• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Wolf

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
I'm newish (been playing for a few months) to PM, but not new to Smash Bros.

I main Marth, with a Shiek/Squirtle secondary and I would like to add Wolf to my plethora of characters to mix it up while playing.

I've never played any of the spacies, but I do know how to waveshine and jc shine. The basic stuff.

What are the BnBs of Wolf, and what should I be doing in the neutral? What are the advanced techs that Wolf holds? I'm aware that Wolf is heavily dependent on reading DI and where your opponent is launched, but what are some combos I should be trying to incorporate?

Also, how in the **** do you hit Flash? I get that the sweetspot is at the end of the move, but I can't, for the life of me, combo into it

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you :)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So Wolf functions in neutral similarly to how falco operates. While falco lacks the raw speed to create openings through movement, wolf does have that movement ability. What wolf lacks is a long lasting good damage aerial to force his way in: his nair is amazing but its no fox/falco nair and doesn't trade well, having poor priority because its multi hit, low %. So wolf relies on movement and his blaster to force reactions from his opponent and open them up from that. Tech that helps with this besides just normal movement tech is wavelanding out of blaster: you can air dodge out of neutral B as soon as the projectile is out. This lets wolf jump, throw out an amazing projectile to force the opponent to deal with it, and then either waveland back to make it low-commitment, forward to apply pressure, or in place to hold his positioning. similarly you can also wavebounce then waveland out of a dash to mix up your movement an incredible amount while still being ambiguous AND puting a hitbox out that you can convert from. There are tons of nuances that come from MU and just character experence, but in general you want to dash dance, blaster WL when you can to take control of space, and when you see an opening go in with nair/dair (nair has a landing hitbox so its always -3/-4 on shield, so aways safe sept vs a select amount of characters, and dair is -3 when done as late as possible, so opponents shielding a blaster is in deed a large opening for you to get in on.) Wolf can also function with spaces bairs because his bair is amazing and sh instant bair auto cancels, and he has imo the best grab game out of all the spacies so DD grab is also amazing.

for bread and butter combos, (nair)> shine> upair/fair/bair> follow up all work. honestly just mess around with his moves, as you get used to them everything combos into eachother, his punish game is amazing.

for comboing into flash, these moves can consistently combo into it: shine, dair (if they are grounded), upair

DI dependent (normally them DIing away leads to the flash, and almost all of them are DI mixups between getting hit by flash or strong fair at kill %s): Bthrow, Dthrow, Upthrow, dtilt, uptilt, upsmash, bair, weak fair, strong fair

situational combos into flash, normally requiring really specific %s and positioning and characters: Ftilt, get up attacks, flash itself when edge canceled

heres a good set for wolf combos, specifically at a huge combo-comeback spot: https://youtu.be/aX_GqGjolVE?t=1861

also, in case you didn't know, wolf's flash can be angles up/down and also shortened like other spacies. heres all the angles: http://imgur.com/a/piAzE#0

I suggest reading through some of the other threads to get more info, and join the skype group as its very active and we can always answer questions in there

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
Wow, thank you so much

That's a lot of info, but I think I can get it down. Thank you again :)

Also, could you refer me to the Skype group? I would like to join!

Top Bottom