• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Marth 40%+ Combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hello people! This is my first post so forgive me if I do something unusual. While I was testing around with Marth (I want to main him) I came across this awesome combo.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Not a true combo, but awesome nonetheless. This would never work on humans with good DI. It seems like a lot of what you did there could've been air dodged as well.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
While this isn't a true combo, it starts off like one.

Bowser tripped after the first strike. Marth can then "re-trip" three times, and then possibly position himself for a FSmash or Neutral-B Tipper by the end for a true combo.

The Trip -> Retrip mechanic has been used in real combos. You probably can go somewhere with that.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Moving to the Marth subforum.
i noticed these things happen far too often. if i were you mods i'd add some notice to new users, something like "make sure your threads belong to the right sub-forum"

or maybe add it whenever someone's creating a thread

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
A Ken combo is fair to dair.

Anything before that is just to decorate the cake.

That was just an aesthetically-pleasing, but escapable, Ken combo.

Nice job for pulling it off, but the finishing part wouldn't work.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
A Ken combo is fair to dair.

Anything before that is just to decorate the cake.

That was just an aesthetically-pleasing, but escapable, Ken combo.

Nice job for pulling it off, but the finishing part wouldn't work.
but the OP never said it was a Ken combo………

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
It stopped being a combo after the dancing blade 4th swing, which it could of been air dodged or jumped out of.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Welcome to the forum sir xD hope you enjoy your stay.

Unforutately, the setup relies on tripping the opponent from the first swing, which is rather random to get on opponents xD (still investigating the cause of it myself). Though that FAir > DB is something I've wrote on before, so I am in agreement that this works under the right conditions. Either the trip or hard knockdown will get that true combo, but its dependent on your opponent's mistake, which you yourself are committing to DB and banking that they make it.

Once the up swing finish from DB is done, it can be easily escaped as well due to the recovery lag on Marth and the stun time placed on your opponent from doing this. That isn't to say that the followup option isn't there, but know that this part is the setup which is usually avoided if your opponents like to stay in the air or have frame 1 attacks/counters that can outspeed your FAir. The FAir > DAir part as well can be DI'ed, attacked out of/countered, or dodged out of, as the others have stated.

It was cool you pulled this off, but I'm with the others on the probability of pulling this off on a target thats actively moving and attacking back. Marth is setup to setup city, so good job on stringing them together like this (now just gotta pull this off on a human opponent, and you'll probably be given more credit for it xD)

While this isn't a true combo, it starts off like one.

Bowser tripped after the first strike. Marth can then "re-trip" three times, and then possibly position himself for a FSmash or Neutral-B Tipper by the end for a true combo.

The Trip -> Retrip mechanic has been used in real combos. You probably can go somewhere with that.
Oh, the trip animation isn't the same as the one used in that video btw xD It was a hard knockdown animation followed by a jab move (thus the jab locks I believe they were called). The trip > hit won't get that kind of result as shown unfortunately. They'll just stand up after being hit once immediately with no stun.

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Welcome to the forum sir xD hope you enjoy your stay.

Unforutately, the setup relies on tripping the opponent from the first swing, which is rather random to get on opponents xD (still investigating the cause of it myself). Though that FAir > DB is something I've wrote on before, so I am in agreement that this works under the right conditions. Either the trip or hard knockdown will get that true combo, but its dependent on your opponent's mistake, which you yourself are committing to DB and banking that they make it.

Once the up swing finish from DB is done, it can be easily escaped as well due to the recovery lag on Marth and the stun time placed on your opponent from doing this. That isn't to say that the followup option isn't there, but know that this part is the setup which is usually avoided if your opponents like to stay in the air or have frame 1 attacks/counters that can outspeed your FAir. The FAir > DAir part as well can be DI'ed, attacked out of/countered, or dodged out of, as the others have stated.

It was cool you pulled this off, but I'm with the others on the probability of pulling this off on a target thats actively moving and attacking back. Marth is setup to setup city, so good job on stringing them together like this (now just gotta pull this off on a human opponent, and you'll probably be given more credit for it xD)

Oh, the trip animation isn't the same as the one used in that video btw xD It was a hard knockdown animation followed by a jab move (thus the jab locks I believe they were called). The trip > hit won't get that kind of result as shown unfortunately. They'll just stand up after being hit once immediately with no stun.
Actually, I did it once on For Glory! I'll try to do it again and save the replay!

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Not trying to deny what you said, but I'm still going with the fact that if you actually landed this on someone then that person just let you hit them. It's not a true combo of any sort after the Dancing Blade, in which it could of been avoided by doing almost anything.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
First of all welcome to Smashboards @ Conradical Conradical ! As @Eternal Flame, @ LoreLes LoreLes and others have stated, it started as a combo from the Fair being able to trip the opponent. The DB was able to combo due to this occurrence. Everything else that followed was simply a string that could have been avoided by a human opponent with good intuition. To avoid misinformation and incorrect assumptions I am locking this thread. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have via a private conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom