• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Roy, introduction, some advice, and some curiosity.

Intro:
Hey guys. I'm new to competitive play as a :roypm: main. I want to focus on improving as fast as possible and playing as many people as I can with :roypm:. I'm still a scrub who spends many hours studying and watching smash. I plan to go to events whenever I can, with a good grasp on technical skill, and I do well against most people I've played so far. I've lurked this board and the :roymelee: board plenty, never really commenting or making threads ever.

History: Not fully relevant to the post besides 2013 and some of 2011. Just some fun info on what got me into smash and how much it changed when it became competitive for me.

Present: The meat of this post.

What I need to work on: It's what I need to work on.

Future: Tournament plans and online with Smash 4.

HISTORY:

1999: Little me, picking up SSB64 as one of my first video games. Played :pikachu64: due to my Pokemon obsession at the time.

2001: Little me, picking up Melee when the Gamecube first came out. Played :pikachumelee: for a long time, switching instantly to :mewtwomelee: after the unlock because :mewtwomelee: was a lot cooler to me. I thought :mewtwomelee: was more powerful due to being a legendary, and sometimes played :pichumelee: just because of the goggles.

2008: Teenage me, picked up Brawl. I would rent the game whenever I could. I started with :ike: just because I thought he was cool and then actually picked up FE in 2010.

2011: Teenage me, got really into Melee with a few people. I played :marthmelee: and sometimes :roymelee: due to FE becoming my favorite series the year before. Friends played :falcomelee:, :falconmelee:, and :linkmelee:. They didn't really know advanced techniques, but that was the year I picked up stuff like l-cancels, dash dancing, wavedashing, wavelands, pivots, etc. Melee became a whole new world to me after that.

2012: Paths split with friends who played Melee, and I picked up my own copy of Brawl, spending many hours playing many people online. I started with :marth: due to prior Melee experience, :ike: because of prior Brawl experience, and stuck with both because of Fire Emblem. I was really good with who I played, but truly only played other casual players.

2013: Project M 3.0 came out. I played Project M before that, but only because some friends wanted to play it online. Now I truly like it because of the diverse cast and being able to use a more viable :roypm: in this new setting. This was also the year I finished all thirteen FE games, and I already finished the Hasha no Tsurugi manga and what was out for the Fire Emblem OVA the year before.

Present:

I've been getting back into the competitive world. The server shutdown for Wii has really bummed me out, so that's when I finally made a true effort to find locals.

I made a local Melee tourney and only three people showed up because Smash is nowhere near my area while it's next to the rest of Colorado a few hours away. At least the showing party was all locals. Two are now buddies who spar and travel with me. We play Project M together. One uses :jigglypuff: and the other uses :toonlink::marth:. The :jigglypuffmelee: player is somewhat of a veteran, I crushed in our little four person tournament with :roymelee: and had a nice confidence boost from it, especially with a low tier. But I already knew being good with buddies didn't make me good to the world.

I traveled to my first real tournament recently, Twin Titans Challenge, and placed 9th out of 25 in singles (sooooo close to at least 5th, was off by just 1 stock on the third game, then got knocked out by a good :zelda: in loser's right after) and 5th out of 7th in doubles. I feel like my main problem was that I tried using too many characters instead of sticking to our boy. I used :falcon:, :fox:, :lucario:, :marth:, :sheik:, and :roypm: throughout my time there, testing the waters on matches, or feeling like I had to pick :fox: and :falcon: in doubles just because I read about how good they are in it. Truth is, I feel like I would have better if I could have kept my head on straight and stuck to :roypm:, and would feel more like myself, because while I enjoy playing many characters, I keep reading up on how people improve the fastest when sticking to one character in any smash, and I play Project M to represent our boy and did a poor job of that. So I'm fixing this in the future. While I feel like admitting that info is johnning, I also feel like it's needed to have and recite a clear goal from a mistake to improve.

What I need to work on:
Some of the players absolutely crushed me in friendlies and I never got to face them in tournament. One was a :ganondorf:, another was a :dk2::ike:. When asking for advice, the :ganondorf: answered and told me that I was too predictable. He would wait for me to make a mistake and act on it. He told me it seemed like I was on autopilot, so I read more into that and I found some anti-autopilot strategies that are working great so far. I'm surprised more players didn't do this to me, and that I managed to either be about even with or destroy everyone else I played. He also told me to simply play as many people as I could and experience with different players would shape most of it for me. The other thing I'll do is discipline myself to stick to one character per game.

All I think I need to do is just play more people. My schedule doesn't have me free for tournaments until November, but I'll be able to play as much Project M as I can, and Melee or Smash 4 whenever those are at a Project M event.

Future:

Smash 3DS and Wii U have me hyped. I may just stick to :4marth:'s new gold and :roymelee: colors. I'll finally be able to play friends online again, which means I'll be able to shut up and play much more, it's really nice. I'll also be on the lookout for Project M events. I'm not sure if I should go to events for Melee and 4 if they don't have Project M. Only time can tell. It all comes down to trying not to spend too much money on gas and trying not to get too many shifts traded or covered.

Anyways, if you guys have any specific tips that really helped you improve, or if you'd like to share your stories from starting out to where you are now, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
if you can try posting a video of some sets you play; it'll be easier for people to give you tips based off your gameplay

I should be able to play more than just casual sets with buddies this Friday. If people are up for Melee and PM, I'll see if they have anything to get sets up. I'm worried about them being too occupied with Smash 3DS, but I'll still play that with them and get sets of that up if any of the capture board players are there.

Got a trip Friday and Saturday where I'll play lots of people and go to the Gamestop deal, I'll get as much out of it as I can.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Not to be rude, but you didn't need to provide a full history of your Smash records. But nice to know, nonetheless.
-
Anyway, you should post a video of your playing against another player, if you have the equipment (Or if they do). It'll help us more.
-
Hell, I haven't posted a video so people here have a hard time helping my Roy, but in my opinion it needs a lot of work. Which is an example of why you should try to record a match or two, be aware I would not recommend using the "Replay" feature from Brawl (As it is still in Project M). It's there, but it doesn't really work.

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, people come here and ask for tips with Roy, but in my experience going from a random scrub to Top 10 PR for LA (weaker region compared to Texas, mind you, and my spot is probably debatable for now)

The most important thing to learn with Roy is... basically everything fundamental about proper smash play. I don't even recommend viewing Sethlon games at first as a lot of people do, because frankly you won't even know what you're looking for or why he's doing the options he's doing.

You need to understand a few things:

1. You are combo food
2. Every top Melee player in your region will punish you like crazy
3. Your recovery is on the weaker side, and with proper ledge usage ANYONE can gimp you at any time.
4. The most important thing in learning Roy is simply learning Smash. Proper use of wavedashing/landing, L cancelling, dash dancing, spacing, pivot side-b (easy), pivot f-smash (not easy), ledge tech, JC grabs, and most importantly DI.

I simply cannot stress how important DI is. Roy's recovery is so easily punishable by good players that you have to insure that every angle possible in your recovery is in your favor. Learn to Smash DI, learn to get out of combos, etc.

You HAVE to have an EXCELLENT movement game. It's not an option. Practice every movement tech imaginable until you're proficient. Stay grounded. If you go to the air it's generally for baiting or responding to a bait.

Bread and Butter combos:
CC-Dtilt is frankly kinda dumb. Crouch Cancelling in this game is horrendously overtuned, so you should probably abuse it as much as possible.
Dtilt>fair>grab
Dtilt>fair>dtilt>fair>fair>fair>Fsmash (requires improper DI on the opponents part, but it's still important to know how to punish in this manner)
Fthrow>fthrow>techchase dtilt, ftilt, or dash attack (Very important combo, can start at 0% and followup depends on character and DI)

Notes:
-Don't throw out random hitboxes quickly just because you can. Practice "smart aggression", staying in the opponent's space without actually fully committing until you know you have them for sure.
-Side B is great, learn to pivot it and get the timing down.
-Practice sweet spotting the ledge with your Up B. Against the best players you have two options: Sweet spot or land on the stage. (Or use it early to call their bluff)

Last edited:
It's funny, people come here and ask for tips with Roy, but in my experience going from a random scrub to Top 10 PR for LA (weaker region compared to Texas, mind you, and my spot is probably debatable for now)

The most important thing to learn with Roy is... basically everything fundamental about proper smash play. I don't even recommend viewing Sethlon games at first as a lot of people do, because frankly you won't even know what you're looking for or why he's doing the options he's doing.

You need to understand a few things:

1. You are combo food
2. Every top Melee player in your region will punish you like crazy
3. Your recovery is on the weaker side, and with proper ledge usage ANYONE can gimp you at any time.
4. The most important thing in learning Roy is simply learning Smash. Proper use of wavedashing/landing, L cancelling, dash dancing, spacing, pivot side-b (easy), pivot f-smash (not easy), ledge tech, JC grabs, and most importantly DI.

I simply cannot stress how important DI is. Roy's recovery is so easily punishable by good players that you have to insure that every angle possible in your recovery is in your favor. Learn to Smash DI, learn to get out of combos, etc.

You HAVE to have an EXCELLENT movement game. It's not an option. Practice every movement tech imaginable until you're proficient. Stay grounded. If you go to the air it's generally for baiting or responding to a bait.

Bread and Butter combos:
CC-Dtilt is frankly kinda dumb. Crouch Cancelling in this game is horrendously overtuned, so you should probably abuse it as much as possible.
Dtilt>fair>grab
Dtilt>fair>dtilt>fair>fair>fair>Fsmash (requires improper DI on the opponents part, but it's still important to know how to punish in this manner)
Fthrow>fthrow>techchase dtilt, ftilt, or dash attack (Very important combo, can start at 0% and followup depends on character and DI)

Notes:
-Don't throw out random hitboxes quickly just because you can. Practice "smart aggression", staying in the opponent's space without actually fully committing until you know you have them for sure.
-Side B is great, learn to pivot it and get the timing down.
-Practice sweet spotting the ledge with your Up B. Against the best players you have two options: Sweet spot or land on the stage. (Or use it early to call their bluff)
I made the mistake of watching Roy players at first even though I didn't fully understand what they did at first. I feel like I've mastered fundamentals, at least the mechanical ones like L-cancels and movement, but I always hop on whatever I can learn next. I even have pivot smashes and JC grabs down.

I feel the pain of 1-4 whenever I play someone better than me. My DI is on-point but my Smash DI is another story.

My movement is clumsy no matter how many L-cancels, dashes, or wavedashes/lands I do in a row when it comes to actual games. Any advice from those who have ever had this problem?

I'll be sure to abuse his combos more, one of my weaknesses is not being the best at combos.

I have the flaw of throwing out random hitboxes, I'll practice smart aggression when I play PM with my buddies Wednesday. I'll also get right to practicing ledge sweetspotting more, I get gimped sometimes because I don't get it. I love flame smacking anyone too eager, works at least once or twice no matter who I play.

Not to be rude, but you didn't need to provide a full history of your Smash records. But nice to know, nonetheless.
-
Anyway, you should post a video of your playing against another player, if you have the equipment (Or if they do). It'll help us more.
-
Hell, I haven't posted a video so people here have a hard time helping my Roy, but in my opinion it needs a lot of work. Which is an example of why you should try to record a match or two, be aware I would not recommend using the "Replay" feature from Brawl (As it is still in Project M). It's there, but it doesn't really work.
No worries, I didn't find it rude. I couldn't get footage, unfortunately. This Wednesday I should be able to get footage with a puff player. I can record via XSplit and capture equipment.

Eliwood for the win. He's the reason why I play Roy. Ninian too.

Last edited:
since i haven't actually played project m ill ask how different is roy from marth this time
Roy was improved in general.

He has better hitstun and you don't get near as punished for landing a sourspotted hit.

Flare Blade is a good kill move uncharged and is now similar to a smash attack in the air.

New back air that's a quick swipe and kill move when sweetspotted near Roy's armpit, new tilts besides his down, new down smash, his Double-Edged Dance is now better in general with entirely new attacks including a "turnaround" fourth hit by holding backwards, and his movement is excellent in Project M.

He's still not as good as Marth here, but he is very potent and a lot better than he was in Melee. He has more strengths over Marth and is not to be underestimated.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Roy was improved in general.

He has better hitstun and you don't get near as punished for landing a sourspotted hit.

Flare Blade is a good kill move uncharged and is now similar to a smash attack in the air.

New back air that's a quick swipe and kill move when sweetspotted near Roy's armpit, new tilts besides his down, new down smash, his Double-Edged Dance is now better in general with entirely new attacks including a "turnaround" fourth hit by holding backwards, and his movement is excellent in Project M.

He's still not as good as Marth here, but he is very potent and a lot better than he was in Melee. He has more strengths over Marth and is not to be underestimated.
i see now if only sakurai could apply these changes to him in the next smash game

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Yeah, I should've added a lot of stuff TFerg said. Watch some Sethlon Roy matches, there's a lot of things he does you should try to follow. Just as an example his stage mobility with Roy [mostly because of technical prowess, and I think he designed Roy] is absolutely astonishing. It's the kind of movement that makes you afraid to try to face his Roy because it's so dauntingly fast when he gets fancy.
No worries, I didn't find it rude. I couldn't get footage, unfortunately. This Wednesday I should be able to get footage with a puff player. I can record via XSplit and capture equipment.

Eliwood for the win. He's the reason why I play Roy. Ninian too.
Let me know, my recording setup apparently won't work so hot anymore (Was a Hauppauge).

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
I made the mistake of watching Roy players at first even though I didn't fully understand what they did at first. I feel like I've mastered fundamentals, at least the mechanical ones like L-cancels and movement, but I always hop on whatever I can learn next. I even have pivot smashes and JC grabs down.

I feel the pain of 1-4 whenever I play someone better than me. My DI is on-point but my Smash DI is another story.

My movement is clumsy no matter how many L-cancels, dashes, or wavedashes/lands I do in a row when it comes to actual games. Any advice from those who have ever had this problem?

I'll be sure to abuse his combos more, one of my weaknesses is not being the best at combos.

I have the flaw of throwing out random hitboxes, I'll practice smart aggression when I play PM with my buddies Wednesday. I'll also get right to practicing ledge sweetspotting more, I get gimped sometimes because I don't get it. I love flame smacking anyone too eager, works at least once or twice no matter who I play.
Literally the only way to improve this is to get some hours practiced in the lab.
If you're serious about it, then every day:

3-5 minutes wavedashing/wavelanding on battlefield
3-5 minutes dashdancing on FD
3-5 minutes combos on fd/bf
3-5 minutes something random (like sweetspotting your up b, or practicing your side b timings or pivot f-smashes)
3-10 minutes research (like watching high level roy or researching matchups)
However long ---practicing against real players. If you don't have a local scene then netplay is ok.

Top Bottom