• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Kirby

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Ok, so normally I play as Bowser or G&W but while I was just playing some matches with one of my buds. I decided to try out some other characters, I used Kirby in the last match we played and I used him online some today.

He felt so good in my hands. I was just so comfortable using him. I felt unstoppable when I got a big combo going. I won some and lost some with him but I felt so good with him. The times I won I dominated too.

Just curious if there are some general tips to playing with Kirby. I love my two mains but perhaps G&W can become my secondary if I get Kirby going well.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Hm. at low percentages, use a down throw and then combo with uptilts and upairs.

The back air is beast. Use it to WOP, advance, defend, edgeguard... etc

Kirby can spike well. Jump off and Down air to spike them, and he can just keep repeating until they die because he can float.

Suck up the opponent and jump off to do a Kirbycide

Final Cutter can and should be spammed

Don't use Stone often.

That's about it.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Final Cutter can and should be spammed.
Just because it can be, does not mean it should be. However it should be used a bit more than it was in melee, As it come out faster, and has good combo uses. It also give Kirby an decent projectile in a pinch, all though you should try to steal a better one.

Kirby's Smashes are great, just be careful around characters that have faster ones. (example: Wolf)
Maraphy covered most of it, but just be aware Kirby is a light character, and he does not fair well against hard hits and smashes.

R i p

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I wouldn't spam Final Cutter with friends. You'll just come off looking like an ***. Well, if your friends are okay with camp/projectile spam it'd be okay.

I think Stone is pretty useful(though, I'd call it risky). I don't know if all it's potential is talked about. Here are four ways I use it:

1) Kind of like a gimp "Counter" that Fire Emblem characters have. Rather than fall on people, use it when they least expect it or while they are stuck in a smash charge. It's best used if you can predict if and when an opponent is going to jump back onto the stage from a ledge. If you don't abuse stone(and you shouldn't), this can make for some crushing KOs on opponents which will make them think twice how they recover from ledges. Wouldn't use more than once in a match though... unless it's really easy to.

2) It's a good lure, though I don't imagine this is always work especially on more experienced players. When they see you in stone they'll think "Free grab!". You can get out of it fast enough and hit them with a fair or even hammer(so satisfying if you can pull this off). Again, probably not too viable.

3) If you need fall fast, use Stone and you'll drop pretty fast. You can simply cancel it while still in the air if you've gone far enough. It also serves as a desperate tool to get your jumps back, but very punishable.

4) Tiled platforms are your friends. Stages like Yoshi's Island and Delfino Plaza can make for great surprise attacks. You will slide down very quickly and be able to hurt people once in the air. The same goes with titled platforms that'll lead you off the stage, so don't get careless.

Some final notes would be: Don't be afraid to use this to hit people in the air off the stage. Kirby has a lot of jumps and as long as you don't kill yourself you can probably recover without issue. Also, it's start up time is still a bit slow so be careful when trying to counter an air assault with it.

Top Bottom