• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Optimized Uthrow Kill Confirm 50/50

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
So I've been labbing uthrow for a while, and had mixed results. Sometimes it worked well, sometimes it didn't at all, getting me punished hard. Now I FINALLY understand why uthrow works when it does.

IT ONLY WORKS WITH DI OUT.

If they DI In or no DI, then they go directly above Mario. Making SJP impossible to connect, and they retain the ability to drift in front or behind Mario. Making it difficult to pin them down. However, with DI out SJP covers airdodge/jump and most attacks due to SJP's insane priority and speed. If they airdodge, dair/fair/uair also easily kill this high up or over the ledge.

Why is this important if they can just DI IN and Mario can get nothing? Well, if they DI in Dthrow in then death is just to fair, uair, dair, sjp similarly. So it's a real mix-up.

In my experience, it works BEST when you're by the ledge and they know about Dthrow > Fair so they DI out.

Example of what I mean: https://gfycat.com/GraveWaterloggedArmednylonshrimp

Note how Marth DI'd downthrow out so I couldn't get ANYTHING. But then he DI'd Uthrow out, which made SJP kill even better (killed off side). Now, he could airdodge but then dair/fair could kill. Or uair at higher percent.

Also note: It's less effective vs quick or high jumpers such as Falco, Greninja, ZSS since they can more easily escape SJP with just their jump. As well as characters with moves that beat SJP, such as Cloud or Bowser Dair. So it has varying effectiveness, but does work in many matchups.

Feel free to ask any questions, but if you don't believe it's real I won't be trying to prove it to you.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
This is just odd....Nice find, but wouldn't it be better to just dthrow uair or just outright usmash?
This is for percents these no longer connect assuming they DI Out.

I wouldn't recommend doing this until after Dthrow > Bair/Uair connect regardless of DI.

There's also better landing traps since if they jump away, you have a lot more time to FLUDD them offstage.

I'd say the characters it works best vs are: Bayo, M2, Marth.

Worst vs: Cloud, Luigi, Bowser.

Last edited:
Top Bottom