• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Glubbfubb

Smash Master
I prefer Harry from teleroboxer to represent the virtual boy it would be cool playing as a giant robot boxer
Well virtual boy could also reference all those cruddy nintendo peripherals like the power glove and rollin rocker

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Well virtual boy could also reference all those cruddy nintendo peripherals like the power glove and rollin rocker
But why? I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of a playable game system, but what does the Virtual Boy have anything to do with those things? Also, the Roll 'n' Rocker wasn't even a Nintendo product, it was LJN's.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Speaking of LJN; Atlus and Rare were outsourced to develop games for the NES with the brand.
More recently, Piko Interactive had acquired the rights to the name "LJN". And yes, it is the same LJN as way back when.

To think AVGN's 200th episode's plot was basically the Nerd acquiring ownership of LJN. Imagine if he'd found out about that...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Really? To each their own I suppose. Sneasel has always been one of my favorites. It, Houndoom, and Gligar are my top three favorite Gen 2 Pokémon. Weavile, while still pretty cool, kind of drags it down a bit for me personally, like most Gen 4 evolutions IMO. What puts you off about the line?
Mainly that I main an all-Dark team, really want a Dark/Ice-type on my team, and Weavile isn't sufficiently edgelordy enough.

I currently run:
Honchkrow
Greninja(formerly Sharpedo)
Incineroar(formerly Houndoom)
Krookodile
Weavile
Shiftry

But I'm not really happy with Weavile or Shiftry.
I wish Luxray was Elecric/Dark...and that there was a Grass/Dark starter.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
I dont know if anyone personally wants this but particularly hope for the next Smash Game to be an RPG, as in something line Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy, if we cant have all the fighters retiring we should take the kept fighters and put them in a new genra format
I think that should be more like a spin-off than a mainline game.

Even though RPG is not really my favorite genre, I have often thought Smash would make a good RPG. I've even once considered getting an RPG Maker to make my own. But it's probably a good thing I didn't since I'm not a fan of the genre.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
There are no "fourth parties" just as there are no "second parties" lmao
4th party is a fan term. Everyone knows what it means. It's useful shorthand.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure where the term "fourth party" came from. I'm guessing it was just kind of a meme started by people using it as a way to say that Goku and Shrek have no way in hell of making it into Smash.
It just means a character from a non-videogame property.

There is. It's the basic words; Non-Video Game Third Party. Simplicity is sometimes good(and less confusing for people who never heard of the term).
Yeah, the "simplicity" of a term that's 5x longer...

Personally, I like Sharpedo and Houndoom better than Greninja and Incineroar, but this might be a rare opinion to have...
I love Greninja. I do like Houndoom better, but I like having both starters.

sigh...why couldn't at least ONE of the Decidueyes have been Dark...

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
With the exception of Captain N and other characters that did not debut in video games but are related to them, other 4th party characters like Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man, Terminator etc. should not even be mentioned in the Super Smash Bros. series otherwise the series will lose its fame.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I wish Luxray was Elecric/Dark...and that there was a Grass/Dark starter.
Little off-topic, but I feel a need to rant about Pokemon.

Everyone and their mother seems to think that Luxray should've been Electric/Dark, and really, I don't know WHY it's pure Electric. In fact, looking through the list of Electric-type Pokemon, it seems we've got a LOT of single-typers. In retrospect, it's pretty painful to think how many potentially unique type combinations they've completely squandered. Zeraora an Electric/Fighting? Nope, just Electric. Xurkitree an Electric/Grass? Nope, just Electric. Luxray an Electric/Dark? Nope, also just Electric.... though we would FINALLY get an Electric/Dark in Gen8, though in the form of Morpekko, the underpowered Pikachu expy that every generation seems to have. And that's another thing: it feels to me like they keep the number of Electric-types that are introduced each generation ridiculously low so that it wouldn't take spotlight away from Pikachu (whom, of course, HAS to be part of any regional Dex that isn't Gen5) and at least one other electric rodent included in every generation. Really seems like quite a waste of what is pretty much one of the most basic of RPG elements (alongside fire and ice).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay. The specifics for Captain N.

Nintendo owns the characters. Always has.
DiC owns the episode rights.

So Nintendo can use the character Captain N anytime they want to (they just don't seem to want to) but they can't include episodes from the cartoon series without permission from DiC.

There was also a short lived comicbbok series that only used Nintendo characters, no Simon or Megaman or anything like that, (but they did have Samus) that listed all character depicted where property of Nintendo in the legal disclaimer section.
and if your avatar is anything to go by they had really weird ideas about samus

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, when I first heard about the whole Square selling IPs for dirty deeds done dirt cheap, I didn't believe it at first.

"No way Square sells anything they have, and DEFINITELY not unless they are getting a pretty penny!"

Then I found out it was basically just all their Western stuff and nothing they seem to remotely care about, which left me laughing and excited for the future.

So we go from Square having all these IPs and screwing up on a couple of them and not doing anything with the rest, to someone who may be more capable getting the chance to breathe life and success back into these properties, AND it means that talking with Square about future Smash prospects removes some competition from my boi?

Here's for hoping that the new Smash has a little ways to get yet and no negotiations with third parties for new characters have happened just yet, because anything already set in stone before this won't really be undone.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Personally, I like Sharpedo and Houndoom better than Greninja and Incineroar, but this might be a rare opinion to have...
No, I agree with both of those. Houndoom is one of my all time favorite Pokémon. It’s not particularly strong competitively though. I’ve always really liked Sharpedo as well. It and Greninja are very close, it’s hard to say which I like better but I’ll lean towards Sharpedo.

Greninja and Incineroar are cool too. Greninja is probably my third favorite Water starter after Blastoise and Feraligatr. Incineroar is both cool and kind of dumb at the same time but Smash really did a lot to warm me up to it and I like it a lot more now. It has a ton of personality.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
With the exception of Captain N and other characters that did not debut in video games but are related to them, other 4th party characters like Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man, Terminator etc. should not even be mentioned in the Super Smash Bros. series otherwise the series will lose its fame.
I don’t think if 4th party character gets represented smash will lose it’s fame we are probably going to reach 100 characters soon if a 4th party gets in it will just be 1% of the Roster which wouldn’t really effect the series in fact a character like Goku could probably bring a new audience to play smash which can probably generate more sales including the amiibo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
if you want an edgelord team go for ghost types

also anyone hear about SNK being bought by a dictator?
Bug types have a ton of awesome “edgelordy” Pokémon as well. You’ve got Golisopod, Scyther, Scizor, Pinsir, Orbeetle, Genesect, Vikavolt, and several others.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I still think the next Smash will have a smaller roster personally but that's only if Ultimate isn't rereleased with enhancements.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I still think the next Smash will have a smaller roster personally but that's only if Ultimate isn't rereleased with enhancements.
I think you’re probably right, which is one main reason I decided to finally start modding Ultimate. I don’t think any other Smash will ever be able to match its scale so I’d rather just keep adding to it.

Stratos

Smash Ace
In the 9th generation Pokémon we will see as it is known new regional forms of previous Pokémon with other types as well as new evolves forms.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Which is still a relative likely scenario I feel, a Smash Ultimate enchanted port for a next Nintendo console I mean. I'd expect it to happen sooner than later, especially with all the stuff going on with Square.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m having a hard time seeing how Nintendo is going to drive excitement for the next Smash game if the roster is drastically scaled back from Ultimate. I fear that most people will just see the game as a worse Ultimate, myself included, unless they give us something huge in return.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate have not yet acquired their own Amiibo, so they will in the next Super Smash Bros. game.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Some characters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate have not yet acquired their own Amiibo, so they will in the next Super Smash Bros. game.
But those are only alternate costmes F!Byleth, The Koopalings, OoT Ganondorf) i can see the LoZ characters to fill Sora's wave.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But those are only alternate costmes F!Byleth, The Koopalings, OoT Ganondorf) i can see the LoZ characters to fill Sora's wave.
Was I imagining things or did Sakurai hint at one point that they were making Amiibos of the Zelda characters in Smash during one of the directs? I remember him making a comment about none of them having an Amiibo and saying “what a shame” in a tone that implied that they had something planned. It seemed like nothing ever came of it. I guess that could have just been the fault of the English dub of the Direct.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Was I imagining things or did Sakurai hint at one point that they were making Amiibos of the Zelda characters in Smash during one of the directs? I remember him making a comment about none of them having an Amiibo and saying “what a shame” in a tone that implied that they had something planned. It seemed like nothing ever came of it. I guess that could have just been the fault of the English dub of the Direct.
was that before or after the young link one came out?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
you sure he wasn’t just referring to a restock?
I don’t think so. I’d have to watch the trailer again since it’s been a while. I’m pretty sure he was commenting that it was a shame that we never got an Amiibo of the updated designs of the Zelda characters in Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Aren't there still some slots left in Ultimate's data or something?

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Aren't there still some slots left in Ultimate's data or something?
If you're referring to character slots, some people think that they were just there to throw off data-miners. If I recall correctly, Smash4 had some unused internal slots at the time of its final update. Don't get me wrong, though, I'd love it if Ultimate could pull a Mario Kart 8DX and suddenly get updates long after we all thought support had ended.

I still remember that UPC leak for a re-printing or something, which amusingly had some gaps after Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, and other characters with notable alts. They might've had amiibos for them planned, but they sadly never came to fruition for one reason or another. Shame, though if it's true that Sora has nothing announced, it would be nice if they went back to fill up his wave with those (more so since Female Byleth and Hero got gimped).

Top Bottom