• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New R.O.B Tech?

iggyboy456

Smash Rookie
I've been toying around in training mode for the last few days, forgive me if this is already known.

R.O.B can do some weird stuff with his gyro in conjunction with footstools to create some very damaging, very quick combos.

R.O.B's Gyro has some interesting properties. When hit by a gyro, the direction the opponent goes is determined by the direction R.O.B is facing when he throws the gyro. Using this fact allows for some interesting applications if an opponent is hit by a gyro that knocks the opponent towards R.O.B. When a gyro hits an oppenent and R.O.B immediately footstools the opponent, it counts as an airborne footstool, which causes an untechable knockdown. Because R.O.B's gyro bouces straight up after hitting an opponent, R.O.B can actually catch the gyro midair after he throws it before footstooling the opponent.

So, to recap, get right next to an opponent and face away(this is important) from them with a gyro in hand. Short hop and throw the gyro down. The next part can be done in a few different ways. When the gyro hits the opponent, footstool the opponent. You can catch the gyro before this step by pressing a grab button in midair, and then do the footstool. Alternatively, you can opt to not catch the Gyro, and instead after the footstool preform a down air. The down air will catch the gyro, as well as hit the opponent, due to the fact that they are currently being footstooled.

I think variations of this have a lot of potentential for some massively damaging combos. I think it could be potentially infinite if someone could find a way to land quickly after the footstool and dtilt to reset the opponent and set them up for another repetition, but I haven't found a way to halt R.O.Bs aerial momentum aside from down air, but that will make the opponent airborne. It could serve as a good way of ending the combo though.

Sorry if my descriptions weren't clear enough. I will try to get a video up to demonstrate this better as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Not sure if you gained the knowledge of the gyro tossing property (the direction facing influences the direction the opponent hit by the gyro travels) here, or if you discovered it on your own (took about 3.5 yrs before Brawl ROBs noticed it). Nevertheless, these are the tools we need to be playing with. I'm happy to see a new face trying things out with it. Keep at it. If you find anything of relevance about it, post videos, let us know. I in turn will do the same. Best of luck with it.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Although this was discovered during Brawl metagame development it is good to repost the info. I'm rather certain I have something about this posted somewhere in my mess of discoveries/writings, but the way to get down to the opponent and F-tilt lock would be a fast-fall + B-air... however the B-air has been nerfed from Brawl and the D-tilt lock is limited to 3 hits now. Chances are the D-air out of footstool is the best we'll get unless another tech is discovered.
Surprisingly the Gyro drops are familiar from Brawl so when I do mess around with R.O.B. I find myself doing these instead of flubbed should-be glide-tosses.
One bit of advice or maybe a question: I use Z-air drops instead of D-tossing, it used to flow into a F-air better and you could 'Wave-gyro' across the stage similar to a 'wave-shine' done by Fox in Melee. Not sure if it works well enough in this version though. So the question I have is which is better in this version (I suppose better would be relative to what it is we would be following up with now).

I kind of feel like going through my old guide and notes and compiling all verifications on what is still usable and what is not, but I don't really have access to my files anymore since I threw everything out. ([- -]

Last edited:
Top Bottom