• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(new) looking for tutoring/lessons

Chickennugg

Smash Rookie
Hello, Im sorta new to playing SSB online, when i was a kid i used to play this a lot with my friends so thats the only past experience i have. Ive been playing SSB 64 online the past couple days and basicly have just been getting owned mostly but I think im learning. Would anyone like to give me some ingame lessons or just throw me some tips on the forum to help me get a bit better? thanks. I am trying to learn fox as a first character for now. I also have a little experience with falcon

The Star King

Smash Hero
^I don't think it matters whether you start with a low tier character lol

Anyways, don't worry about getting owned online all the time. It may feel like you're not learning, but you are. For what it's worth, I never even touched Smash64 once in my life before playing online, and I improved really quickly.

It's kind of hard to give advice without knowing how good you are. Do you already know about the ATs and stuff?

DMoogle

A$
I disagree, at least for Link and Samus. These two are probably the best characters to use to improve spacing aptitude, which is probably the most important yet most difficult skill to individually improve upon.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
I disagree, at least for Link and Samus. These two are probably the best characters to use to improve spacing aptitude, which is probably the most important yet most difficult skill to individually improve upon.
That's the point DMoogle,thanks :)
I Know a lot of toptier players, but most do not use very well the lowtiers.

Chickennugg

Smash Rookie

Anyways, don't worry about getting owned online all the time. It may feel like you're not learning, but you are. For what it's worth, I never even touched Smash64 once in my life before playing online, and I improved really quickly.

It's kind of hard to give advice without knowing how good you are. Do you already know about the ATs and stuff?

recently I have just been trying to play how I see good people online and on youtube are doing. (starting combos and juggling, that sorta stuff) I realize what all the abilites are but I have a hard time knowing what to use when. I often dont land my smash moves and often my opponet will always hit me first with basic air attacks. it may be because i use a keyboard or maybe i just need practice.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
For example, TANK.
He use Link, Yoshi and Luigi. (Green Characters :scared: :yoshi2:)
He is a good player.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can learn to space with any character. Not sure why you think Link and Samus are the "best" for this. Sup boomfan.

Also, I think reading others is the most important yet most difficult skill to individually improve upon. Real talk.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
You can learn to space with any character. Not sure why you think Link and Samus are the "best" for this. Sup boomfan.

Also, I think reading others is the most important yet most difficult skill to individually improve upon. Real talk.
Yea, you can learn to space with any character im agree.
But if you play with the "Bad Characters" and you get better, the "Good Characters" would be "Awesome Characters" xD.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well, obviously improving with low tiers will improve you overall, so that "good characters become awesome characters". But it can work the other way around, too. Improving high tiers can improve low tiers.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
Well, obviously improving with low tiers will improve you overall, so that "good characters become awesome characters". But it can work the other way around, too. Improving high tiers can improve low tiers.
I agree completely, both ways work.

RickySSB

Smash Ace
Or do or see combos to improve a little more and always play with good players.

The Star King - Do you live in Springfield? How are the Simpsons? LOL

DMoogle

A$

Of course you can learn to space with any character. That doesn't mean that the learning curve is going to be the same for all fundamentals with each character. For example, Fox is probably one of the best characters to use to improve tent combo strategies. Nair off the tent -> upsmash is a technique that can be applied to many characters, but is most easily learned with Fox. I think that's because of his speed, which allows that combo to connect at a wide range of %s.

The reason I think Link and Samus are particularly good for spacing is because:
Link requires a safe distance from his opponent, or else he'll find himself dead very quickly, even against noobs. That doesn't necessarily mean a player has to rely on boomerangs and bombs, they can be fairly successful without them, but it just means that they need to choose their spots very carefully.
Samus has a pretty poor approach with very few disjointed hitboxes, and requires very precise timing and spacing in order to minimize the amount of "traded hits," which are particularly detrimental to Samus because of her lack of combo ability.

Other characters, particularly Kirby and Pikachu, can make many spacing mistakes, but can make up for it with their other natural advantages.

dandan

Smash Lord
you have not said where you are from. the best way to train imo is just playing with better players and asking for what you can improve.
if you are from europe, i would be more than glad to help as much as i can.

Chickennugg

Smash Rookie
you have not said where you are from. the best way to train imo is just playing with better players and asking for what you can improve.
if you are from europe, i would be more than glad to help as much as i can.
I am from new hampshire, america

SO i guess the learning process in this game is like it was back in halo 2 for me. Keep getting owned by good people untill you learn from it and you start getting better.

DMoogle

A$
SO i guess the learning process in this game is like it was back in halo 2 for me. Keep getting owned by good people untill you learn from it and you start getting better.
Somewhat, yes. But, because of how deep of a game SSB is, different good people (even the very best few) have different things they're particularly good at, and thus different things to learn from.

Top Bottom