• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No More Heroes was a good game on the Wii, but the Wii had a fantastic line up. Brawl, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country, Brawl, Xenoblade, Wii Sports, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, New Super Mario Bros., I mean, in many ways it's a line up so solid it didn't even need the third party support to deliver top quality.
i assume you meant to say brawl twice?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realise you had the ability to know what everyone else was thinking.

but it’s a far smaller number of “many” people. A comparison that flimsy can be made to just about anything. And honestly I don’t think NMH is considered one of the best wii games. Certainly not by Nintendo fans the vast majority of them would say things like galaxy Zelda and brawl. See recognition isn’t the same as liking something I recognise plenty of things I don’t like, usually as they cut benefits again. I’ve was in the middle of the Nintendo fandom through out the wii era and barely anyone mentioned it but people never stopped going on about megaman and castlevania. By any way you can even come close measure the best third party games NMH was not that for the wii. I think it was monster hunter. See it’s not a simple thing to understand cause you are the one who understand stands. No other travis fan on this forum seems to think this way
Well that sure is random. I mean, aren't you the one telling me how that "works" around here?

You keep going on about what you think but you don't represent everybody. What is true is that a lot of fans do like No More Heroes and it has been considered one of the best games on the Wii. It's got numerous positive reviews and it made Travis a popular choice for Smash among fans. Nobody stopped mentioning No More Heroes, especially when it had two games released on the Wii. At this point, it seems more like you're trying to downplay whatever kind of popularity it does have, almost like you got something personal against it.

i assume you meant to say brawl twice?
Well, would you look at that. You actually asked.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well that sure is random. I mean, aren't you the one telling me how that "works" around here?

You keep going on about what you think but you don't represent everybody. What is true is that a lot of fans do like No More Heroes and it has been considered one of the best games on the Wii. It's got numerous positive reviews and it made Travis a popular choice for Smash among fans. Nobody stopped mentioning No More Heroes, especially when it had two games released on the Wii. At this point, it seems more like you're trying to downplay whatever kind of popularity it does have, almost like you got something personal against it.
no I was telling you what had happened. You were making claims about what the other were doing

no one’s ever said people didn’t like it, they said it’s not in the same level as the other two. So what your view is? If I can’t say that my experience of the Nintendo fandom where nobody cared was the how it was most of it why does your claims that everyone loved it get to be right? How can either of us prove we know the most Nintendo fans? Conversely mate it could be said that you’re trying to big it up as though it saved your life. If you’re gonna accuse me of having something personal against it makes you look paranoid and out of logic

one last thing: don’t. You. Dare. Patronise. Me.

Sucumbio Sucumbio would you mind stepping in and using your mod authority to “I don’t care who started it I’m ending it” this conversation. I can’t I’m stuck in the loop and they’ve started accusing me of just hating the thing they love and I dread to think where it goes next

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will be curious to see if/how relationships change with third parties (and especially creators of particular characters) when the first Smash without Sakurai begins development. One of the recurring things in interviews is that so many prominent gaming figures with appearances in Smash both respect and (arguably even more importantly) trust Sakurai to do justice to guest fighters. Now granted its not like such people are instantly going to be suspicious the moment someone else takes the reigns of the series, and Nintendo is pretty trustworthy overall with its guests, but especially with something like Tekken where he understands that series in and out, there could be a definite shift when a varied creator like him won't be there to oversee everything.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
no I was telling you what had happened. You were making claims about what the other were doing

no one’s ever said people didn’t like it, they said it’s not in the same level as the other two. So what your view is? If I can’t say that my experience of the Nintendo fandom where nobody cared was the how it was most of it why does your claims that everyone loved it get to be right? How can either of us prove we know the most Nintendo fans? Conversely mate it could be said that you’re trying to big it up as though it saved your life. If you’re gonna accuse me of having something personal against it makes you look paranoid and out of logic

one last thing: don’t. You. Dare. Patronise. Me.

Sucumbio Sucumbio would you mind stepping in and using your mod authority to “I don’t care who started it I’m ending it” this conversation. I can’t I’m stuck in the loop and they’ve started accusing me of just hating the thing they love and I dread to think where it goes next
That's...actually what you were doing.

The difference is that I'm going by comments said by other people. The whole reviews, discussions, all that stuff is something I've personally seen, not something I "think" happened. Big difference. And no, I've actually acknowledged that NMH is a cult classic but you guys think it's straight up insulting to compare it to any big name third-party series, the series is popular enough remain fresh in people's mind to this day.

I will be curious to see if/how relationships change with third parties (and especially creators of particular characters) when the first Smash without Sakurai begins development. One of the recurring things in interviews is that so many prominent gaming figures with appearances in Smash both respect and (arguably even more importantly) trust Sakurai to do justice to guest fighters. Now granted its not like such people are instantly going to be suspicious the moment someone else takes the reigns of the series, and Nintendo is pretty trustworthy overall with its guests, but especially with something like Tekken where he understands that series in and out, there could be a definite shift when a varied creator like him won't be there to oversee everything.
Somebody else could probably do just as good as him, if not better. Who knows?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Somebody else could probably do just as good as him, if not better. Who knows?
Potentially yeah, but there's also reputation to consider.

Even if a new guy is brought in and is amazingly talented, companies may still be hesitant because it's not Sakurai. Smash is able to get as many properties as it does because Sakurai's reputation precedes him.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Potentially yeah, but there's also reputation to consider.

Even if a new guy is brought in and is amazingly talented, companies may still be hesitant because it's not Sakurai. Smash is able to get as many properties as it does because Sakurai's reputation precedes him.
But wouldn't they have to check the records of the new guy to see what he's done already?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But wouldn't they have to check the records of the new guy to see what he's done already?
Well yeah. But even then, he wouldn't have Sakurai's reputation. Unless we're talking about someone as widely famous like Miyamoto or GabeN, they'd still fall short there.

A person's credentials on paper can only get you so far. So much of the business world is reputation and connections.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Well yeah. But even then, he wouldn't have Sakurai's reputation. Unless we're talking about someone as widely famous like Miyamoto or GabeN, they'd still fall short there.

A person's credentials on paper can only get you so far. So much of the business world is reputation and connections.
Of course their reputation may not be that big at that point but I think with enough experience in that particular field and with enough solid games under their belt, other companies may find that enough to trust them. Plus, no doubt that whoever would be taking over Smash have studied the series and understand how characters are designed for it too.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
you never said anything about their business practices you just said you hated disney. so to anyone who doesn't live inside your head it's gonna sound like you hate everything from mickey to mirabel. and therefore playing a game series where those things are central to their identity isn't going to make any sense. it'd be like me playing a game all about daisy. so don't bring in that condescending talk for not knowing everything about you
Literally none of this matters. Congratulations.

what wont help is everyone forgetting that sakurai said "this aint happening a second time"
Also doesn't matter. Well done.

Ivander

Smash Legend
How did we get to a point where we're talking about The Ninja Warriors in Smash? I'd never even heard of the games before today...
I knew of them before Smash Ultimate. :happysheep: The pros of being a retro seeker.

On the other hand, I didn't know the SNES game, which was based on the Arcade game, got a remake.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
white frost is right i should just ignore them and move on, that last one in particular was clearly a bate and the other guy is just a kettle calling another kettle a kettle at this point

well the relationship between the companies themselves is unlikely to change, sega, SE and NB still work with nintendo a bring plenty of stuff to their consoles. microsoft has made it sound like the day where nintendo laughed them out of a room are long behind them. and they seem to be fine at working with disney every once in a while. plus i think they all love the free advertising. but i would say smash would see a definite shift if sakurai ever left. after all a lot of it is down to him with characters added in form himself, or for portraying them the way he seems them etc. so another person would certainly see a shift i they thought things like "why doesn't bowser use his own voice?" or "why are kirby stages restricted to these three games?". whether that would be good or bad is a matter of opinion but so much of sakurai goes into these games a shift would happen

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know this isn't related to Smash (unless anybody wants to talk about a Smash Cinematic Universe), but we're FINALLY getting the teaser trailer for the Mario movie:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know this isn't related to Smash (unless anybody wants to talk about a Smash Cinematic Universe), but we're FINALLY getting the teaser trailer for the Mario movie:

can you feel the dread?

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

inb4 The trailer doesn't show the character models and just their shadows like the pre-redesign Sonic poster.

Laniv

Smash Champion

You know, after months of joking about it to cope with the fear, I don't think I'm ready to hear Chris Pratt's voice come out of Mario's mouth

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe they can still happen if there are minimal moveset changes? And just updated models from Ultimate in general. Which is something I really would expect if Sakurai isn't main director anymore. A new director would probably show his creativity with their choice in newcomers and move set ideas for them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
i don't think anyone is
Personally, I’ve always preferred Lou Albano as Mario’s voice, even over Charles Martinet. I think the Super Mario Bros. Super Show got their voices perfect back in the day for the whole cast. It’s sad that he’s no longer with us.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Personally, I’ve always preferred Lou Albano as Mario’s voice, even over Charles Martinet. I think the Super Mario Bros. Super Show got their voices perfect back in the day for the whole cast. It’s sad that he’s no longer with us.
Did Toad or Yoshi VAs from the Nelvana cartoons passed away too?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Did Toad or Yoshi VAs from the Nelvana cartoons passed away too?
I’m actually not sure. I’ll have to check on that. Either way, I’m sure Chris Pratt will be fine. I really enjoyed Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu and that sounds way stranger out of context.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But that's a SNES game. What about the NES games?
I love Gurgu Volcano from Final Fantasy I (particularly the version from FFIX). It’s funny that I was a huge Final Fantasy fan and have been a gamer since the NES but never got into the series (or RPGs in general) until Final Fantasy X on the PS2. I loved it so much I went back to play the older games and now FFIX is possibly my favorite game of all time.

Ironically enough, despite playing games during the NES, I’ve never played an NES version of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, or CastleVania (although I have played the DS remakes of the FF games).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think anything related to Nintendo stuff is fair game here, the Social Thread is generally too broad and encompasses non video game stuff a lot of the time, so it's important to have a thread that isn't too narrow here.
You're probably right, though given the thread is literally called "Next Smash - Speculation and Discussion Thread", I wanted to play it safe, just in case.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You're probably right, though given the thread is literally called "Next Smash - Speculation and Discussion Thread", I wanted to play it safe, just in case.
I can see your reasoning for caution as well, although for future reference, I do remember general Nintendo stuff being discussed quite often on the Newcomer/DLC speculation thread during Ultimate's lifespan as well without too much trouble. As such, having a social thread for literally everything, a Nintendo thread for Nintendo stuff, and a Smash thread for Smash stuff would probably be too many threads for the site userbase to split attention between, so this thread would function best as a combination of the latter two, rather than have a bunch of mostly empty/abandoned threads.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the very least if Pratt ends up voicing a version of Mario in the next Smash, we'll at least know which Smashboards posters to blame.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I love Gurgu Volcano from Final Fantasy I (particularly the version from FFIX). It’s funny that I was a huge Final Fantasy fan and have been a gamer since the NES but never got into the series (or RPGs in general) until Final Fantasy X on the PS2. I loved it so much I went back to play the older games and now FFIX is possibly my favorite game of all time.

Ironically enough, despite playing games during the NES, I’ve never played an NES version of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, or CastleVania (although I have played the DS remakes of the FF games).
Really? How come?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Good on you for not playing the NES Metal Gear though the other two on NES are some of the best on the system… that’s not saying TOO much since a lot of genres had their breakout success there but eh

Top Bottom