• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Mario: What to Know

VegiLohrd

Smash Apprentice
So I've been playing ganondorf for about 6 months now but I'm looking to pick up Mario for 2 reasons:

1. I'd like to have a couple other options so I can at least try to avoid getting pigeonholed
2. I'm from Pittsburgh and there's at least 6 Ganons and I'm a hipster.

So what do I need to know to get good with Mario?

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Mario is a character with no glaring weaknesses and no overpowering strengths. He doesn't hit hard like Gannon, but he's faster than him. He's not as fast as Fox, but he doesn't punished as hard as him. Mario doesn't have the best tools, but he has plenty of 'em. Considering this, you win with Mario through constant unflinching effort, and not through leaps and bounds. In other words, consistency is really crucial when playing Mario and you'll have to make sure that if there's something you want to do, then you do it without messing up.

Of course, like any character, you'll have to work on your basic tech with Mario first (shuffling, wavedashing, wavelanding,etc) and then work on some specific techs with Mario (getting full distance with his up-b, shabawd, learning your options out of walljumps,etc). You could also learn to up-b walljump cancel, but that technique is pretty hard to master and it's also quite situationnal, so you probably shouldn't start with that. After that, there's really not a lot to learn with Mario other than matchups and very specific stuff like we discuss here on this board.

Mario requires constant solid play. If you have that, you can probably become a good plumber.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Don't worry, SoCal gots 2 Mario's. We are on the prowl! Look out for KoopaTroopa895, he's getting a lot better (:

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how true this is, but Scorp said that Mario's a bit of a struggle character. He doesn't have anything as crazy as the top 8 so he really has to work hard to get anything, but when you do get it, it feels sooo good

Top Bottom