• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way to grab ledges?

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I was playing a match and I dash attacked towards the ledge while holding the opposite direction as Mario and something amazing happened! I turned around and grabbed the ledge. I have not tried this with any other characters yet but I'm sure a few more do this too. I have performed this on Yoshi's Story to test slanted edges and Final Destination is where I discovered it. I am off to test more characters!

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
I just tested all of the characters and this is a list of all heroes who can grab the edge using this technique.
Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Mewtwo
Charizard
Zero Suit Samus
King Dedede

I recommend you use this every time you grab ledge from the stage with these heroes, except Captain Falcon, because his side+b works better, with the same tactic. I am so glad this worked as well as it did. 1/4 of the heroes in the game can do something none of the others can which is great!

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Every character can do it. You just slide off the stage in the middle of your running turn around animation. It's faster to wavedash for the ledge either way though.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
How does this work with platforms or does it not work with'em?

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
Every character can do it. You just slide off the stage in the middle of your running turn around animation. It's faster to wavedash for the ledge either way though.
No, not every character can do it. The entire dash attack animation goes through this way. You can see the entire thing and for example with Mario he slides on the floor, via his dash attack animation, just as it normally would. If I hold the opposite way I'm sliding the frame it's over Mario is in the air facing the ledge. Next frame he's on the edge.

TL:DR we're not talking about the same thing.

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
I think this is really cool, but I don't think it's super duper useful because of how slow it is, I feel like just wavedashing onto the ledge or RARing onto the ledge would be more beneficial. Could be good for a mind game when edge guarding or for making dash attacks near the edge safe maybe?

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Can you use it to punish a sloppy recovery and follow up with a ledgehop Bair? Because I can see Mario using that a lot.

GeZ

Smash Lord
But taking ledge is faster if you just turn around WD.

Also this is already known.

And the only character who can apply it to something really cool is Falcon, who can DA > fall of stage > Wall Jump > Fair, where he couldn't but the fair before.

LandonRobinson

Smash Veteran
NNID
OptimumForge
3DS FC
2148-8311-3367
I was playing a match and I dash attacked towards the ledge while holding the opposite direction as Mario and something amazing happened! I turned around and grabbed the ledge. I have not tried this with any other characters yet but I'm sure a few more do this too. I have performed this on Yoshi's Story to test slanted edges and Final Destination is where I discovered it. I am off to test more characters!
I've had that happen as well! I still think I prefer wavedash back to the ledge and autograb that way, but this is definitely a great mix up.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
@ Mr.Lemon Mr.Lemon look at this thread.
No, I just tried it like 20 times each and neither can perform this.
They both can. In melee, You can't just hold the opposite direction, it works differently. I am a little consistent at the Lemon Grab in melee, but I needed to find out the timing first.

Last edited:

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom