• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love Jin as much as the next guy but for me it really does all come down to character and intensity. I just think Heihachi is one of the best villains in fighting game history. After him, any Tekken rep would be awesome. I love Tekken, though my main will always be my girl Alisa Bosconovitch. Shame she's never gonna get in - we need more robots in Smash. ;)

KatKit

Smash Lord
The Dojo inhabiting, Kazama-style practitioner I'd like to see also happens to be a Digimon character (and part vampire):

But Heihachi (or the best Mishima heir, Lee Chaolan) will suffice.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I love Jin as much as the next guy but for me it really does all come down to character and intensity. I just think Heihachi is one of the best villains in fighting game history. After him, any Tekken rep would be awesome. I love Tekken, though my main will always be my girl Alisa Bosconovitch. Shame she's never gonna get in - we need more robots in Smash. ;)
You just gave me the vision of Alisa tossing her head around like an item in Smash and doing crazy combos with it, and now I really want her in Smash, lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If I'm being honest after Harada's rant earlier this month I got the vibe that maybe character 5 is from tekken.

Maybe it's just how tekken has already crossed over with Final fantasy, Street fighter and Fatal fury before (And Fire emblem, Xenoblade and Megaman) that's giving me this vibe that it's happening.

KatKit

Smash Lord
That and TTT2 on the Wii U was basically Smash in costume form:

And it's the biggest 3D fighting game on the market. Although I think Soul Calibur has a fair shot, too, especially if Sakurai is still having trouble incorporating Heihachi's movement.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I guess we’re all sort of expecting a Bandai Namco Rep overall next then? Cause Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS, the SC character of your choice etc all have one thing in common: Namco.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So I guess we’re all sort of expecting a Bandai Namco Rep overall next then? Cause Heihachi, Lloyd, KOS-MOS, the SC character of your choice etc all have one thing in common: Namco.
Don't forget our boy The Prince!

OB is already an obscure edition. He was a peripheral and never really appeared in a game until Smash.
ROB was playable in Mario Kart DS, a couple of years before Brawl.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question

do they announce directs on Wednesday or Thursday? Ergo the direct isn’t actually on those days, they’re just saying “hey, look forward to the direct on so and so day”

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly, I'm still just surprised its taken us so long to potentially get another Namco character in general. I guess they have just wanted to make sure they've thoroughly avoided the possibility of people yelling "FAVORITISM" just because they worked on the game?

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Question

do they announce directs on Wednesday or Thursday? Ergo the direct isn’t actually on those days, they’re just saying “hey, look forward to the direct on so and so day”
I think they usually announce Directs one or two days advance, though I think it's more often two than it is one. At any rate, if we don't hear anything by Friday, we can be certain that there's gonna be nothing this week.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Question

Usually it's Wednesday since a lot of the Directs seem to be from Tuesday - Thursday. I think if we don't hear anything by tomorrow then we're getting nothing this week, unless they just drop the Terry video like they did with Joker's.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
If I'm being honest after Harada's rant earlier this month I got the vibe that maybe character 5 is from tekken.

Maybe it's just how tekken has already crossed over with Final fantasy, Street fighter and Fatal fury before (And Fire emblem, Xenoblade and Megaman) that's giving me this vibe that it's happening.
Watch it be Lucky Chloe just to reference the last time Harada blew up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question

This talk of direct prediction is giving me flashbacks to last year.
Generally they give notice the day beforehand and it varies on whether it's the Japanese or American Twitter accounts that announce it so it. Normally the Japanese one tho.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
We aren't getting a direct. I could see a live stream though, possibly around the first or second week of November, and a strong possibility of the final reveal at the end.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We didn't get Nintendo Direct when Hero dropped. We just got a presentation from Sakurai. Usually major Nintendo Directs are quarterly. So we might not get another one until January.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
My bet is that we'll just get a Terry/Smash Direct, not an entire Nintendo one.

I dont expect a Nintendo Direct until Jan or Feb

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't consider those Sakurai live feeds Nintendo Directs.

EDIT: Although Wikipedia seems to list them as such. Now I'm curious. What is or isn't considered a Direct?

Last edited:

IAmGiles

Smash Cadet
If you think Sora's designs are bad now, you need to see one of the earliest concepts. When Nomura presented this at a meeting with Disney he was met with total silence.
It's good to know the design elements were intentional. At least now I know they weren't a mistake and I can chock it up to a difference of opinion lol

But WOW, that original design is almost unbelievable. The Sora that exists is a massive step up, no doubt. Thanks for sharing!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't consider those Sakurai live feeds Nintendo Directs.

EDIT: Although Wikipedia seems to list them as such. Now I'm curious. What is or isn't considered a Direct?
The last one was technically part of a direct (played after on the same stream) so that’s probably where the confusion is.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t remember, was Sakurai’s Banjo stream as long as Hero’s? If it was, then can we expect a 22-minute ish Terry stream? :o

Can’t wait to see him going all fanboy on FF/KOF as he presents the content of FP5.

My bets for Mii costumes:

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Metal Slug character (Gunner)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don’t remember, was Sakurai’s Banjo stream as long as Hero’s? If it was, then can we expect a 40-minute ish Terry stream? :o

Can’t wait to see him going all fanboy on FF/KOF as he presents the content of FP5.

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)
They weren’t streams. Rather they were 25 ish minute videos.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I don’t remember, was Sakurai’s Banjo stream as long as Hero’s? If it was, then can we expect a 22-minute ish Terry stream? :o

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)
I want Kim Kaphwan and Blue Mary for brawler.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Why does everyone think well get a new nintendo direct so soon? Just because Terry is suppoused to come out sometime in November?
Also, Nintendo usually has some kind of Direct before the holiday season/Black Friday to announce what's going to be coming out, whether it's focused on one specific game or it's a general Direct. It's usually in the first two weeks of November, in either case.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)
Man I really hope we get a metal slug character as a mii outfit

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I really don't think we're going to get a full direct so soon after our last one. I think Terry will just get the Hero treatment.

Man I really hope we get a metal slug character as a mii outfit
Fio costume or we riot.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)
Geese Howard costume or I'll get someone to throw me off a building.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm a bit late sharing this, but the Chinese government has officially approved New Super Mario Bros U for Chinese publication.

A couple takeaways here:

First, SSBU should be one of the first approved titles and follow closely behind NSMBU. I'd personally wager that the government will approve of it without many issues. Not only is SSBU a top-tier game on the Switch, it features franchises that the Chinese are very familiar with (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, KOF and Undertale).

The government's also perfectly fine with approving more violent games like MOBAs, Crossfire (think CoD) and Overwatch. As for any issues, there might be some slight censoring of skeletal characters (Sans, Dry Bowser, Ruyji), but that's likely going to be Nintendo's doing to speed up release as Valve and Blizzard have previously done, nothing official. On the whole SSBU should be unaffected.

Second, Tencent's distributing the games there. Given that Terry's indirectly connected to Tencent (because Tencent gives SNK and SNK's Chinese owners a helping hand with SNK's mobile games) chances are that Tencent might bring up LoL or Jonesy for future consideration. The final call's going to be Sakurai's to make, yes. But I have no doubt that since Nintendo partnered with this Chinese megacorp for the Chinese release, Tencent might want a more direct piece of that juicy Smash pie. Smash is, after all, the biggest game with DLC on the Switch.

Third, my personal guess for the official Chinese release remains around Early-Mid 2020 (Around April to be more precise). Could happen earlier, but I'd wager that if Nintendo and Tencent went through all this government red tape they want to be 100 % ready for launch. Also, as I've previously speculated here, Fighter Pass 1 might be bundled in the Chinese Smash release. Not just to make Terry base game (and the other FP characters) but also to encourage official purchases / discourage people from buying imported consoles and games. Grey market consoles are very much a thing in China still.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm a bit late sharing this, but the Chinese government has officially approved New Super Mario Bros U for Chinese publication.

A couple takeaways here:

First, SSBU should be one of the first approved titles and follow closely behind NSMBU. I'd personally wager that the government will approve of it without many issues. Not only is SSBU a top-tier game on the Switch, it features franchises that the Chinese are very familiar with (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, KOF and Undertale).

The government's also perfectly fine with approving more violent games like MOBAs, Crossfire (think CoD) and Overwatch. As for any issues, there might be some slight censoring of skeletal characters (Sans, Dry Bowser, Ruyji), but that's likely going to be Nintendo's doing to speed up release as Valve and Blizzard have previously done, nothing official. On the whole SSBU should be unaffected.

Second, Tencent's distributing the games there. Given that Terry's indirectly connected to Tencent (because Tencent gives SNK and SNK's Chinese owners a helping hand with SNK's mobile games) chances are that Tencent might bring up LoL or Jonesy for future consideration. The final call's going to be Sakurai's to make, yes. But I have no doubt that since Nintendo partnered with this Chinese megacorp for the Chinese release, Tencent might want a more direct piece of that juicy Smash pie. Smash is, after all, the biggest game with DLC on the Switch.

Third, my personal guess for the official Chinese release remains around Early-Mid 2020 (Around April to be more precise). Could happen earlier, but I'd wager that if Nintendo and Tencent went through all this government red tape they want to be 100 % ready for launch. Also, as I've previously speculated here, Fighter Pass 1 might be bundled in the Chinese Smash release. Not just to make Terry base game (and the other FP characters) but also to encourage official purchases / discourage people from buying imported consoles and games. Grey market consoles are very much a thing in China still.

He's in.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Tencent is ACTUALLY ****ing scary. They have a chokehold on the industry and no one really knows it. Not just in China either. Their influence has effected Japanese and American companies drastically.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imagine turning Sans and Papyrus into humans or zombies and still have them using bones, having Bonetrousle and making bone jokes. Making them humans would certainly be strange given why the monsters are attacking you.

Zombie Bowser could be cool, though.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Andy Or Joe (Fighter)
Haohamaru (Swordsman)
Kyo mii costume or riot.

A couple takeaways here:

I remember talking about how Terry could be a good way to get Chinese gamers into Nintendo/Smash way back in April, since Nintendo was going to release the Switch in China and KoF is big there. Still can't believe I was sort of onto something with this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom