• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

Good afternoon!

I'm curious about the speculation thread's upcoming thoughts on the hypothetical June 29 direct.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
nintendo's not usually in charge of picking the roster though
It's been heavily implied that they have some say, like when Sakurai described "a voice from heaven" saying "Sakurai-san, please add Minecraft/Tekken to Smash". (at least, I think that was implying that it was some higher-up at Nintendo, since Nintendo has the Japanese character for "heaven" in its name - maybe I'm reading too much into a jokey little comment, though)

Even if we're talking about the base game, it seems unlikely that they'd be completely hands-off.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's been heavily implied that they have some say, like when Sakurai described "a voice from heaven" saying "Sakurai-san, please add Minecraft/Tekken to Smash". (at least, I think that was implying that it was some higher-up at Nintendo, since Nintendo has the Japanese character for "heaven" in its name - maybe I'm reading too much into a jokey little comment, though)

Even if we're talking about the base game, it seems unlikely that they'd be completely hands-off.
yes but let’s not forget he’s also talked many times about his decision to include. Even if Nintendo aren’t completely hands off it does sound like it’s ultimately down to sakurai

Gengar84

Smash Hero
yes but let’s not forget he’s also talked many times about his decision to include. Even if Nintendo aren’t completely hands off it does sound like it’s ultimately down to sakurai
The impression that I have is that Nintendo presents suggestions to Sakurai for most characters that they would like to see in Smash and Sakurai determines whether he can make them work or not. My thought is that they probably give him a list of names they’d like to see and he picks from those the characters he thinks would work the best. I think there are other characters outside that list that are included because Sakurai and his team were passionate about them and thought they would be fun to include and they got the okay from Nintendo to add them.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The impression that I have is that Nintendo presents suggestions to Sakurai for most characters that they would like to see in Smash and Sakurai determines whether he can make them work or not. My thought is that they probably give him a list of names they’d like to see and he picks from those the characters he thinks would work the best. I think there are other characters outside that list that are included because Sakurai and his team were passionate about them and thought they would be fun to include and they got the okay from Nintendo to add them.
well based on what he said in regards to min min and myra it sounds like they suggest games rather than characters. But remember he also said this was only the case for ultimate dlc

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well based on what he said in regards to min min and myra it sounds like they suggest games rather than characters. But remember he also said this was only the case for ultimate dlc
Yeah, that makes sense if you think about it from a business standpoint. As long as the game is getting advertised, it shouldn’t matter much to Nintendo which specific character they go with so Sakurai would be free to pick whoever he felt would work best or whoever was most popular with the fanbase.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
blimey going by that direct the XC3 characters are gonna have absurd moveset potential

i think rex might be coming back but ive been burned before

Gengar84

Smash Hero
blimey going by that direct the XC3 characters are gonna have absurd moveset potential

i think rex might be coming back but ive been burned before
Did the direct spoil much about the game? I’m definitely getting it next month so I was on the fence about watching the direct if I’m already sold on the game. If there isn’t anything too spoilery, it would be a fun watch.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So if the president of Nintendo came to Mr. Sakurai and said I need you to put ______ in the next Smash game make it happen I don't care how,..... What's the ONE character you'd fill that blank with?.
Albert Wesker.

RE Nintendo Direct June 2022

So I haven't watched it yet but I've only played bits of the first Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii and didn't get very far before dropping it altogether. I don't use Shulk but I do use and love Pyra and Mythra. Basically I've no vested interest in this direct besides perhaps building anticipation of a new character from the series especially if it's from 3 seeing as 1 and 2 got characters. Not having played Aegis' game I don't know what type of pick that was as in left field pick or obvious choice etc. So it's hard to speculate which direction they'll go if they indeed intend to make a playable character from 3 (don't see why they wouldn't, or at least it's more likely than a 3rd rep from the first two games).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did the direct spoil much about the game? I’m definitely getting it next month so I was on the fence about watching the direct if I’m already sold on the game. If there isn’t anything too spoilery, it would be a fun watch.
I don’t think so. I think a best we might come up with theories that are correct

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Xenoblade series is awesome, but I'm not looking forward to it becoming another franchise that gets "obligatory fresh face from newest game" in Smash. Maybe it can get one more, but beyond that will be a real problem.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The Xenoblade series is awesome, but I'm not looking forward to it becoming another franchise that gets "obligatory fresh face from newest game" in Smash. Maybe it can get one more, but beyond that will be a real problem.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. The first game was one of my favorite games of all time and I still loved the other games despite their flaws but I’m pretty content with Xenoblade representation in Smash if we could get Elma and Noah. I don’t think I’d really ever need anything else beyond that. If we’re including third parties, neither are at the top of my most wanted list but they are both pretty high among Nintendo characters.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Still though, while prioritizing super huge third party characters works for DLC, the base game needs a balance of big names and obscure nobodies.
I'm not really sure if "obscure nobodies" is even a factor when out of ultimate's 6 unique base characters, 1 is inkling, 2 got in because of the poll (K.Rool and ridley), 1 is from a popular and storied franchise and the other 2 are from AC and Pokemon. Smash4 and brawl isn't any different - lots of recognizable first parties were included from the get-go.
If anything nothing really hints at Nintendo prioritizing obscurity for the sake of doing so outside of random surprise picks like your G&W/ROB/PP, and those are very much in the minority.

I think this is probably one of the reasons why indie rep is unlikely to happen soon it’s just Nintendo preferring large companies and see them as worthly of playable spot.
Who knows? I'm not as bearish on this but certain indie games certainly managed to be really popular in their own right. It's definitely much harder but i don't necessarily see it as a non-starter unlike certain games that are non-factors in japan.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Having now watched the first half and having never really playing this series I'd say it depends on what you already know. Me, well I didn't know anything so my take is actually if I want a giant game with a billion things to do this is a winner.

I don't.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Having now watched the first half and having never really playing this series I'd say it depends on what you already know. Me, well I didn't know anything so my take is actually if I want a giant game with a billion things to do this is a winner.

I don't.
Yeah, that’s the problem. I barely have time to play the games I already have, never mind Three Hopes and Xenoblade coming out so soon. It’s going to be nearly impossible to fit them all in but I’ll eventually beat it even if it ends up taking me over a year lol. I still really wanted to get Shin Megami Tensei and Kirby but I haven’t been able to fit them in. I’m still at the beginning of Triangle Strategy. Other than Shredder’s Revenge, Smash modding has taken nearly 100% of my spare gaming time since I started a couple months ago so I’ve fallen even farther behind in my backlog.

I really wish I had more time in the day because huge JRPGs are my favorite genre but I just don’t really have the same amount of free time I used to, especially if I wanted to try to learn how to make my own mods for Ultimate, which is a huge undertaking.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I’m not really thinking that we’re getting a normal direct at this point.
I at least expect / hope them to show more of Zelda and Splatoon to keep the hype alive. Would be unwise not to do this.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Maybe they'll do a general direct when this current salvo of announcements from literally everyone else ends. That way, Nintendo can monopolize the attention.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t need any more game announcements for quite a while, I think I’ll have more than enough to keep myself busy for years lol.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
I think Noah and Mio might work as a duo fighter. I have a great concept. They're a mix of Ice Climbers and Zelda/Sheik. Each have their own moves including specials, same stats, and you can swap one to other to control while the other is a CPU. If one of them is KOed, they have to fight on their own and not like the ice climbers where the leader dies, they lose a stock. They have 2 different final smashes. If alone, its Chain Attack with other party members. If together, they fuse into their Ouroboros form to attack.
After I saw the Xenoblade 3 direct. I decided to revise this. Instead of 2 in one fighter, Noah will be a regular fighter, and Mio will be his echo fighter. Their gimmick is they can swap their weapon classes; swordfighter and zephyr at any time. Both are started with their default classes. Noah starts with swordfigher, and Mio starts with zephyr. Noah is more balenced, while Mio is faster. Both have 2 different final smashes, One of them are regular final smashes, the other is special. Noah and Mio's final smash will be Chain Attack. If both are in the same team, then they they will be become Ouroboros.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe they'll do a general direct when this current salvo of announcements from literally everyone else ends. That way, Nintendo can monopolize the attention.
Seems a wise decision. Wouldn't even know the others are making announcements, I generally only check Nintendo and sites like these have to remind me.

Zelda and Splatoon seem the most likely to get the main attention in a general Direct, Pokemon too of course (they tend to have their own Directs too no?). There's also Bayonetta and the ever neglected almost cursed 4th Pikmin and Metroid Prime , but what I'd really really love to see is of course a new mainline Donkey Kong. I kinda expect the GBA app for Switch to be showcased too if it wasn't already. Another weird prediction I have are a new Mario Maker and maybe even a new Zelda remake. Maybe a Zelda Maker even ? Based on the NES original, SNES Link to the Past and the semi recent Links Awakening for Switch ?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah, that’s the problem. I barely have time to play the games I already have, never mind Three Hopes and Xenoblade coming out so soon. It’s going to be nearly impossible to fit them all in but I’ll eventually beat it even if it ends up taking me over a year lol. I still really wanted to get Shin Megami Tensei and Kirby but I haven’t been able to fit them in. I’m still at the beginning of Triangle Strategy. Other than Shredder’s Revenge, Smash modding has taken nearly 100% of my spare gaming time since I started a couple months ago so I’ve fallen even farther behind in my backlog.

I really wish I had more time in the day because huge JRPGs are my favorite genre but I just don’t really have the same amount of free time I used to, especially if I wanted to try to learn how to make my own mods for Ultimate, which is a huge undertaking.
I'm in the same boat but we also want a PS5 which makes it even harder to play anything when all I do is play Smash lol. I buy a game play it for a day then never go back, it's annoying.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm in the same boat but we also want a PS5 which makes it even harder to play anything when all I do is play Smash lol. I buy a game play it for a day then never go back, it's annoying.
I can relate to that lol. There have been games that I bought and played for about an hour and never played again like Pokken Tournament, Yooka Laylee, Divinity, and Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Not that I didn’t like them, I just didn’t have time. Even worse, there are other games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and White Knight Chronicles that I bought and never even opened the package lol.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I can relate to that lol. There have been games that I bought and played for about an hour and never played again like Pokken Tournament, Yooka Laylee, Divinity, and Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Not that I didn’t like them, I just didn’t have time. Even worse, there are other games like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and White Knight Chronicles that I bought and never even opened the package lol.
I got all the Assassin's Creed games from the original through the last playable ps3 game I think it's like 6 discs but I just played the first one for TWO days then dropped it.

Since I started playing Smash Ultimate the only game to steel me away from it is surprisingly really fun, Onimusha Warlords. I played it non stop for several days. Another is Octopath Traveler.

speaking of which I'd love a Onimusha or SC rep with big swinging killer sword oh wait Sephiroth wait Shulk wait Ike ahhh

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I will happily vouch for pokken and yooka laylee. And tms to a certain extent

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So... is the new Advsnce Wars gonna be released?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The new TMNT beat em up. I'll buy that bc we'll beat it in one go. If it's fun or has unlockables we'll even play it again lol can't go wrong with TMNT.

Donatello for smash
Now I can happily vouch for Shredder’s Revenge. I played that for five hours straight over the weekend with my brother and my friend. We have all been huge TMNT fans our whole lives and have been waiting forever for a game like this. I never thought it would be possible but I think it may have even dethroned Turtles in Time as my favorite TMNT game. Thinking about it, I’d say that TMNT is actually my favorite overall property ever, even more than Pokémon and pro wrestling.

I’m actually really excited to play this game with our other friend who has never played a TMNT game before. He never really got into the franchise like the rest of us but we showed him the first movie a few years ago and he enjoyed it. This would be a great way to show him how cool the TMNT are and why the rest of us love it so much.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I want Tribute Games to talk with EA if they want to make a Simpsons Beat-'em-up (if only it didn't include microtransactions)
My dream game is for them to work on a TMNT and Battletoads crossover game. The Ninja Turtles have been my favorite characters since I was a kid and the Battletoads have been my brother’s. I don’t expect that to ever happen but it would be awesome. Even just a pure Battletoads reboot by Tribute games would be awesome.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So... is the new Advsnce Wars gonna be released?
I hope it does eventually. I certainly understand that releasing it during currant world circumstances may not be the right time, but seeing as it seems completed, it'd really hurt if it was completed only to be never released.

We'll have to see what happens when the next general Nintendo Direct comes around.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Gengar84 Gengar84 , Sucumbio Sucumbio :

I think the problem with modern games being too long is a two part deal:

Modern short games feel overly scripted and restrictive, meaning replay value is entirely on whether you enjoy playing the same thing over and over.

Modern replayable games are overly long in a bad way. Not by naturally filling the game with a variety of challenges and situations, but by copypasting one situation over and over.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Hmmm

So if the president of Nintendo came to Mr. Sakurai and said I need you to put ______ in the next Smash game make it happen I don't care how,..... What's the ONE character you'd fill that blank with?.

Me? Not sure yet gotta ponder this a bit actually.

"
Ruby Heart from Marvel vs Capcom 2.
D12298D7-D8ED-4F40-8DA0-DAB674995588.jpeg

Ruby Heart is a character who I think could be one of the most positive to ever possibly enter Smash. Here’s why. So you have the history side of things, with Marvel vs Capcom 2 being considered one of the best fighting games of all time. Not only that, but because she’s literally the main character of a crossover, she could probably just use the Street Fighter Series as Storage for all the Music of the Capcom Fighting Games as a whole, not just Marvel vs Capcom. You’d have the FGC praising her for basically immortalizing Marvel vs Capcom in the “Video Game Hall of Fame”. Her never making an appearance since Marvel vs Capcom 2 would get the older fans who may have grown up with at least a couple of Capcom Fighting Games excited. Or the return of a long lost friend. Her anime art style would please those who like fighters with that art style. You please the competitive scene as I feel like she would be decently well balanced yet viable in Competition, like Byleth or Terry. Alongside diversifying the FGC Archetype by adding someone other than a buff guy to the Archetype’s Roster. Obviously you have some fans unhappy, but I feel like Ruby Heart, or heck even Amingo, could be a super positive reveal for both the FGC and Smash Communities. And that’s why I think Ruby Heart, or even Amingo I’m fine with either, would be such a perfect addition to the next Smash Game.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
I am leaning towards thinking there will be a general Direct next week; this month seemed to make a lot of sense for one and now, well, there's only one more week for it to happen. I doubt the Xeno stuff really changes anything because they may have just had a lot they wanted to say about it and therefore pushed it into its own event. Plus they're probably motivated to get a summer Direct out before, well, the summer is too close to being over. I am not, however, going to take it for granted, nor am I going to complain if it doesn't happen. If a Direct does not happen next week, then we could still see a presentation in July or August, I'd guess.

Advance Wars I think will be out soon enough. At the very least I do not expect the game to be cancelled entirely or anything. WayForward, as a relatively smaller company, I would guess is particularly motivated to get it out when it feels it can.
(This is not my opinion on what they should do or anything, just a guess of what they will do.)

Top Bottom