• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Format for Tournament Sets

RichieRich

Smash Rookie
Hi Smashboards!

I've got an idea for a new tournament format that could incentivize the use of all the characters in the cast! [This idea can work for any smash game, but I will use 64 as an example for simplicity (and also because it is my favorite smash :D )] If we could get more characters than the standard yellow rat and pink poofball at even the highest levels of play, it would make this game even more interesting to watch and help the game grow.

The idea:
For a given set, how about we give each player an amount of points that he can spend on characters? The higher tier characters would cost more points than the lower tier characters.

Cost to be determined, but sample numbers given to illustrate the example:
For a best-of-3 game set, each player gets 25 points.
Costs of characters for each round:
Pikachu - 12
Kirby - 11
Falcon - 10
Fox - 9
Yoshi - 8
Puff - 7
Mario - 6
Samus - 5
DK - 4
Ness - 3
Link - 2
Luigi - 1

So for instance under this scoring system, a player could go Yoshi for all 3 rounds (8+8+8=24); or Samus, Yoshi, and Pikachu (5+8+12=25); or you could even go Pikachu your first two rounds, but you better win both or have a really good pocket Luigi (12+12+1=25).

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts!

Love,
Richie

Background on this post:

I've been trying to think of a way to get more characters playable in tournaments. While watching Genesis 3, the crowd (composed mostly of Melee fans) really seemed to enjoy watching the games with the less traditional tournament characters (then again, maybe it was just because Isai was playing fox, haha). All the characters have different strengths and matchups, but at the highest level of play some characters seem destined to remain unused. Banning top tiers didn't seem like a good option, but this felt like a much better solution.

I don't know if this idea has been posted before, but i got this idea from playing fantasy football. They have this format in weekly fantasy football pools, where you have a certain amount of points to spend on players from different teams. They make the best players cost a lot, so the key is picking players that nobody else thinks is going to do well that week.

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
This is too complicated for a tourney, explain this and everything else to someone who does not have any idea of competive smash.

Shears

Smash Master
This isn't a bad idea but we're going to be doing something similar at xanadu in a couple weeks. The idea was made by darkhorse and it forces players to use all characters. Think of the characters as cards and you get 12 cards to use during the tournament. Each set you play a card, if you want to counterpick you may discard the card you're using to be able to play a new card. At the end of the set whatever card you're using is then discarded. If you lose 2 sets or have no more cards left you are eliminated. Everything else runs like a normal tournament bo3, de, cp, double blind, etc.

Top Bottom