• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to smash bros. and looking for tips on how to get better

maytheforcebwthu

Smash Rookie
I'm not completely new to super smash bros, I played it a lot as a kid on the nintendo 64, other than that I've played it a couple of times on the wii at a friend's house but that's about it because I'm mostly a PC player and the switch is the first console I've bought in a long time(Worth it btw!). Anyway, I have a few questions and there is a TLDR at the bottom if you don't want to read my boring rant.

I've spent about 10-15 hours on the game, 90% of it on the story mode. I enjoy playing fast characters the most, my favourites so far are Pikachu, Pit and Fox. Today I learned that using the analog stick for jumping isn't ideal(I can see why) which is what I've always done since I was a kid, so I changed to using Y, even after playing this way for a couple of hours I occasionally get an unnecessary death due to being so accustom to using the analog stick. Should I just keep forcing myself to play this way until I learn? Any suggestions on how I could learn it quicker?

Another question I have is which character(s) should I play? Is it better to focus on one or get to know all of them really well? I looked at some tier lists online, and pikachu is always listed pretty high which is one of my favourite characters, so while playing online I pretty much just spam pikachu. I struggle the most against marios which seem very common(is he a high tier pick?).

What do you wish you would have known when you first started playing smash bros competitively? Any tips or recommendations including youtube videos to help me improve is greatly appreciated.

TLDR; Favourite characters are Pit, Pikachu, Fox. Which character(s) should I play? How do I get used to using a button to jump? How can I improve?

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
Ok so im just gonna go through your TL:DR here: 1: best character out of those is pikachu (according to early tier lists)but they're all good so i recommend finding one you really like and commiting.
2:disable stick jump in the controls settings and brute force it, a lot of my friends had the same bad habit and you just have to play without it for a while, it should feel natural after a few days.
4:practice and watch youtube videos. I specifically recommend watching Zeros youtube tutorials on improving in smash ultimate. He does a very good job keeping things simple and easy to digest.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
(Copypasted from another thread)

1. Pick your characters. Choose at most 1-2 characters to have tip-top efficiency, then learn movements, combos, tech, etc (you have an affinity for Pikachu or Fox, so best stick with them). Experiment with realistic situations that you might find yourself in when playing online.

2. Get bodied online. You learn more from your losses than your wins. Find out what kept you from winning a match and train to prevent it from happening again. Ask experienced players to spar with you so that you can get advice from them. Get a LAN adapter to play with power.

3. Watch videos and read guides online. Look at pro matches of your main and emulate their play style. Browse the forums, YouTube, or social media for tech about your main.

4. Attend locals and tournaments if possible. Get comfortable with playing in a crowded environment. Watch how the pros play and learn how they make decisions. If you're lucky, ask them for a game if they're available.

5. Be consistent. Be dedicated. Be devoted. Don't lose your touch, and don't lose your cool. Play and train at a good pace and make sure everything is a learning experience. Zero in on your goal and stay determined to win at all times.

6. Shower. Get some Axe/Old Spice shampoo, body wash, and deodorant. Cover them all over your body until you smell good. Then test it out by going outside and making sure that no birds fall to their demise after smelling you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom