• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to PM and Lucario. Looking for some basic info that I couldn't find after searching.

Gallowz

Smash Rookie
Hey all I searched through many Lucario threads and learned a good deal of info. I haven't played Smash in years and I've finally decided to pick it up again. I'm enjoying playing and decided I wanted to learn Lucario.

I saw that you can Aura Sphere Cancel (I've looked around and searched for info about this but I can't figure out how it is done). What is that and how is it done specifically? Why should I use it and when?

I understand how his aura in general works (or how to tell I have charges). I'm not sure EXACTLY what builds charges aside from landing hits. Are there uses for the aura besides hitting A+B for the big Aura Sphere?

I am working on getting my wavedash/waveland back in shape. It's clunky at best atm but I'm improving slowly.

I'm not sure about how exactly Extreme Speed works? Is it just a way to reposition quickly and stay unpredictable? Can I do damage with it?

Are there any other novelty/staple moves that I should know concerning Lucario (that I might not recognize just from knowing the basics)?

I'd appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

Nippo

Smash Cadet
Here's what I can help with:

Aura in Project M is filled by landing physical attacks, not including grabs. Nothing else builds it.

Lucario has 4 supers that each consume an aura stock. Quoted from the P:M website:

Aura Bomb (B + A): Lucario will unleash a very large, powerful, and slow aura sphere.

Force Blast (Forward B + A): The super version of this move increases its damage and drastically increases its knockback, turning it into a potential kill move. The aerial version also throws his opponents at a downward angle rather than straight down.

Extreme Speed Cancel (Up B): This allows Lucario to end Extreme Speed prematurely by pressing A and quickly act out of it. One can use this to chase an opponent and then attack him. For recovery purposes, the cancel can also be used at the end of the move, allowing you to air dodge in an attempt to cover the little extra distance you may need to reach the stage.

Double Team Cancel (Down B): This allows Lucario to instantly attack out of Double Team by pressing A, making it a good frontal approach option. Using the cancel will briefly prolong the move's invincibility frames, giving you just enough time to land a quick hit. However, be wary, attacks can still clank, so time it right!
ExtremeSpeed is mainly for recovery and mobility, but since it now deals slight damage in P:M, it can be used in combos with an aura cancel. Unlike in Brawl, it no longer lets you stick to walls.

A good novelty move I can give is to fire off an Aura Bomb right under the edge of a stage to prevent a recovery. Or try throwing people into one!

It's also essential that you figure out his magic series combos. Look here for more info: http://projectmgame.com/en/characters/lucario

Last edited:

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Aura Sphere Cancel:

As you may know, Lucario can cancel attacks on hits. Jab/Dash attack -> Tilts -> Smashes -> Specials (B moves) on the ground, and Aerials -> Specials in the air. All of this only applies on hit or shield - a whiffed attack cannot be cancelled.

Aura Sphere, Lucario's neutral B, can be immediately used after hitting with any normal (A button) attack, ground or air. Because it can be charged, and the charging animation can be canceled by pressing a shield button (L or R by default) you can, effectively, end any attack as soon as you hit with it. I'll leave the implications of this as an exercise for the reader.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
I've got a thing or two that might help here as well. First of all, there's this thread here, written by some nice dude, with a bunch of information on character specific tech skill.

If you're looking for demonstrations of ASC, check out some of the Lucario video thread videos. I've got one posted (the game two match specifically of said post) that has a nice demonstration, or earlier videos (2.5b videos, specifically) by Eggz. I'm sure there are a few others in there, but those are the ones I think off off hand.

Staple novelties? I would personally suggest you look into learning how and when to use Lucario's specials, since they all play a pretty decent roll in Lucario combos and movement, especially aerial Force Palm, as it is practically a free damage and tech chase move when over the stage and a reliable killer when over the blast zone, unless you don't know how to connect with it in which case it is a hole in Lucario's options.

Top Bottom