• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technology Discovered For Yoshi

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Hello fellow smashers/Yoshi fans. My name Is Tombocombo, and I have recently discovered a new secret technique that only Yoshi can do. I'm on the fence on whether it's a just a bug or if it was purposefully programmed into the game. But the technique is pivotal to Yoshi's kit and gives him an extra option.

The Technique in Question? I humbly call it: the Grab-Parry.
Basically, in the beginning frames of Yoshi's shield (the first 3 frames to be exact) give Yoshi the ability to ignore grabs. Yes, you heard me right, IGNORE GRABS. The timing is tricky, and you need to have a very good read/punish game, but if you time it within those 3 frames, you will ignore any and all grabs (some tether grabs have more active frames than the parry, depending on where Yoshi is in the hitbox, so he can still be grabbed in those situations).

I have captured footage of the tech, along with other fun things about Yoshi in a combo video I have recently uploaded.
Please Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVcSy-OoBMA&feature=youtu.be

To the PMBR:
Do NOT nerf this PLEASE. It only gives Yoshi a new option, It is NOT game breaking, just another thing that makes Yoshi more Viable.

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
Wow, this is so cool! I hope that the PMBR meant to do this, I'd love to see what people like aMSa could do with this in Project M.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Wow, this is so cool! I hope that the PMBR meant to do this, I'd love to see what people like aMSa could do with this in Project M.
I have been corrected, the grab parry was part of yoshi's egg parry in melee. I would say it's definitely intentional, even unfinished (which means it'll get a buff lol)

Silic0n

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silic0n
I have been corrected, the grab parry was part of yoshi's egg parry in melee. I would say it's definitely intentional, even unfinished (which means it'll get a buff lol)
Nice, I would have hated to see something like this get removed if it was a glitch.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Nice, I would have hated to see something like this get removed if it was a glitch.
ditto. my smash game revolves around reads and punishment, so this parry helps me stuff approaches and avoid getting punished for making an error

The Eggs

Smash Rookie
So just to clarify, this is NOT new technology, right? This is just the parry, which was in Yoshi's arsenal in Smash64 and Melee.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Not in 64, but in Melee. As far as I have heard, in Melee, if a grab is parryed it's canceled, where in PM they go through the full grab animation anyways. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there) But I've trained hard in PM so now I can parry every grab I see coming. It's very important to my play-style.

Top Bottom