• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Smash Player Here!

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Heya guys. Nice to see this forum post is as active as always :) just wanted you lot to know that I'll be back from uni sometime next week. I've requested my mum to get me Smash 4 for christmas and I'm hoping to get my Wii U moved to my room. As I only got into this properly recently, I'm obviously not as great as probably some of you lot here so once I get everything sorted and find out my friend code I'm hoping that some people here wouldn't mind helping me out with my Robin play. I've learned tons here in uni, I can even sometimes take some matches off my trainer now, in general I've been told I learn quickly. I can't say that for myself of course but I can definitely see an improvement since I started out.

I'll leave a video here of me playing against my friend/coach you can call him. He's using captain falcon here against me (he does not main CF, he mains meta knight, but he can use almost every character in the game - plus he used to use CF in Brawl he told me and has practiced him in this a fair amount).

I'm just making a post here early to see if people will be interested in doing either Robin dittos or if people who main other characters want some matches, that's always helpful for me. I truly do want to get better at this so that maybe someday I can go tournament.

As much as I love Robin though, I am also interested in perhaps getting to be able to use other characters. I'm focusing on mastering my Robin play firstly, but even I understand that Robin has some HARD matchups in the lineup. (I picked Robin firstly because I love the FE series naturally and always found Robin cool, and also I used Robin in the 3DS version for a long time before my 3DS got mugged, this is why I haven't played Smash in a long time until I came to uni and they got me interested in it again).

Thanks much for reading at least :)

If people leave their friend codes here alternatively or just PM me them, I'll happily add you lot once I get everything sorted.

Oh and also, hope you all have a lovely christmas! :)

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
Hi and welcome.

Pretty good Robin, but a just a few things-

You should really avoid using dair onstage at all, really. 1 out of 5 of those dairs hit. The only time using dair onstage is ok is when it actually hits, which is pretty unlikely.

You're struggling with landing more than neccesary. You don't seem to fastfall much, and should really use Elwind to help land more.

In general you roll a lot when you don't really need to, and could be charging/threatening space instead.

Sorry if you weren't exactly looking for critique, but hope it helps a bit.

Last edited:

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
Adding what Tattles said, use your neutral B more. I only seen you do it twice in the video. Elthunder and Arcthunder are really good for Robin, imo. Also, B reversing/wavebouncing it can trick off your opponent, while giving you some more movement for being the slowest character in the game, running speed-wise.

To learn how to B reverse/wavebounce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1elkJwtDo (also, check his other videos for great tips)

Also, most novice Robins don't pick up their books/swords after they run out. I recommend practicing just picking up the items, and then what to do with them will come naturally.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
Hi and welcome.

Pretty good Robin, but a just a few things-

You should really avoid using dair onstage at all, really. 1 out of 5 of those dairs hit. The only time using dair onstage is ok is when it actually hits, which is pretty unlikely.

You're struggling with landing more than neccesary. You don't seem to fastfall much, and should really use Elwind to help land more.

In general you roll a lot when you don't really need to, and could be charging/threatening space instead.

Sorry if you weren't exactly looking for critique, but hope it helps a bit.

No no no, critique is precisely what I'm looking for. Should've made that more clear in my original post. Fastfall is something I used to do a ton, but I didn't do so much here I did notice. Elwind is incredibly risky to land with actually, I used to do it a lot but if they shield I get left in helpless mode and the guy I play against regularly who's in the video is someone who is very good at insta shielding. In general that's the only thing I would disagree with though. Also when in helpless mode against CF it's basically inviting him to take a stock off of me at that point.

Thanks for the dair problem and pointing that out though, I'll definitely cut down on that now. Rolling is something I do when I get to high percentages a lot, definitely something I will cut down on. Uh actually I may already be cutting down as I basically got forced to cut down when I noticed that when I get predicted rolling, a Mario player I know would just get a free up smash. Short hopping and just walking around actually worked against him lmao. I usually charge a lot more than is shown here but yeah I know the Arcthunder to FAir combo or forward throw to Thorin combos are pretty cool (you can also do Arcfire to FAir as well).

Adding what Tattles said, use your neutral B more. I only seen you do it twice in the video. Elthunder and Arcthunder are really good for Robin, imo. Also, B reversing/wavebouncing it can trick off your opponent, while giving you some more movement for being the slowest character in the game, running speed-wise.

To learn how to B reverse/wavebounce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1elkJwtDo (also, check his other videos for great tips)

Also, most novice Robins don't pick up their books/swords after they run out. I recommend practicing just picking up the items, and then what to do with them will come naturally.
I pick up my items quite regularly nowadays, not sure if I did a lot in this video though. I know most of the item counts too. 6 Arcfires, 4 Nosferatus, around 13 levin hits, 6 Thorins (not sure with arcthunder or elthunder though) but thanks for the critique. In regards of what to do with the items, I notice that I miss when I throw with them a LOT though. So that's something I need to practice more with. Also I sometimes miss the items when they run out and go to catch them, that sucks lol.

I know how to b reverse with charge, but not how to wavebounce. Never saw too much use for those techniques in matches though. Will definitely try to pick up that challenge though. Appreciate the critiques guys!

This match is fairly old now, I probably should make another video sometime to show my improvements, I'm not trying to pretend I'm better than I am, just being honest when I say some of the things are stuff I had already noticed. I know that noticing is one thing, and improving upon it is another though. So basically just gonna need to lab some stuff and generally just play a whole bunch more matches.

If any of you two want to play sometime though, that'll be cool! That'll probably help me more than anything else. Playing loads and loads of matches with these things in mind is always what has improved myself I find.

Nah

Smash Champion
I'm always down for matches with people if I don't have work that day. You can usually get some matches by asking in the social thread, that's what I do a lot of the time. Also isn't B reversing and wavebouncing the same thing or....?

Casey Chase

Undine~
3DS FC
1521-4138-1029
Good stuff OP. I think you should take advantage of Robin's gimp game on Falcon (and in general). Nair is perfect for that. Make them feeeeeeeeear your edgeguarding. Also, if you notice your opponent is shielding a lot when you approach, feel free to mix it up with a Nosferatu. Nos feels slow and clunky sometimes but it's very good if you can condition your opponent to shield.

I'm always down for matches with people if I don't have work that day. You can usually get some matches by asking in the social thread, that's what I do a lot of the time. Also isn't B reversing and wavebouncing the same thing or....?
Wavebouncing is a b-turnaround before a b-reverse, so you're not really wrong in a sense. Say you're running left and jump facing forwards. A b-reverse would make you both travel and face right. A wavebounce would make you travel right while facing left.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
They pretty much are the same but it's just something I've been needing to practice in general. And great! I'll post both here and in the social thread when I'm ready to play some games. Just need some friend codes! :)

Good stuff OP. I think you should take advantage of Robin's gimp game on Falcon (and in general). Nair is perfect for that. Make them feeeeeeeeear your edgeguarding. Also, if you notice your opponent is shielding a lot when you approach, feel free to mix it up with a Nosferatu. Nos feels slow and clunky sometimes but it's very good if you can condition your opponent to shield.

Wavebouncing is a b-turnaround before a b-reverse, so you're not really wrong in a sense. Say you're running left and jump facing forwards. A b-reverse would make you both travel and face right. A wavebounce would make you travel right while facing left.
I've tried gimping with Robin before but I always find it especially risky with him/her because of Robin's quite poor recovery against some opponents - Falcon being a big case as his gimp game is amazing. I use Nosferatu quite frequently nowadays (as in post this video). This was back when I was a bit stupid and thought the move was just bad in every respect (I like the move a lot now lmao, it pisses people off sometimes). It's just risky to do as it has a weird af hitbox on it and will sometimes miss people when it looks like it should hit (even the guy I play against said this when we did reverse matches).

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I second on the Nosferatu approaching. I have the bad habit of rarely using Down B but when it comes to stealing back an edge, it's the ideal option for Robin since he doesn't have efficient...or any shieldbreaking attacks.

I personally think Robin is great at mindgames. Thunder cancelling, Nosferatu for a more unpredictable approach, Arcfire to prevent edge campers when recovering, etc. Thunder canceling is my most effective and favorite tech and it's easy to do. All you have to do is charge when the opponent thinks you're charging completely then shield and quickly strike an air-approaching opponent - just don't make it appear obvious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom