• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Player. I need advice.

Quackattack

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone. My names Quackattack.

This is my first post on these forums so heres a little introduction about my experience with Smash. If you don't care skip this paragraph:
About a month or so ago a friend of mine reintroduced me to Project M. I had played it in the past and was only mildly interested. I had the same mind set from when I played in the Melee days. I thought of Melee of Project M as more of a casual game and preferred other 2D fighters (Marvel, SF, Guilty Gear, etc.). However, this time around was different. This time around the friend showing me the game knew how to play. My friend used to be a big time Melee player, playing against the likes of Isai back in the day. He proceeded to show me a few advanced techniques (Shuffling, Wavedashing, L-canceling, DI, etc.) and from that point I was hooked on this game. This opened up the world of depth that these games had, for me. Smash is now my favorite fighting game. The only problem I have now is that I don't actually own a gamecube or wii. >.<

Being a new player I decided to start getting into Project M as I noticed it becoming more popular as of late and I preferred the system to Melee. Out of the characters I was interested when I started, my friend thought I should play Mewtwo. So I started picking up Mewtwo. But as I played more and more I noticed that I've been having a ton of fun playing Charizard. So I need some advice. I do enjoy playing both characters but which of the two characters would you say has tougher matchups? Even if Charizard has slightly tougher matchups I think I may roll with him just because I think I enjoy playing him a bit more. Which character do you guys think I should main?

tl;dr
Having trouble deciding who to main. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Charizard and Mewtwo? Who has tougher matchups? Which do you think I should main?

Y-L

Smash Champion
First of all, welcome to Smashboards!

Regarding your situation, I suggest you head over to the Character Discussion subforum and check out the Mewtwo and Charizard threads. You can find a lot of useful information on both characters and look at their matchup discussions.

In my personal opinion, I think Mewtwo would be the better choice due to his unpredictable recovery, speed and range on his tail, and projectile game. However Charizard does have some great options with his act-out-of-down b game, stupendously strong and far ranged side b, fast aerial moves for juggling, and a stage controlling nair.

In the end, it is all up to your personal preference. Don't let other people dictate who you want to play, play whoever you enjoy the most. It is a lot easier to get better at the game with someone you enjoy playing and it will keep you motivated to keep playing.

Last edited:

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I think you should watch videos of each character, just to get a feel of their potential. I picked up Lucas recently because I was thoroughly impressed with Pink Fresh's playstyle. Again, it's all up to personal preference

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Lucario is a magic series fighter after all. Would be a easier transition.
But your best bet is to get a feel for both characters. Then decide on the character you like playing the most, or one that favors your ideal play style.

Top Bottom