• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New pikachi main

browndunce

Smash Rookie
NNID
leafcruiser3280
I just switched to Pikachu after being a Falco main for some time. I decided to switch to Pikachu because Falco had too high of a learning curve for me, and also everyone in tournaments used him, so I wanted to be a little unique. Any advice for a new Pikachu main on what to first work on and what to expect?

soju

SD God
Asides from terrible life decisions, switching from Birdco to Rat can be an enjoyable experience, that is after you learn to do the following; enjoy not winning tournaments for a good portion of your melee career, not having a shine, having to learn various different tech just to play like a halfway decent character, not having a shine, having to deal with depression due to many many failure, not having a shine, and playing a pokeman. Also not having a shine.

But if you can do the above, join us on our fb page and we shall assist you as often as you ask questions.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/380670908779850/

Also work on your neutral above all, sure you have silly things like chaingrabs and gimps but the core of that is neutral.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
^ You forgot: need 2x more efforts for the same result compared to most other characters.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
None of that pikachu johning is actually true. I switched from falco to pikachu and started getting WAY better results. Axe says he plays falco way more than pikachu but his pikachu is still significantly better. If you were to play every character for 15 hours in your life, any character in the top 10 could be your best, it just depends on what character fits you.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
The biggest reason that people using mid tiers don't succeed is because they just complain about their character rather than try and get better themselves.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
but talking smack about pikachu is the only thing im good at ;)
Damn straight.

The biggest reason that people using mid tiers don't succeed is because they just complain about their character rather than try and get better themselves.
Sadly, that's the case for a huge majority of Pikachu players. :/

As for the post, I'd highly recommend yourself to seriously consider and solidify your decision. Pikachu may not have all the incredibly hard tech that Falco has, but Pikachu needs heavy amounts of raw mindgame, neutral game, techchasing, and some pretty annoying tech like quick-attack edge-grabs. You'll need to get this practically perfect. Perfect to the point where you know you won't hesitate to use it during tournament play, even if you are up or down by a stock or two.

Good luck with the decision. If you decide to continue, it'll be a tough road. You've got a lot of good resources for how to play Pikachu. Feel free to ask people for advice/resources like @N64 or soju soju .

Hopefully, you could see my post. :drsad:

Last edited:

Spasmodic

Smash Rookie
Pika has **** range, but if he can get in, he can combo and edgeguard like nobodies busyness. You just have to wait for an opening. The first thing should should do is to practice moving around and recovering with quickattack.

Top Bottom