• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newcomer to Project M

TopTierDan

Smash Rookie
Like the title says, I'm n00b at Project M. Needless to say, I never was very good at Melee. However, I was halfway decent at Brawl. I figured better place to start then the people that actually play this game. So, I come to you guys, in my time of need to answer my questions. I was wondering what I would have to learn and the steps I should take to become at least halfway decent at this game. Things like basic movements and character selection are what I have in mind. But any suggestion is good.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
A couple questions come to mind. Who did you main in melee/brawl? Remember this game is MUCH more akin to melee than it is brawl, in terms of mechanics.

As for what there is to learn, wavedashing and shffling are probably the big two. People can argue alot of other stuff, but from a brawl player coming to PM, that's what I'd recommend.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE Wak's Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E Wak's Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM Wak's Advanced How To Play (SSBM) Part 3

These are very well put together videos covering the major components of Melee's play. These skills are directly transfer over and will allow you to build a "complete" skillset. It is a lot to start with all at once, so I recommend having a partner dedicated to learning the game. A good practice partner will allow you to work on different components of the game and provide you with a reasonably fair opponent as you get better.

Otherwise, it is beneficial to play one character exclusively until you get a better grasp of the game, look up project m 2.5 videos on youtube and look for some characters you want to try out. While it may seem like a lot of work to get into the game, you get what you put in, and using your spare time to watch videos and familiarize yourself with the game will help you out hugely in picking it up, and provide you with new ideas as you get better.

TopTierDan

Smash Rookie
A couple questions come to mind. Who did you main in melee/brawl? Remember this game is MUCH more akin to melee than it is brawl, in terms of mechanics.

As for what there is to learn, wavedashing and shffling are probably the big two. People can argue alot of other stuff, but from a brawl player coming to PM, that's what I'd recommend.
In Melee, I just picked whoever I felt like playing. I wouldn't really call anyone a main. The closest thing to it would probably be Pikachu. In Brawl however, I picked up Olimar because I felt his playstyle really fit the bill. I'm assuming it would be a wise decision to start with anything similar to those two and work my way up.

Otherwise, it is beneficial to play one character exclusively until you get a better grasp of the game, look up project m 2.5 videos on youtube and look for some characters you want to try out. While it may seem like a lot of work to get into the game, you get what you put in, and using your spare time to watch videos and familiarize yourself with the game will help you out hugely in picking it up, and provide you with new ideas as you get better.
Anyone in particular you had in mind? Who would be the basic character to learn all the tricks with?

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
There is a tried and true method of learning how to get started in this game. A few steps:

1) Pick a character to learn. Ignore tier lists and public opinion, avoid tech-heavy characters like spacies for now.
2) Watch videos of the best player of that character, note which moves they use and ask yourself: "Why is he/she using this move over that similar move?"
**After this step, you need at least one other human player who is going through the same steps to practice with**
3) Learn the basic tricks of the character via the videos, then imitate them. For example, If your Ivysaur uses dash attack a lot and the best Ivysaur player never uses it, try removing it and replacing it whatever that player would use in that situation, like ftilt.
4) If you are not winning, ask yourself: Why not? If possible, look back on your matches via recording and see when you got hit. If you are having trouble winning after you complete this step...
5) Compare your matches with step 2's videos, and repeat the process.

This works a lot better when you have more friends to play it with. The more diverse your matches get, the more experience you will get and the more bad habits you will stop forming.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Anyone in particular you had in mind? Who would be the basic character to learn all the tricks with?
Personally, I'd recommend starting with Mario, Sheik, or Marth. I've tried a lot of different characters but those are the ones that clicked the fastest for me. None of them have any weird character specific mechanics to master, they're just solid characters who are good for practicing basic stuff, rather than someone like Peach who doesn't utilize things like wavedashing, dashdancing, and SHFFLing as much as most other characters.

Top Bottom