• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member

I'm passing by this circus of a website to throw my two cents on a potential Xenoblade 3 rep next Smash.

With how fan speculations tend to suggest that Xenoblade 3 is going be the finale of the "-blade" saga (the story-driven part of it, at least), it's likely we're going in a new EarthBound situation, namely that the Xenoblade series would be finished by the time next Smash will be a thing.

And you know what, if this case ever happens, I'd be fine if we end up with just :ultshulk: and :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: as the sole reps of the Xenoblade series.
Each one of them represent the two sides of the same coin of Xenoblade 3's premise, namely the interconnected fate of both XC1's and XC2's worlds.

I'm waiting on what the XC3 cast could bring on the table as far as interesting moveset potential go, but I'd still be content if we won't get a Xenoblade newcomer by the time next Smash exists.
Well, eventually Elma if XCX2 happens and that she's still part of it and a few more cameos like a new Assist Trophy, and that's it.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
who would you like them to buy ?

me personally would be Arcsystem.
I'm honestly not sure. Company so far getting snatched up seem to be distressed in some way. Capcom, Sega, etc. seem to be fine so I'd put less weight into their being bought. Which leaves companies with issues and I don't really follow that closely so...

But if I think about it I don't really want any. I feel that dev studios do their best work when they're fresh, underfunded and obscure. It let's them be themselves without the specter of their benefactor looming overhead.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly not sure. Company so far getting snatched up seem to be distressed in some way. Capcom, Sega, etc. seem to be fine so I'd put less weight into their being bought. Which leaves companies with issues and I don't really follow that closely so...

But if I think about it I don't really want any. I feel that dev studios do their best work when they're fresh, underfunded and obscure. It let's them be themselves without the specter of their benefactor looming overhead.
you may have a slightly romanticised idea of indie development

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
who would you like them to buy ?
There's literally only one company that I think Nintendo should buy, and that's Square Enix. Square has been on quite the downfall, and Sony is rumored to buy Square eventually, but I think Nintendo would actually treat the company with respect, unlike Sony, so I would generally prefer if Nintendo were the ones to eventually buy Square.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Square's a playstation system seller and will be their owner if they sell... That is unless FF is supported on Nintendo again but main games haven't launched on Nintendo since FFVI so .. good luck with that.

Aside, Square and Team Ninja co-authored Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. Despite there is no news about it coming to Switch (of course), Nintendo buying Koei Tecmo could be a back door to wooing Square... I see the biggest hurdle being Square tho. They need the powerhouse Hobbs of consoles to run their amazing visuals.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Square's a playstation system seller and will be their owner if they sell... That is unless FF is supported on Nintendo again but main games haven't launched on Nintendo since FFVI so .. good luck with that.

Aside, Square and Team Ninja co-authored Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin. Despite there is no news about it coming to Switch (of course), Nintendo buying Koei Tecmo could be a back door to wooing Square... I see the biggest hurdle being Square tho. They need the powerhouse Hobbs of consoles to run their amazing visuals.

have you seen the amount of SE stuff on the switch?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There's literally only one company that I think Nintendo should buy, and that's Square Enix. Square has been on quite the downfall, and Sony is rumored to buy Square eventually, but I think Nintendo would actually treat the company with respect, unlike Sony, so I would generally prefer if Nintendo were the ones to eventually buy Square.
Plus we could finally have Geno and Mallow back

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
have you seen the amount of SE stuff on the switch?
Yep. Like I said until the main FF series games become system sellers for Nintendo like they did and do PlayStation (and I guess Xbox now? Heh) it's all a consolation prize. A grim reminder of the great schism. Ah well. What's done is done. Nintendo is beneath Sony in buyer strength for Square acquisition and this is mostly the concern.

For Sega, Konami imho much stronger buying stance. For Capcom I still think it falls to Sony because RE and SF have had a similar effect as FF for moving Playstations going back about as far.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yep. Like I said until the main games become system sellers for Nintendo like they did and do PlayStation (and I guess Xbox now? Heh) it's all a consolation prize. A grim reminder of the great schism. Ah well. What's done is done. Nintendo is beneath Sony in buyer strength and this is mostly the concern.
so because they don’t have any FF games after 12 there’s a huge divide between them? Even though like most of SE other big series are on there like DQ and nearly the entire KH series. A bunch of original titles and many remakes and remasters.

I don’t think any 3rd party game is a system seller for Nintendo, it’s their own stuff

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Playtonic and Koei-Tecmo make sense if Nintendo is looking to pick up development studios. The former’s employees have a lot of history with Nintendo through RARE and the latter have worked with Nintendo on tons of games, most recently on Three Hopes.
Yes definitely. And I'd salute them for this. The Warriors games seem to do best with famous Nintendo brands backing them too, and offer great spin off titles so far. Never played a Warriors game until it made me directly control Impa and Dimitri on a battlefield, fighting hoards of enemies (they're also my most wanted characters outside of Dixie and Isaac).

And Playtonic is RARE, but without the Microsoft licencing issues. Am not sure why Nintendo didn't try to aquire them already, seems like a perfect fit for AT LEAST Donkey Kong games, and Yooka Laylee especially fit right home with Nintendo.

Not a bad idea, but Sony is more obvious because of all the exclusive content and the focus on HD graphics and other stuff you need expensive hardware for. The Switch so far has been great for the relationship between Nintendo and Square, and honestly I'd love for Square to work in famous Nintendo IPs as Zelda (a classic RPG maybe?), Fire Emblem, Golden Sun and more... But I just don't see it as likely. They'd ask a huge sum too am sure.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
so because they don’t have any FF games after 12 there’s a huge divide between them? Even though like most of SE other big series are on there like DQ and nearly the entire KH series. A bunch of original titles and many remakes and remasters.

I don’t think any 3rd party game is a system seller for Nintendo, it’s their own stuff
Oh I gotcha no I'm referring to the day Square was no longer to Nintendo like ... Well Sora is today? I think?.... It's way back Sony was making a cd drive for the SNES and instead released their own console. Square stopped making Nintendo exclusives and instead made Sony exclusives until ... A handheld title in 03 I think... Tactics. Anyway no matter I'm not sure if my point was clear but in essence this drought if you will which is still reeling as we've yet to get a mainline FF release on a Nintendo system... Well tells me Square won't ever sell out to Nintendo but they will happily do business as a strong 3rd party which is why their stock is higher than Nintendo's pocket anyway. Not out of reach for Sony tho. They have the hardware to attract big visual studios like Square. But anyway more to the point Sega and Konami feel much closer to home speculatively.

And as for 3rd party right now that's true but when they were under Nintendo they were as attractive as Sora is today as we have bought the last 3 Nintendo consoles for Smash (system seller). So if Sora were to suddenly be independent like SE, and the next Smash comes out on only PlayStation well... Haha bye Nintendo sorry.

What's the other one I'm thinking of ... The fire emblem team blahh

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh I gotcha no I'm referring to the day Square was no longer to Nintendo like ... Well Sora is today? I think?.... It's way back Sony was making a cd drive for the SNES and instead released their own console. Square stopped making Nintendo exclusives and instead made Sony exclusives until ... A handheld title in 03 I think... Tactics. Anyway no matter I'm not sure if my point was clear but in essence this drought if you will which is still reeling as we've yet to get a mainline FF release on a Nintendo system... Well tells me Square won't ever sell out to Nintendo but they will happily do business as a strong 3rd party which is why their stock is higher than Nintendo's pocket anyway. Not out of reach for Sony tho. They have the hardware to attract big visual studios like Square. But anyway more to the point Sega and Konami feel much closer to home speculatively.

And as for 3rd party right now that's true but when they were under Nintendo they were as attractive as Sora is today as we have bought the last 3 Nintendo consoles for Smash (system seller). So if Sora were to suddenly be independent like SE, and the next Smash comes out on only PlayStation well... Haha bye Nintendo sorry.

What's the other one I'm thinking of ... The fire emblem team blahh
well SE world doesnt revolve around FF most of their other major series are routinely on nintendo consoles. in fact even though their cloud games there are more KH games playable on nintendo consoles than on sony's

i think the n64 might be the only nintendo console without any SE titles on it, maybe the wii u and surely the virtual boy. but you described what they do get as a consolation prize and sign of a "schism". what ever rift existed between the two companies didnt last for more than a generation

my point isnt that theyll let nintendo buy them its that the idea of a rift between the two companies just doesnt seem to be true

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
well SE world doesnt revolve around FF most of their other major series are routinely on nintendo consoles. in fact even though their cloud games there are more KH games playable on nintendo consoles than on sony's

i think the n64 might be the only nintendo console without any SE titles on it, maybe the wii u and surely the virtual boy. but you described what they do get as a consolation prize and sign of a "schism". what ever rift existed between the two companies didnt last for more than a generation

my point isnt that theyll let nintendo buy them its that the idea of a rift between the two companies just doesnt seem to be true
That's clearer still thank you. Honestly unless they re-enter the fold their relationship will forever be as it is now... I'm not saying it's bad it's different. So we stop commerce between a city that's cleaved in two? No we build a bridge. So it's there but if we're discussing a Nintendo vs Sony buyout of SE it's like, well Sony. Because as you say no one is buying Nintendo systems for Dragon Quest (angry mob of DQ fans who bought their switch just for DQXI not Nintendo exclusive either so like all one of you). Wait routinely Exclusive to Nintendo? Octopath Traveler! I bought my Switch for That game. (I did not.) ... Uh ..... I'm bad with remembering IPs ><

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To be perfectly honest, I don't ownership (and likely) exclusivity to either Sony or Nintendo suits SE well. They along with Capcom benefit best from having major graphic intensive titles for consoles like the Playstation (or the Xbox in the West) and more modest stuff that can excel on Switch (especially in Japan). As incompetent as Square Enix has proven to be with certain Nintendo releases like the Kingdom Hearts Cloud version, the marketplace for titles like Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, and so forth is on a semi-portable console that's doing numbers, like the Switch has.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm passing by this circus of a website to throw my two cents on a potential Xenoblade 3 rep next Smash.

With how fan speculations tend to suggest that Xenoblade 3 is going be the finale of the "-blade" saga (the story-driven part of it, at least), it's likely we're going in a new EarthBound situation, namely that the Xenoblade series would be finished by the time next Smash will be a thing.

And you know what, if this case ever happens, I'd be fine if we end up with just :ultshulk: and :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: as the sole reps of the Xenoblade series.
Each one of them represent the two sides of the same coin of Xenoblade 3's premise, namely the interconnected fate of both XC1's and XC2's worlds.

I'm waiting on what the XC3 cast could bring on the table as far as interesting moveset potential go, but I'd still be content if we won't get a Xenoblade newcomer by the time next Smash exists.
Well, eventually Elma if XCX2 happens and that she's still part of it and a few more cameos like a new Assist Trophy, and that's it.
Yeah none of the XB3 characters do strike me as more important than the other. And both Shulk and the Aegis are basically the most important characters in their lore. They're demigods in their universes, all resolves around them. None of the XB3 main characters strike me as more important over the other. Also, they seem to keep the Blade system, so that's a plus for the Aegis staying.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
WRONG ! HAHAHA, it's being play tested right now probably. BOOM!!! 1-0, no comeback is remotely possible after this. Accept your utter defeat.
OBJECTION!

Yoi say it's being play tested right now. But if that's the case...

slams desk, points dramatically

Why haven't we seen any major publications talking about it!?!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
WRONG ! HAHAHA, it's being play tested right now probably. BOOM!!! 1-0, no comeback is remotely possible after this. Accept your utter defeat.
Playtesting is an important part of game development. Thus it is part of someone's job and is not "play."

Checkmate atheists.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah none of the XB3 characters do strike me as more important than the other. And both Shulk and the Aegis are basically the most important characters in their lore. They're demigods in their universes, all resolves around them. None of the XB3 main characters strike me as more important over the other. Also, they seem to keep the Blade system, so that's a plus for the Aegis staying.
I would say that Noah clearly has the lead over all his other friends. He has the "xeno blade" of the title, more dialogue and cutscene focus, is the lead for the beginning parts of the game, and even an evil doppelganger within the bad guys.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I would say that Noah clearly has the lead over all his other friends. He has the "xeno blade" of the title, more dialogue and cutscene focus, is the lead for the beginning parts of the game, and even an evil doppelganger within the bad guys.
I mean, literally every main party member can use any weapon, including that Xenoblade. Still I think Noah and Mio are going to have the most focus, so a Stance Changer with those two as Alternate Costumes like Byleth, swapping between their two weapons would be the best case scenario for a XC3 Character IMO.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, literally every main party member can use any weapon, including that Xenoblade. Still I think Noah and Mio are going to have the most focus, so a Stance Changer with those two as Alternate Costumes like Byleth, swapping between their two weapons would be the best case scenario for a XC3 Character IMO.
Yes, but it's not their's. You won't see anyone else cutting bosses up with it in cutscenes, except perhaps the first cutscene where they introduce the mechanic.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
my thought is more is there a company with a bunch of characters who you would like to see in smash ?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
my thought is more is there a company with a bunch of characters who you would like to see in smash ?
A bunch? Hmm...not really. Koei Tecmo, with Ryu Hayabusa and Rygar. Microsoft with Master Chief or Doomguy. Kratos from Sony. Jill Valentine and Dante from Capcom. Then some smaller indie reps.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yes, but it's not their's. You won't see anyone else cutting bosses up with it in cutscenes, except perhaps the first cutscene where they introduce the mechanic.
A large part of the game, from what I can tell, is their relationship. From what I can gather, it seems that they will both be sharing a spotlight, even if only one of them is canonically using the Xenoblade of that game. Besides, it's not like the Xenoblade Cast have been strangers to some creative liberties in the past, I mean Shulk doesn't use the Monado correctly, so taking a more logical one based around a Game Mechanic, and having a Stance Changer Moveset, based around Class Swapping, while having both characters playable as a Byleth style Costume Select, with their own animations in tow, I feel, would be an amazing way to represent not just a game mechanic, but also represent their relationship, and keep the theming of the Xenoblade Characters all being Stance Changers.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll say it again: we don't need another franchise in Smash that gets "obligatory fresh face from newest game". I'm actually hoping both Pokémon and Fire Emblem will stop being that too.

It would be best if all franchises in Smash took a "wait and see" approach after Ultimate instead of the unsustainable approach of including every new protagonist.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll say it again: we don't need another franchise in Smash that gets "obligatory fresh face from newest game". I'm actually hoping both Pokémon and Fire Emblem will stop being that too.

It would be best if all franchises in Smash took a "wait and see" approach after Ultimate instead of the unsustainable approach of including every new protagonist.
its a rule of tpc to reference the latest gen and sakurai loves FE. So there’s more reason than just they need a “fresh face”

look at ultimates base roster did we get someone from xcx or echoes? Nope

Last edited:
Top Bottom