• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New To Sheik

Ninjack

Smash Cadet
i was playing with my mate the other night and i decided to give sheik a go becuase i thought i needed a third character (Marth and Toon Link are my mains). I really like the way she handles, her moves and her style of play but i'm not very good with her seeming i've only just started to play as her. So i was wondering if anyone had any good techniques to use for someone who is new to Sheik.

Vids would be really handy aswell

Thanks

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
I dont have much personal advice other than to spam her speed.

Of course if you would like I am the leader of the Sheik clan and I'm sure the members there would be willing to help you improve your game as her.

Ninjack

Smash Cadet
Sheik Clan?

i didn't even know there were clans for Brawl

but yeah that sounds good, thanks ^_^

Kricu

Smash Journeyman
Yea clans are just an easy way for people to find others who main the same character as them and to find wi-fi matches. Almost every character has one and I know that Ike has atleast 2. I suggest joining the ones that involve your mains or atleast checking them out because they can really help you improve your play as a character.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Some tips:

Forward Tilt is an amazing move. If your opponent incorrectly DI's (towards you or straight away from you) you can repeatedly rack up damage by spamming it. If they DI upwards, you can get 2-3 in and then end with an up-tilt, which will tack an extra 13% or so on there.

Jab: Sheik's Jab is actually very good. If you are somewhere where your opponent wouldn't want to DI away from you (like right at an edge), they will often try to DI towards you, which only racks up their damage. Also, the non-combo'd jab is very quick, and can be canceled with a crouch or sheild into tilts or grabs.

Downsmash: This is primarily a defensive move. Especially if your opponent is fond of rolling towards or around you. Lots of hits, and the second and third have longer ranges than they look like. Also fairly high priority, very fast, and decent kill power.

Lagless Aerials: Sheik's Fair, Bair, and Nair have no landing lag. At all. Use them on the way down and as soon as you hit the ground, start jabbing, grab, or downsmash. Most of the time, if they sheilded the aerial, they're still going to be sheilding in an attempt to sheild-grab you. Punish the hell out of that.

Fair Combos: Sheik's Forward air has very low knockback in Brawl, but is very fast and does OK damage. At low percentages, it is easy to string several of these in a row. ALWAYS PURSUE WHEN YOU HIT AN OPPONENT. Whether it be a Fair, Bair, or Uair, you should always chase when you knock someone away.

Avoid Dash attacks: You'll just get grabbed. Practice dash-canceling with the sheild into Grabs and Tilts if you're going to approach on the ground, or use a running upsmash.

Dash-Dance Upsmash: Dash dancing is difficult in Brawl, it takes some getting used to. But it's a lot easier if you turn off tap-jump in your conrol settings. If you get it down, Sheik's dash-dance can be a great mindgame to set up a running Up-smash. If you do things correctly, you can cover a surprising area with the Up-smash from a basically stationary starting position.

Crawling: Sheik's crawl is actually surprisingly useful. It dodges a lot of projectiles (Pit's arrows, Pk Fire, space animal lasers, etc) and even some non-projectile attacks, it moves about the same speed as walking, and there is very little lag to crouch or stand from crouching, which can surprise opponents when you suddenly run at them. Don't spam it or people will just wait for you to approach and downtilt, however.

Needles: Whenever you have a second, charge the needles. If your opponent is throwing a smash or slow move out randomly, make him pay some percentage for it. Similarly, anyone who predictably backrolls after certain actions (dash attack -> Backroll, Shff aerial -> backroll), if you throw just after they start the back roll in front of you you should catch them with the full brunt on the way out.

Defensive Uptilting: The uptilt has a huge duration , range, and priority, and decent damage and knockback. If people repeatedly jump over you or try to come in from above you, an uptilt can sour their day.

Ninjack

Smash Cadet
Some tips:

Forward Tilt is an amazing move. If your opponent incorrectly DI's (towards you or straight away from you) you can repeatedly rack up damage by spamming it. If they DI upwards, you can get 2-3 in and then end with an up-tilt, which will tack an extra 13% or so on there.

Jab: Sheik's Jab is actually very good. If you are somewhere where your opponent wouldn't want to DI away from you (like right at an edge), they will often try to DI towards you, which only racks up their damage. Also, the non-combo'd jab is very quick, and can be canceled with a crouch or sheild into tilts or grabs.

Downsmash: This is primarily a defensive move. Especially if your opponent is fond of rolling towards or around you. Lots of hits, and the second and third have longer ranges than they look like. Also fairly high priority, very fast, and decent kill power.

Lagless Aerials: Sheik's Fair, Bair, and Nair have no landing lag. At all. Use them on the way down and as soon as you hit the ground, start jabbing, grab, or downsmash. Most of the time, if they sheilded the aerial, they're still going to be sheilding in an attempt to sheild-grab you. Punish the hell out of that.

Fair Combos: Sheik's Forward air has very low knockback in Brawl, but is very fast and does OK damage. At low percentages, it is easy to string several of these in a row. ALWAYS PURSUE WHEN YOU HIT AN OPPONENT. Whether it be a Fair, Bair, or Uair, you should always chase when you knock someone away.

Avoid Dash attacks: You'll just get grabbed. Practice dash-canceling with the sheild into Grabs and Tilts if you're going to approach on the ground, or use a running upsmash.

Dash-Dance Upsmash: Dash dancing is difficult in Brawl, it takes some getting used to. But it's a lot easier if you turn off tap-jump in your conrol settings. If you get it down, Sheik's dash-dance can be a great mindgame to set up a running Up-smash. If you do things correctly, you can cover a surprising area with the Up-smash from a basically stationary starting position.

Crawling: Sheik's crawl is actually surprisingly useful. It dodges a lot of projectiles (Pit's arrows, Pk Fire, space animal lasers, etc) and even some non-projectile attacks, it moves about the same speed as walking, and there is very little lag to crouch or stand from crouching, which can surprise opponents when you suddenly run at them. Don't spam it or people will just wait for you to approach and downtilt, however.

Needles: Whenever you have a second, charge the needles. If your opponent is throwing a smash or slow move out randomly, make him pay some percentage for it. Similarly, anyone who predictably backrolls after certain actions (dash attack -> Backroll, Shff aerial -> backroll), if you throw just after they start the back roll in front of you you should catch them with the full brunt on the way out.

Defensive Uptilting: The uptilt has a huge duration , range, and priority, and decent damage and knockback. If people repeatedly jump over you or try to come in from above you, an uptilt can sour their day.
wow, this info is really going to help me improve

Thanks a lot ^_^

Lord_Naomasa

Smash Apprentice
Im a huge fan of needles, use them as much as possible. They are stronger the closer you are but using them to keep enemies at a distance is also important. Needles kill certain aspects of certain characters like killing Ike's QD or Zelda's teleport or Gannon's strong punch..... They can stop dashes. What I have seen is I will throw knifes at close distances and if they block I quickly grab them, if they dont, well, they will have a ton of knifes in their head. They can also be thrown in the air which also has its many uses.

Top Bottom