• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Questions

GreyMoo

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, just started getting into Smash Bros since Smash 4 and decided to main Mr. Game and Watch because he looks awesome. I've read all the intro stuff but am still getting my butt kicked most of the time so need some help!

1. What are some combos or juggles to use other than d-throw combos. It seems like I have to keep chipping at their percentage 1 attack at a time while getting combo'd to death by characters such as Sheik and Greninja. Especially Sheik because that match-up just seems impossible.

2. How do you avoid getting juggled to death? Other than trampoline I can't change my air trajectory that much and trampoline just sends me higher which doesn't solve the issue. D-Air seems to start up pretty slow and has quite a bit of recovery when I land.

3. Sometimes I hit them with a F-Air while they are grounded and they still recover faster than me and hit me back during my recovery, and other times I get hit out of my jabs when I am already jabbing them. This seems insane because I'm getting punished for hitting them. Is this just lag or am I doing something wrong?

Sorry if these questions are really dumb but I'm tired of getting my ass kicked! Thanks!

_hunt

Smash Rookie
I don't have time to make a detailed reply, but you absolutely must not be aggressive with G&W. You cannot afford to exchange damage with characters faster than you or with a longer reach. So, you have to defend the edge, grab, throw them in the air, or over the edge and then try to gimp them with your aerials. Always try to get them in the air and combo with the up special, nair, fair and bair. Avoid the dair. Use your dash for timed pokes. Use your ftilt for knockback. Don't use your smashes until they're at a high percentage (so they forget about them in a way) and then try to time them for an early KO. Use your bacon to space them, or edge guard if they're coming from below.

G&W is hard to master, but he isn't awful. He's just not as good as he used to be.

Last edited:

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Play defensively with :4gaw: and don't run in guns blazing. His b-air isn't as good as brawl, but his f-tilt does some good knock back now. The hammer is good for luck and trolling so don't use it often or you might be punished.

Top Bottom