's not really an attack either. Then her Up-Special is basically entirely for recovery with it being one of those tether recoveries so it's not really applicable in battle and also using it on the ground sacrifices 1 of your 2 jumps for some reason which also kind of sucks.

If all of this wasn't enough her Up-Air, Up-Tilt and Up-Smash are basically the same attack too!

Not that they did a bad job with her I just find her to be such a strange character in this game even if she's really good all the same. I guess that's a good thing since ARMS is kind of strange but I really think at least giving her Shield-Special would have went a long way towards making her feel more fleshed out as a character moveset wise.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit confused as to these parameters. If we are to look towards companies that Nintendo has a more tenuous relationship with, that doesn't really reflect who was chosen for Ultimate's DLC. The only one that was sort of so-so was SNK, Nintendo has pretty strong relationships with Sega, Namco, Capcom, Square, Microsoft (including both Rare and Mojang), Atlus and even Disney and Konami have collaborated with them fairly recently.

If we are to look towards companies Nintendo has a strong relationship with who don't yet have characters, like KT and Ubisoft... does Nintendo use the DLC to strengthen those bonds? They're already quite strong. The existing companies feels like the continuation of ongoing business.

I'm just not sure how we're looking at things here where KT and Valve can seemingly both apply.
"does Nintendo use the DLC to strengthen those bonds?"
Yes, actually! I believe it was said by an official source, or by insiders. All those companies you mentioned still probably really appreciated the Smash representation. Both Nintendo and a 3rd party win in a scenario where they are represented in Smash. These crossovers actually mean much more than they seem, Smash is incredible for exposure and advertisement to different audiences. And these crossovers and additions can lead to future collaborations outside of Smash, it can get the ball rolling on more things. "Atlus and even Disney and Konami have collaborated with them fairly recently" Yes, but keep in mind how you say recently. It's their relationship growing further for future possibilities and partnerships. All the companies I have mentioned are still companies that are using their franchises on Nintendo systems and have sizable audiences, but its the possibility of that relationship going forward that makes it interesting.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Capcom's crossover fighter format is already well established, and has nothing to do with platforms.
Nothing's stopping them from dipping their toes in the emerging genre.

Heck, if they want to have a fabled Capcom-only crossover but avoid opening old wounds of Capcom Fighting Evolution, a platform fighter could work.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Would this Capcom-only crossover feature some guest characters that had an historical connections with the company?
Unless they are only from video games, so no Spider-Man and no DIO.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nothing's stopping them from dipping their toes in the emerging genre.
Other than the fact that's it's not what their fanbase wants.

Heck, if they want to have a fabled Capcom-only crossover but avoid opening old wounds of Capcom Fighting Evolution, a platform fighter could work.
All they have to do to avoid a CFE is take MvC2, cut out the M, and double the amount of C.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
If this potential Capcom All-Stars game going to have at least a single guest star, it needs to be a World Heroes rep, since SNK needs to stop overusing their in-house franchises and use some from their back-catalog of acquired companies (in this case, Alpha Denshi).

Or Paon DP, since they have the rights of Fighter's History, and because the infamous lawsuit between Capcom and Data East (the original owners), it would be funny if someone from that series appeared as a guest.

Don't blame me, these are just my absent-mind thoughts.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I think Falcolm is very likely. By the time Ultimate dlc characters were chosen, Falcolm was still heavily focused on Japan and a little presence on Switch, only releasing Ys 8 and Trails of cold steel 3 and 4. But now we had Ys 9, but more importantly the release of Trails to zero last year with Trails to azure, Trails into reverie and Nayuta boundless trails all planned to release this year. Falcolm have also said that they would really like to put the more recent game Kuro no kiseki on Switch, and even do remaster of Trails in the sky trilogy and release them on Switch. Falcolm has become very aggressive on releasing game on more consoles and localize faster their game, and I think having a Smash character would be very beneficial for them.

On the other hand, I think Nintendo having a good relationship with Falcolm is also good for Nintendo. The switch is already known for being a very good JRPG console. Trails is getting more and more popular and I think that in the near future, people will see Trails as one of the big "must play" jrpg alongside stuff like Tales of, Dragon quest and Fire emblem for example. Trails is already very popular for it's worldbuilding, character arc, and NPC with huge backstory, and with more and more game getting localize, I think it's reputation is just going to grow.

SPEN18

Smash Lord

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly it would be nice to have a long Direct with variety again. The September one felt dominated by RPG titles and farm simulators, and the Developer Showcase while solid, was still fairly short. Its been almost a year since a Nintendo announcement really got me excited, and a presentation with a diverse range of first and third party reveals is long overdue.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Considering we haven't gotten a Capcom crossover fighting game in around 5 and a 1/2 years, I'm pretty sure getting stale is far from the issue.
Hey, it's not like staleness and long release gaps are mutually exclusive.

There was ten years between Star Fox Command and Zero. And not quite as stale (still very much is stale though), but there's also the five year gap between Twilight Princess and Skyward sword.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You could say the same about most some major video game publishers tbh.

Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix could make decent knockback platform fighters if they wanted.
Dear sir,

I present to you your corrections, apparently. This service has been provided for free by your friendly neighborhood _______.

A. Wtf?
B. Peck!
C. Other

Though I do hope some company will make health-based platform fighters not just a thing, but an alternative standard to knockback.
Like HP battle in smash? I enjoy the mode from time to time and would be interested in a platformer that went with that as the design choice. like street fighter with plats basically.

Also, I chuckle at the idea that swordfighters would take up most of the roster in a Square Enix crossover while fistfighters would be the secondary class, reversed from Smash.
Would they, tho? I was thinking magic has to play some measure of importance... actually only second to swords, I mean take any rpg and your first party (and beyond, really) is at least warrior, caster, other, so in a SE battle royal indeed tons of swords but also tons of magic and a hefty dose of combs. Smash started with 12 but it's 2023 so let's be generous and say 30. I'd be looking at maybe 15 blades, 8 casters and 7 other. Then leave 5 dlc slots for wacky SE properties like Parasite Eve or something.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry it took so long to respond: I was at work and thought it'd be better to wait until I was at my laptop for this. Anyway, like I said, if you know anything about Dragon Ball Heroes you MIGHT have a rough idea for what I'm going for with this story:

• The game would feature a mixture of original characters and characters from preestablished Nintendo IPs.
  • You'd have a custom character who serves as a member of some sort of "interdimensional protection group" thing (if you DON'T know about DBH, think the TVA from Loki).
  • At the start of the game, your main base of operations is attacked by the main villain force, an original character that has recruited various Nintendo villains like Bowser and Ganondorf with the goal of destroying all the various timelines in favor of creating a singular timeline where they essentially rule as its gods.
  • While only SOME of the Nintendo villains are outright loyal to the OG villain, they all fear them due to just how powerful they truly are (for context, this includes characters like the Xenoblade villains).
  • In response to the attack, the main group decides to go to the worlds of various Nintendo IPs in order to recruit the various Nintendo HEROES in order to stop the villains.
  • While the gameplay itself would still be the Smash we all know and love, it would have a bit more RPG elements, such as leveling up and bringing back the Custom Moves in the form of moves you can switch out as you level up.

I'll admit, this isn't FULLY fleshed out, and some parts are a bit fanfic-y (i.e. I had an idea where Bowser and Ganon have a sort of "good cop bad cop" dynamic), but it's a rough start. Though FWIW, the comments I got DID give me an idea for a potential subplot where Goku from Yuyuki tricks the villains into letting him join them where he can leak their info to the heroes, as a reference to Sun Wukong being a bit of a trickster in the original Journey to the West story...
Apologies for the late reply, but this is looking really good! Call me easily entertained, but the fact that managed to give an important role to Goku of all characters is pretty fire, ngl.

I take it that even the really obscure characters and Japan-only characters would also play a big part here?

Absolutely. There are a lot of "boring" characters that have perfect resumes that, by all accounts should be included.

Toad is one of them. Perhaps the biggest one.

Isabelle is one of those "boring" choices that we actually got included. There weren't any sound arguments against her inclusion. People just collectively decided she'd be "boring."
Funny thing is, Isabelle is one of those characters I utterly lost my mind at (I DID support her for Smash 4, after all).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Apologies for the late reply, but this is looking really good! Call me easily entertained, but the fact that managed to give an important role to Goku of all characters is pretty fire, ngl.

I take it that even the really obscure characters and Japan-only characters would also play a big part here?
Well, if I could find a role for them, of course. Admittedly some characters might be a bit harder to work with (i.e. the cast of Warlocked: we don't even know WHY the characters are even fighting in that game, how could I tie it into the main plot without it coming off as forced?), but if I can find something good, I'll try to slip it in.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I just had this thought, and a question:

What would you all think would be some weird/the weirdest choices for characters in the next Smash Bros. game?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

What would you all think would be some weird/the weirdest choices for characters in the next Smash Bros. game?
A super scope character would be strange and rather unexpected. Tetris block! That'd be both weird and a personal favorite of mine. Q-bert is weird and so their inclusion would be a nice demonstration of weird, I think.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A super scope character would be strange and rather unexpected. Tetris block! That'd be both weird and a personal favorite of mine. Q-bert is weird and so their inclusion would be a nice demonstration of weird, I think.
I would actually like a Super Scope character. Mike Anderson from Battle Clash could work.

And I always wondered how a Tetris Block would work in Smash, honestly.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

A Nintendo LABO character. The funny thing is I don’t think this is out of the question to happen. God, I wouldn’t want it. I’d hate it. But I can very easily see them tossing something together to make LABO work.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Any kind of pure sports character besides a Mii, just to see the kind of ridiculous moveset they can make off of it. :lol:

Top Bottom