• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

new here plz some direction, greatly appreciated

lui3k

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone my name is Luis i go by lui3000 or L3k online I'm a new Lucas main only been playing him for a few months I am comfortable enough with the character that I have control over him comfortable with his recovery, now it's time for me to join you guys as a serious Lucas Main.

However I'm having some trouble

#1 with the cloud matchup for some reason I just cannot win

#2 with guides I have already visited the guide section and yes there is some very very helpful material there but I need something more basic focused especially for Lucas for example

-N-air strings are a hit or miss for me

-Down throw up air... My opponents can DI out of it, I thought it was supposed to be guaranteed... I am aware that after the down throw you are supposed to move forward with your first jump and assess whether your opponent is going towards you or away from you but even with that I miss sometimes and I assure you I am doing them at the correct percentages

I know this is very basic but any help is appreciated from you guys

Anyways I'm glad to be here I hope to find a friendly place to talk about smash and Lucas since the few people I've met in the smash scene are not very nice

Last edited:

Trainer_Nate

Smash Rookie
I am starting Lucas as well so I may be incorrect but in terms of fighting Cloud have you tried to bair meteor him while he recovers? If the Cloud player recovers maybe Dsmash can hit at the ledge? Maybe even a downB off stage to catch his recovery?
You could grab him and pummel him until the grab releases to potentially have him drop off the ledge at mid%s to get him to recover/jump. I am no expert in this MU nor am I a dedicated Lucas main but try these with a partner. Hope this helps!

lui3k

Smash Cadet
I am starting Lucas as well so I may be incorrect but in terms of fighting Cloud have you tried to bair meteor him while he recovers? If the Cloud player recovers maybe Dsmash can hit at the ledge? Maybe even a downB off stage to catch his recovery?
You could grab him and pummel him until the grab releases to potentially have him drop off the ledge at mid%s to get him to recover/jump. I am no expert in this MU nor am I a dedicated Lucas main but try these with a partner. Hope this helps!
yes all of the above work but its easier said then done lol mostly bc clouds upB usually beats out my Bair and Dair
cloud is just so fast and hits so hard, not to mention how badly he outranges poor lucas lol
thank you for your input :) much appreciated i do need to perfect the Zair to grab thing especially for cloud
seeing as how you are leaning lucas aswell if you discover anything worth repeating plz let me know! i just perfected Dtilt to Ftilt and Dtilt to grab since i switched to tilt stick

Last edited:

lui3k

Smash Cadet
If you can PK Freeze Cloud while he's off the edge, get ready to take stock #2, because he's gone.
bruh i can count on one hand the times ive hit pk freeze in my life lol
but you do have a valid point im going to put more effort into learning to land pk freeze thank you for the input!

Trainer_Nate

Smash Rookie

It is not covered in the video BUT if you knock an enemy off a platform they will go into tumble. During this animation they CANNOT tech the fall. Using Ftilt at low %'s or the weak spot of Bair can slide them off the platform. From there if you are quick enough you can initiate the jab reset using Ftilt. Weak spot Fair can also jab reset.
This setup is very hard to pull but It is nice to know.
If you jab reset an opponent on a platform (Using the one in the video above) you can get a Ftilt to get them into tumble to get another jab reset. I hope this is clear haha.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
FC Fair, Zair, and D-tilt all combo into grab at certain percents (0-20%, 30-40%, and 100-130% respectively, I believe - not entirely sure), so practicing those and your follow-ups after Dthrow (footstool and all aerials) will be essential to your damage-racking kit. Lucas gets ridiculous reward off of his grabs. Remember jab and Dtilt as CQC options for their above-average frame data as get off me moves, particularly Dtilt for comboing into jab at early percents and grab at later percents.

Last edited:

Trainer_Nate

Smash Rookie
Just to add to the overall discussion learning how to space properly would be beneficial. Zair and retreating pk fire (for a small burst of horizontal momentum away from the enemy). Know when to go in and know when you have to get out.

I do not know if it works but when you recovery you may be able to do a pk thunder 1 to stop momentum and grab the ledge. Use the pk thunder 1 to protect yourself so they do not go after the 1 frame. But you will more than likely have to direct the pk thunder 1 into the ground so you can safely grab the ledge.
(I gotta test it later)

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Just to add to the overall discussion learning how to space properly would be beneficial. Zair and retreating pk fire (for a small burst of horizontal momentum away from the enemy). Know when to go in and know when you have to get out.

I do not know if it works but when you recovery you may be able to do a pk thunder 1 to stop momentum and grab the ledge. Use the pk thunder 1 to protect yourself so they do not go after the 1 frame. But you will more than likely have to direct the pk thunder 1 into the ground so you can safely grab the ledge.
(I gotta test it later)
This is pretty much what you can do with Ness as well but Lucas has more aerial mobility during freefall so you might do this from a lot further away and still get away with it.

lui3k

Smash Cadet
thank you all for the input i still cant footstool however my game is improving greatly i am able to beat clouds now consistently it just involves me being way campier with pkfire and zair i dont really like to play that way but i have to against cloud you cant just run up on him he is too fast too strong and has way too much range for poor lucas.

Top Bottom