• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New To Samus

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I'm here looking for tips, videos, and anything that would help me learn Samus I've heard after the 1.1.5 patch she is completely different than before.

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
One thing that helped me start off with Samus was this: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-complete-samus-combo-and-string-list.391853/
There's an absolute crap-ton of data in here, so reading through the whole thing right away would just be way too much. Instead I went to the chart (the second post of the thread) and sat down and tried out almost every combo in the tree in training mode. You won't directly remember most of them but I think doing that gives you a good starting feel for a lot of the stuff Samus can do.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I'm not completely new to Samus, as I've been playing her for fun since launch, but now I"m considering bringing her back up to my competitive roster to go with Charizard and Ness.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I'm here looking for tips, videos, and anything that would help me learn Samus I've heard after the 1.1.5 patch she is completely different than before.
She's not completely different, some of her tools are just better now. So a lot of the pre-patch info will still be helpful.

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Unless you hate yourself like me, turn around now and never look back.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I can only re-itterate what is posted above. The guides posted above are very helpful, and seriously give Izaw's Art of Samus a watch, again, posted above. Extremely helpful, and just sheer entertaining too.

But my tip with Samus: Don't roll all the while. Samus was good for me because it mostly broke my habit of feeling the need to roll every time. Samus's roll is terrible. Remember to short hop air dodge, or just plain dash away. It's generally a lot safer. If you can Extended Dash Dance, that is great too. Her roll is of course useful every so often, but just don't think about it as your first option.

And try not to play Samus so campy, eg: Run and charge Charge Shot. You're better getting a CS in and keeping it there for respect most of the time until you know it will KO or you can lead into it. It's a good deterrant. The moment the opponent starts to forget about it and get aggressive, pop it out and bring them back down to earth. Keep opponents at bay with Zair, but don't spam it.

In reality, I find you don't want to be playing Samus too much one way either. She can't really do aggro and pull it off consistently, and camping for too long will get you punished. Your best bet to get used to Samus is to first get a CS up. Then, feel your opponent out with Zair and missiles, and when they make a move or you get an opening, go in for some damage. Rinse, and repeat.

Most of this is in The Art of Samus, so be sure to give it a watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-VChjUNcg

However, remember Samus's recovery is great. She's heavy and floaty, and you an increase horizontal distance using Bombs to recover. In general, try using Zair to recover most of the time. It's generally safer, and longer ranged too. And if you get in the air and are looking for a way to get back on stage, it can be just as safe if not safer to get to the ledge and get up there, as Samus's get up options are quite good. Fall back, jump and zair, or fall back, jump and Fair, or finally, fall back, jump and Charge Shot are all effective getup tools that clear the edge for you. Uair in substitute of Fair is good for starting a combo on opponents right on the ledge.

In terms of combos, Samus has a plethora of damaging and viable combos, but for a start, take note of these:
- Dash Attack > jump Uair > jump Uair > Screw
- Dash Attack > jump Uair > jump Fair (this is generally more reliable than above, and in general the most reliable, but is less damaging)
- Dash Attack > jump CS
- Dash Attack > jump Uair > jump CS
- Dash Attack > jump forward Fair > jump forward Fair (best at very low percents)

Dash Attack is a fantastic combo starter at all percents. Remember the move has 3 hitboxes;
- an early one frames 8-9 that deals 7% and weak knockback, the sweetspot frames 10-13, which deals 10% with average knockback, and a late hit, which deals 6% with slightly weaker knockback than the first hitbox. All of these send opponents slightly above Samus, at about a 75° angle, which makes the move a prime combo starter. The initial one works best at low to mid percents, and the weaker ones work best at lower mid to high percents.

You can get an opening into Dash Attack using a missile or Zair. You can even substitute Dash Attack with Down Throw if you like, as that works from 0% to around 70-ish%. Other good combo starters include Utilt grounded spike, and Dair, but of course, the opponent needs to miss the tech. Good follow ups from these include Screw Attack, Uair and Charge Shot, or even Nair near the ledge if you have no Charge Shot up. If you can Reverse Aerial Rush, Bair is incredible if you sweetspot it. If you are looking for a raw launching power aerial, Bair is what you are looking for.

Finally, remember not to use Usmash on most grounded opponents. Though it's a very powerful move, it can outright miss on most short opponents, and even fail to connect if the opponent is not airborne. Use it as a move for chasing down landing opponents, or punishing on platforms.

I hope this helped! I have used Samus since the release of the Wii U, and it's been a tough ride since then. Samus IMO, is a sleeper. People just assume she is not very good. A good Samus is a very scary character to be playing against.

Top Bottom