• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Pikachu Tech: "Quick Attack Planking"

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
I've recently learned through this video by Izaw and this thread by saviorslegacy that :4sheik: can plank with her Vanish. I began to mess around with it in training mode, and found it to be quite useful. After a while, I wondered if anyone else in this lovely cast of characters could perform this technique. It turns out that :4pikachu: can perform a similar action with his insanely good Up B, Quick Attack.

Inputs:
Grab Ledge>Press :GCD: to fall underneath the ledge> Jump up so that Pikachu's head peeks above the ledge>
Use Quick Attack in these directions:
Left Ledge::GCUR: then :GCDL: .
Right Ledge::GCUL: then :GCDR:.
After your second QA, release the control stick (neutral position, :GCN:).

This technique is unbelievably hard to pull off consistently. If done correctly, Pikachu will re-grab the ledge with invincibility. If done incorrectly, Pikachu will either land on the stage, perform a Quick Attack cancel, or fall off of the edge to his death (which isn't very fun to watch).

The good part is, when done correctly, it happens super fast.
The bad part is that I have found not a SINGLE practical use for this tech. This tech has very, very little offensive presence, unlike Sheik's plank, which has a HUGE, POWERFUL hitbox (not to mention it's easier to perform). It perhaps could be used defensively: say Samus shoots a full charge shot at you on the ledge... you can QAP to regain your invincibility and avoid getting stage-spiked. The downside is, you can avoid this more efficiently by simply getting back up onto the stage.

I don't recommend you attempt to learn QAP as I have, because I have never used it in a competitive fight, and I don't think I ever will.

As of right now, QAP appears to be more of a novelty than an actual useful tech, but if you can find a good, helpful use for it, please, prove me wrong in a reply.

Last edited:

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
It's kinda interesting... It could be used for some mind games I think. You could perform de ledge drop then jump into the stage, wich naturally would make your oponent react, and then o return to the edge. I think you should be safe unless your oponent is fast in punishing your jump. Otherwise, you should be able to return safetly to the edge and make your oponent commit to an action, wich could lead to a safe recover...

Not sure bout it thou. I need to test this, but something that could be useful is to use this in SmashVille. You should be able to get some time for the plataform to come to you, and then use it to recover.

Sorry for the poor english =( Gonna try this when I have time

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda interesting... It could be used for some mind games I think. You could perform de ledge drop then jump into the stage, wich naturally would make your oponent react, and then o return to the edge. I think you should be safe unless your oponent is fast in punishing your jump. Otherwise, you should be able to return safetly to the edge and make your oponent commit to an action, wich could lead to a safe recover...

Not sure bout it thou. I need to test this, but something that could be useful is to use this in SmashVille. You should be able to get some time for the plataform to come to you, and then use it to recover.

Sorry for the poor english =( Gonna try this when I have time
A quick warning for when you try this... It's SUPER hard.
Edit: Engrish

Last edited:

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
I tested this out, and while its cool and all, I think it might have a bit of practical use. Maybe get a reaction out of your opponent? Bait them to do something? Maybe if perfected it could lead to really good mix-ups from the ledge, such as sometimes going back to the ledge and sometimes using your second QA to get on to the stage? I dunno seems like I'm reaching here. It seems to have very little practical use, dunno if its worth learning but I guess its pretty cool.

DeathlyFerret

Smash Apprentice
I tested this out, and while its cool and all, I think it might have a bit of practical use. Maybe get a reaction out of your opponent? Bait them to do something? Maybe if perfected it could lead to really good mix-ups from the ledge, such as sometimes going back to the ledge and sometimes using your second QA to get on to the stage? I dunno seems like I'm reaching here. It seems to have very little practical use, dunno if its worth learning but I guess its pretty cool.
The general idea you people seem to come up with is baits and mixups, which are great ideas. The tech just seems a little too risky for me. But if you can actually manage to master this, (as in doing this consistently without whiffing or dying) you just opened up one more pretty good option for yourself on the ledge. I did, however, take the time to master Sheik's plank, as it doubles as a punish and is safer & easier to perform.
If you secondary Sheik, it could actually be worth your time.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B

Last edited:
Top Bottom