• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to Ike, need tips

NWRL

Smash Ace
I understand the general idea behind his QD cancel and what each move is supposed to do.

I'm not really understand how his hitboxes work or how to do some of the QD cancel things like grabbing or USmash.

I see him as like an aggressive punish character, with a good amount of aerial control

Commander

Smash Ace
I am assuming you are using default controls. To do the grab out of quick draw you just jump an then grab during the jump squat animation. The timing is similar to that of doing a tilt quickly. To do the up smash out of quick draw you have to use tap jump to cancel. With the tap jump cancel you can press A to do the smash attack or you can use the c stick. I would suggest using A just because it is easier. This is Metroid's video about quick draw just in case you haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NupLwn0Ty0c

Ike is a character with a lot of options. The list of things you can do out of quick draw is incredibly long and it is impossible for your opponent to prepare themselves for all of them and all of his aerial attacks either make for great combo finishers or combo starters. I tend to play him like a bigger Marth with different combos but you should experiment as much as you can and find the style that works best for you.

I forgot to mention Ike's hit boxes. Ike' sword is weakest at the tip and strongest at the hilt. It gets gradually stronger the closer to the hilt you are and there are weak hit boxes on Ike's arms if you go to far. Unlike Marth and Roy, Ike's spacing doesn't actually matter that much and you should just keep the hilt sweet spot in mind instead of going for it. The tip and the center are both great for comboing opponents and the center of the blade kills just as often as the hilt does. The way you want to think of it is to combo with the top half of Ragnell and kill with the bottom half when you are done, or at least that is how I think of it.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Okay, the hitbox info helps out quite a bit, thanks man.

That video was super informative as well

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
Ike is a character with a lot of options. The list of things you can do out of quick draw is incredibly long and it is impossible for your opponent to prepare themselves for all of them and all of his aerial attacks either make for great combo finishers or combo starters. I tend to play him like a bigger Marth with different combos but you should experiment as much as you can and find the style that works best for you.
If that was intentional, then I salute you. :ike:

Commander

Smash Ace
It was also pretty similar to something I said in the video thread :p Don't steal credit for my terrible Ikeisms, Commander.
I don't see how I could be copying you when the joke has been around since Brawl.

Commander

Smash Ace
Also what should I be doing in neutral with Ike
Getting close to your opponent to end neutral as fast as possible. You do not want to get pressured as Ike because you can't really do anything to get out of it. You would use aerials out of quick draw and quick draw tricks to approach. Nair is to Ike what Fair is to Marth. Keep in mind that you can Nair through most projectiles and Nair covers the entire area around Ike. You should check out the Ike combos thread because we are trying to find every set up and combo Ike has. It was recently found out that he has a down throw chain grab on mid-low weight characters from low-mid percents.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Getting close to your opponent to end neutral as fast as possible. You do not want to get pressured as Ike because you can't really do anything to get out of it. You would use aerials out of quick draw and quick draw tricks to approach. Nair is to Ike what Fair is to Marth. Keep in mind that you can Nair through most projectiles and Nair covers the entire area around Ike. You should check out the Ike combos thread because we are trying to find every set up and combo Ike has. It was recently found out that he has a down throw chain grab on mid-low weight characters from low-mid percents.
Once again thanks for help dude, I'll look in that thread as well. :)

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I don't think he should be looking for tips, instead he should get hilts.

Top Bottom