• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS New player in need of advice

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
Alright, I have been playing since melee, so not entirely a new player, but I only started playing seriously and competitively since Smash 3ds. I started learning characters I enjoyed, but never played online until about a 2 weeks ago. Now I understand that as a new player, I am going to get my a mudhole stomped into me.

Unfortunately I have replays, but have no clue how to upload them to youtube to get them posted here to help. For the most part all of them were my losses. My 3 main characters I like to focus on are Ike, Ryu, and now Cloud. I have been playing 1 on 1 in For glory, and my win percentage is 20%. It actually went up from 11% yesterday because I one a few matches in a row. My Total KOs are 113, and my total falls are 235. My average fall per battle is 1.74. I am trying to use Cloud as my main, so any advice for him would be great. I try and charge the Limit Break meter when ever I can. In situations when the enemy is in process of being knocked out of the arena, or are respawning is when I try the most. I don't use Finishing Touch because for the most part I couldn't hit with it, so I use Cross Slash and Climhazzard the most with the Limit Break meter full. I started copying what some of the players that were beating me were doing like hitting someone back up as they were falling down, or trying to hit them as they are trying to recover.

My biggest problems are blocking, dodging, reading enemy movements, and aiming attacks correctly. I have a hard time with the faster characters like Greninja and Sheik the most because it's hard to dodge or block their abilities in time. Another one of my problems is that I try and stay with one person even if they win repeatedly in hopes of learning their strategy and reacting to it, but after the 3rd match they just start trying to toy with me and stop taking the match seriously.

Are there any tips anyone has for a new player in For Glory? Any tips for using Cloud or Ike?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
First off: Welcome! I see this is your first post, here. Perhaps you should introduce yourself to everyone over here.
Second: I think it would be nice adding your FC to this site (like, for example, I have here, just look under my avatar), so this way you can challenge us if you need to. If you play against us, we can probably give you input on what you should do to improve better.
Third: What do you know so far? Do you know how to tech? How to DI and do Vectoring? Do you know combo setups for the characters you main? The theory of how you do them is useful to know, but what's even more useful is practicing them, both on some sort of test dummy (like the one in Training Mode) and against real people (peferably not the ones in For Glory. That place is full of nasty people, lag of all sorts, both input and connection lag, and pretty bad players)

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
First off: Welcome! I see this is your first post, here. Perhaps you should introduce yourself to everyone over here.
Second: I think it would be nice adding your FC to this site (like, for example, I have here, just look under my avatar), so this way you can challenge us if you need to. If you play against us, we can probably give you input on what you should do to improve better.
Third: What do you know so far? Do you know how to tech? How to DI and do Vectoring? Do you know combo setups for the characters you main? The theory of how you do them is useful to know, but what's even more useful is practicing them, both on some sort of test dummy (like the one in Training Mode) and against real people (peferably not the ones in For Glory. That place is full of nasty people, lag of all sorts, both input and connection lag, and pretty bad players)
Thanks. I actually don't even know what tech, DIm and vectoring are, lol. Like I said I am really new to the competitive side of Smash, only playing casually for years. I can put my friend code up too, I just don''t know where to look for it. Only had my 3ds for about a year now, and am still learning things about it. Thanks for the help. Didn't know that about For Glory though. Kind of found out about the nasty people the hard way. Any advice of where to go for more enjoyable competitive matches?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I actually don't even know what tech, DIm and vectoring are, lol.
Well, here's a rough explanation of what those things are.
Teching: This has been in the series ever since the original N64 games. Basically, whenever you get hit and tumble in the air, you are going to land on surfaces such as the floor or walls very roughly, which at low percentages makes your character lay on the ground, but at higher percentages it makes you bounce off of them, which can get you into bad situations and even outright kill you. Teching is a way to prevent those two things from happening. If you press the shield button 20 frames (one third of a second, 333.3 miliseconds) before landing on a surface, you'll perform a tech, and your character gets up on their feet instantly without falling on their back or bouncing. You can tech in place, tech roll right or tech roll left. This video explains it well:
What is this good for, after all? It prevents you from getting stage-spiked, or comboedafter you land from a tumble.

Now for DI and Vectoring... an easy way of saying it, is that they're two different things that are applied on similar circumstances to get similar results: more survivability.
Watch this, pay attention, it might be useful:

I can put my friend code up too, I just don''t know where to look for it.
To see your own FC, go to your 3DS' Home Menu (where you can select all of your games, software and etc), tap on the smiling square-faced icon at the top of the lower screen (besides the yellow pencil and the blue speech bubble) and it should be there somewhere. That icon takes you to your Friend's List. Whenever you want to add someone's FC, you go there. To display it under your avatar on this site, highlight your user name that's besides the mail icon, and click "Personal Details". Scroll over to the label that says "3DS FC" and write your FC on the form besides it. That's all you need to do.

Any advice of where to go for more enjoyable competitive matches?
Smashladder, here.
Just beware people are miles better there than they are on For Glory, but they're also far less toxic.

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
Well, here's a rough explanation of what those things are.
Teching: This has been in the series ever since the original N64 games. Basically, whenever you get hit and tumble in the air, you are going to land on surfaces such as the floor or walls very roughly, which at low percentages makes your character lay on the ground, but at higher percentages it makes you bounce off of them, which can get you into bad situations and even outright kill you. Teching is a way to prevent those two things from happening. If you press the shield button 20 frames (one third of a second, 333.3 miliseconds) before landing on a surface, you'll perform a tech, and your character gets up on their feet instantly without falling on their back or bouncing. You can tech in place, tech roll right or tech roll left. This video explains it well:
What is this good for, after all? It prevents you from getting stage-spiked, or comboedafter you land from a tumble.

Now for DI and Vectoring... an easy way of saying it, is that they're two different things that are applied on similar circumstances to get similar results: more survivability.
Watch this, pay attention, it might be useful:

To see your own FC, go to your 3DS' Home Menu (where you can select all of your games, software and etc), tap on the smiling square-faced icon at the top of the lower screen (besides the yellow pencil and the blue speech bubble) and it should be there somewhere. That icon takes you to your Friend's List. Whenever you want to add someone's FC, you go there. To display it under your avatar on this site, highlight your user name that's besides the mail icon, and click "Personal Details". Scroll over to the label that says "3DS FC" and write your FC on the form besides it. That's all you need to do.

Smashladder, here.
Just beware people are miles better there than they are on For Glory, but they're also far less toxic.
Thanks again. I will watch those vids. Are there any you tubers or forum guides you suggest I take a look at for further help? FC by the way is 2036-9433-8306

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Thanks again. I will watch those vids. Are there any you tubers or forum guides you suggest I take a look at for further help? FC by the way is 2036-9433-8306
You can read a lot of stuff about all of the characters in this section of the forum. Cloud hasn't got that many guides out there because he's just been released and people are still figuring out stuff about him. Keep an eye out.
For Youtubers, you can watch competitive matches in channels like VGBootCamp, CLASH and Tourney Locator and learn see how the top players use the characters. For guides, I don't have any favourite youtubers for them, so just search for "[insert character here] guide" on youtube and see what you can learn. Don't watch just one guide, watch several, and practice everything you learn if you wanna git gud.
Right now, my 3DS is denouncing your FC as non-existant, check it again to see if you wrote it correctly.
My FC is over at the left. If you want to fight me, you can add me as well, and tell me when you wanna battle. We can talk through private messages, Skype, whatever.

Last edited:

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
You can read a lot of stuff about all of the characters in this section of the forum. Cloud hasn't got that many guides out there because he's just been released and people are still figuring out stuff about him. Keep an eye out.
For Youtubers, you can watch competitive matches in channels like VGBootCamp, CLASH and Tourney Locator and learn see how the top players use the characters. For guides, I don't have any favourite youtubers for them, so just search for "[insert character here] guide" on youtube and see what you can learn. Don't watch just one guide, watch several, and practice everything you learn if you wanna git gud.
Right now, my 3DS is denouncing your FC as non-existant, check it again to see if you wrote it correctly.
My FC is over at the left. If you want to fight me, you can add me as well, and tell me when you wanna battle. We can talk through private messages, Skype, whatever.
FC is actually 2036-9433-8806. Had a typo on the other post. Thanks again, really appreciate it

Tolvir

Smash Rookie
Alright I added you, might try later, going to a movie here in a bit

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Welcome to Smashboards!

If you want to discuss about a specific character in a community with other Smash players, Discord is a good place. There are groups for most of the characters and it's very easy to ask questions or find someone to play with.

I personally love watching SmashTubers such as ZeRo, Jtails, AceStar, and MySmashCorner. Some of them have "guide" or "character analysis" videos, which are essentially videos that gives information about a certain character. Others simply upload replays, often with commentary, and you can learn by seeing how they play and possibly mimic their techniques.

Top Bottom