• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Lucas Player. Any Tips?

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hey guys! I am a new :4lucas:player and I was wondering if any of you had tips for me. Lucas is very fun and he seemed pretty easy to pick up. Thanks guys! :estatic:

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Look up combos and get a feel for the character because he's a lot lighter than you would expect. Just watch combo videos on youtube and practice em and u should be good in no time

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
Hey Man I Made this post on Lucas with covers his Frame Data , Combos, Technical stuff and more

http://smashboards.com/threads/lucas-combos-jablocks-framedata-percent-damage-kill-throws.414427/

also I found this nice thread that covers alot more

http://smashboards.com/threads/mystery-of-the-7-needles-extensive-lucas-research-thread.416216/

Here's a Video on Lucas Combos options also

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tcMHm1xBRf0

Heres also some Lucas Sheild Pressure and A Kill setup

http://smashboards.com/threads/shieldpressure-as-lucas-and-ghetto-locks.416781/

Here's a Lucas Tech Video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YR60EV7WU2U

Well that's alot of stuff to get you started don't be over thought about Lucas with all of this stuff he can do, he's very technical but hes really good, you'll get Lucas down in a week or 2 :) also My Twiiter is www.twitter.com/ConnorKowal message me there if you wanna play I can show you Lucas stuff if you want :) well see ya, it would be nice to help you get better with Lucas, :) remember to contact me on twitter k <3

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Set your C-Stick to Special Moves, as this will really really help you out later on if you are a determined Lucas main.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's on the right hitbox of the stick. Does 15%, as opposed to 14% at the base.

Lucas - 05F - Forward smash.gif

Last edited:

Grimtixx

Smash Cadet
NNID
bgood4life
Hi there, Scooch. I see that you've already gotten some advice from my fellow Lucas friends, but I feel as though I need to provide some advice as well due to my desire to help every Lucas main the best I can. Those links above will definitely help, but one piece of advice that I can give is to get used to the character. He plays completely different from Ness since he's a defensive oriented combo-heavy character. He does better against some of the top-tiers that Ness struggles with, such as Sheik, Ness himself, Rosalina and Pikachu. He requires extensive knowledge on spacing and punishing since he capitalizes on the mistakes of people he tries to wall out. Also, adding on to the C-Stick thing. You can set your stick to specials for wave bouncing but I personally find tilts to be more optimal when performing Lucas's jab locks and punishing with tilts appropriately. Well, I sure hope I helped. If you have any questions, please either let me or these other awesome people know. ;)

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's on the right hitbox of the stick. Does 15%, as opposed to 14% at the base.
In all seriousness, though, always look for places where you can sneak in a nair, since that's his best combo tool outside of down throw, obviously, but you can't always rely on his grab to do your damage, as there's many match-ups where you have to play almost grab-free (Sheik, Sonic, Fox, Pikachu--the top tiers, basically). All the hitboxes on his attacks serve different purposes, so it's important to work on your spacing and know when a specific hitbox will give you a better result than another one. For example, dash attack. At early percentages, hitting with the sour spot can lead to combos while hitting with the sweet spot will put the opponent too far away for you to follow up with anything. Likewise, at kill percentage you want to make sure you hit with the sweet spot because the sour spot won't kill until like 170%-180% and you'll give your opponent the chance to turn things around. Another good example is back air. You can finish off stocks very early if you get a down throw bair meteor at the ledge, but if you're not close enough that bair will meteor over the ledge you want to combo into it using one of the two sour spots on the attack, then space yourself to hit with the meteor afterwards. That's the kind of thing that requires knowledge of where his hitboxes are and what they do and requires a good amount of practice to consistently hit with the correct ones. Not to mention you'll look flashy, too. If you want to learn about where the hitboxes are on his moves I've done a pretty good amount of research about it. Give this thread a look: http://smashboards.com/threads/mystery-of-the-7-needles-extensive-lucas-research-thread.416216/

Lucas is what I like to call a "hot or cold" character. He doesn't really have the tools to constantly be in the opponent's face (not the way the top tiers are able to, at least), so he has to play a very patient game, zoning with his zair and PK Fire, and wait until the opponent foolishly commits to something punishable, or they drop their pressure on a whiff. Then he goes in, and he goes in hard. I've had matches where the opponent is doing a really good job of keeping me away or just pushing me all around the stage, but then they screw up once, get tossed off-stage and edge-guarded (his edge-guarding game is amazing, by the way, and it's something you should really work on if you want good results with Lucas). Or they're in kill percentage, miss an auto-cancel on an aerial and get PK Hoo hah'd (down throw up air). Lucas isn't really someone you can go on auto-pilot with, and really requires you to think on your feet during your pressures, since a lot of his strings aren't really guaranteed and you have to constantly mix up your opponent so they don't know where the next hit is coming from.

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
In all seriousness, though, always look for places where you can sneak in a nair, since that's his best combo tool outside of down throw, obviously, but you can't always rely on his grab to do your damage, as there's many match-ups where you have to play almost grab-free (Sheik, Sonic, Fox, Pikachu--the top tiers, basically). All the hitboxes on his attacks serve different purposes, so it's important to work on your spacing and know when a specific hitbox will give you a better result than another one. For example, dash attack. At early percentages, hitting with the sour spot can lead to combos while hitting with the sweet spot will put the opponent too far away for you to follow up with anything. Likewise, at kill percentage you want to make sure you hit with the sweet spot because the sour spot won't kill until like 170%-180% and you'll give your opponent the chance to turn things around. Another good example is back air. You can finish off stocks very early if you get a down throw bair meteor at the ledge, but if you're not close enough that bair will meteor over the ledge you want to combo into it using one of the two sour spots on the attack, then space yourself to hit with the meteor afterwards. That's the kind of thing that requires knowledge of where his hitboxes are and what they do and requires a good amount of practice to consistently hit with the correct ones. Not to mention you'll look flashy, too. If you want to learn about where the hitboxes are on his moves I've done a pretty good amount of research about it. Give this thread a look: http://smashboards.com/threads/mystery-of-the-7-needles-extensive-lucas-research-thread.416216/

Lucas is what I like to call a "hot or cold" character. He doesn't really have the tools to constantly be in the opponent's face (not the way the top tiers are able to, at least), so he has to play a very patient game, zoning with his zair and PK Fire, and wait until the opponent foolishly commits to something punishable, or they drop their pressure on a whiff. Then he goes in, and he goes in hard. I've had matches where the opponent is doing a really good job of keeping me away or just pushing me all around the stage, but then they screw up once, get tossed off-stage and edge-guarded (his edge-guarding game is amazing, by the way, and it's something you should really work on if you want good results with Lucas). Or they're in kill percentage, miss an auto-cancel on an aerial and get PK Hoo hah'd (down throw up air). Lucas isn't really someone you can go on auto-pilot with, and really requires you to think on your feet during your pressures, since a lot of his strings aren't really guaranteed and you have to constantly mix up your opponent so they don't know where the next hit is coming from.

Couldn't word that any better.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Set your C-Stick to Special Moves, as this will really really help you out later on if you are a determined Lucas main.
Can you elaborate on why this would be recommended?

Top Bottom