• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie here! I could use some advice!

Noahsshark

Smash Rookie
Okay! Thanks for looking at my thread! I've been playing project m for around six months and the last three months I've been practicing more and playing diddy kong as my main. I've been working on strategies such as wave dashing in place and foot stooling, my grabs are pretty weak, and I'm just taking any advice anyone would like to throw at me. Much appreciated!

L Pag

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2191-7643-9888
Great to see more people playing Diddy!, anywho, advice:
  • Nanners
-With bananas, you definitely want to use them for both spacing and approach. For both of these, you want to glide toss ALOT. Like ALOT. For approach i generally roll forward and throw the nanner forward as well, and then folly up to their trip with a dash attack. As for spacing, glide tossing can be used on alot of different ways. If you want distance, roll forward and throw forward. If you want to play campy for a bit, roll backward and throw forward. Also, try fooling around with aerial glide tossing and see what you prefer to do.
-If your holding a nanner and you get knocked off stage, try and incorporate glide tossing upward into your recovery. (There's also some crazy stuff you can do with under stage recovery stuff like this.)
-One thing that I like to do is when an opponent is re-spawning, take out one nanner and instead of placing it on the ground, throw it upward where you would want to place it. Nanners don't lose any of the time they have before despawning if they are in the air, so placing it on the ground while your waiting for someone to spawn can make it start to despawn. You'll also have time to take out another banana for spacing and approach.

• Dash Attack
-Diddy's dash attack is one of his best tools. It leads into alot of other moves, including another dash attack. Generally I like to approach with nanners, cuz dash attack can be predictable, and then go for a dash attack. After that, you could go for another dash attack, a forward smash, a down smash, an aerial, or anything else you see fit.
-if someone is near the edge, dash attack into them and they will fall off ledge with you.
-If you dash attack off ledge, you can easily gimp your opponent. depending on who the character your fighting is and their weight and fall speed, you can generally fast fall a bit (or sometimes not even at all) and double jump for a fair if they are close to edge at a stage with small horizontal death boxes (this works best and above 30%), dair for a quick spike, or nair or up air for continued damage/combo.

• Throws
-when you use Diddy's throws, your either using for defense, killing, or comboing (as with most characters),
-If your comboing, I would recommend back throw into a nanner or off stage and a follow up with a dash attack, or a forward throw off stage, followed with a combo or a fair for a kill.
-If your trying to kill, I would recommend a back throw off of ledge or an up throw against floaty characters at high percents.

• Out of Shield
-with Diddy, his best out of shield option is generally grabbing, and from there I would recommend a back throw and a fast follow up with either a dash attack or an up smash.
-if you jump out of shield, your best option is generally a SHFFL nair, as this can open up for juggles/combs
-In some situations, mainly against spacies, I would recommend an up smash out of shield by utilizing jump squat

• Recovery
-Diddy has arguably some of the best recovery options in the cast, especially since both his main recovery moves can spike.
-When recovering with up b, you should learn the distance based on how long you charge it and how to punish your opponent with it. The initial explosion of Diddy's up b has a fairly large hit box and, even with little charge, can easily gimp your opponent. If your in a situation in which your both off ledge and your opponent is below you (you will find yourself in this position alot, as dash attack off ledge can lead into this), then instead of just tapping up b and recovering, start charging. When you charge Diddy will sink a bit, and the bottom of the initial explosions hitbox can spike, so you can gimp you opponents recovery with your own recovery.
-As for Diddy's side b, the Monkey Flip, this is also an excellent tool for recovery. It can give you some extra horizontal distance, and if you hold b or attack, or just tap either after using it, Diddy will perform a kick that is invincible to most projectiles. If you just use the normal flip, it will grab the opponent in air, letting you either jump or attack from the grab. If the opponent is not over a platform or the stage, you should jump, as this will spike the opponent. (keep in mind that this spike can be meteor cancelled by the opponent, so sometimes you should wait a second after grabbing for you and the opponent to fall a bit before performing the jump). If the opponent is on the stage when you grab them, you should attack, as this will knock them into the air slightly, allowing for a combo

• Side Notes
-Monkey flip can also be used for approach against spammy players, as the kick will go through most projectiles.
-If your holding a banana and you grab your opponent using Monkey Flip, you can jump and immediately glide toss the banana down, causing them to slip and allowing you to follow up. This is called the Sand Trap and is better explained here
-Another good tool for approach is up smash. I wouldn't use it too often, but can be performed out of dash (as all up smashes can) and can lead to a juggle using up airs, up tilits, or more up smashes. This works best against spacies and other fast fallers
-Try and fool around with the angles up airs send people, as this can lead into alot of different combo situations.

Anyway, hope it helps. Sorry if I sounded a bit redundant or if you already knew most of it. Have fun with Durdley Kurg.
OOOOHHHH, AND ONE MORE IMPORTANT NOTE. If you use down taunt, press A when Diddy's hat hits his head for a nice surprise. Also if you hold up taunt, he will juggle for as long as you hold it.

Top Bottom