• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to MK

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
How does one edge guard correctly, then recover optimally?

Is it just holding the ledge and waiting? Using invincibly of course.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Ledge drop -> jump nair is pretty standard and works often. I also find myself running off the ledge and then doing a jump nair to clip people as well, you sometimes need to go sort of deep down for it though.

You also have quite a bit of freedom with your jumps. If you do it right, you can go super deep for an offstage aerial (probably fair) and still recover, but it takes some practice because it's much harder with just 3 jumps as opposed to 4 in version 3.0. A lot of times to recover optimally from far down, you'll need to use a reverse shuttle loop to land back on the stage. Get used to doing that and doing it well, it's extremely useful.

In reality, every character gets edgeguarded differently. I would suggest looking up videos of various good MKs playing different matchups and just studying them. There is an MK video thread if I remember correctly, but if not then looking up videos still shouldn't be too much of an issue. I can reply with some more specific information when I have more time :)

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
Ledge hop aerial is bad unless you ledge dashed beforehand. Always ledge dash, it's the best option everytime and MK gets good frames on his.

Top Bottom