• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New advanced tech? Dash Cancel FSmash

Gromz

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm really new here like literally 10 minutes new to smashboards and I wanted to ask you all about this technique I found. Basically its a dash cancel fsmash and I wanted to know if its already been discovered. Performing it resembles a wavedash fsmash and it can be used both as a pseudo wavedash back fsmash or wavedash forward fsmash. To do it you dash then, like a foxtrot, dash again when the first dash animation has ended then immediately cancel it with a fsmash with the c-stick (or control stick + A I got it to work a couple times this way). I havn't seen any posts about this technique so if this has already been discovered sorry. This also doesn't only work for Marth/Lucina but I haven't gotten around to testing it with other characters and its also more noticeably useful with them than the characters I have tried it with. Little Mac also benefits from this technique but anything related to foxtrot/pivot/dashdance benefits Little Mac anyway. Let me know what you guys think! Once again I hope I'm not breaking any rules here since I don't know any of them.

Also, sorry I can't post a video of what its supposed to look like but I have almost nothing to record with.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hard to say, but if you're talking about dashing twice in the same direction then FSmashing, I think that's been around in previous iterations of Smash (though I could be misinterpretting what you mean). Probably could do that off of just the single dash and FSmash right there via the c-stick, but with the option you mentioned, the momentum is kept a bit and lets you move forward a bit with the FSmash. At that point is where I am unsure, and we'll need someone with GCC experience to confirm it.

If you're talking about dashing one way, then dash the other way and FSmash, that is known as pivot smashing, which has been discovered already. Again, I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the same thing.

Also don't worry, as far as I know, you're not breaking any rules. Anyways, welcome to the board gentlemen xD (since Interference also does seem to have made his first post here).

Gromz

Smash Rookie
Hard to say, but if you're talking about dashing twice in the same direction then FSmashing, I think that's been around in previous iterations of Smash (though I could be misinterpretting what you mean). Probably could do that off of just the single dash and FSmash right there via the c-stick, but with the option you mentioned, the momentum is kept a bit and lets you move forward a bit with the FSmash. At that point is where I am unsure, and we'll need someone with GCC experience to confirm it.

If you're talking about dashing one way, then dash the other way and FSmash, that is known as pivot smashing, which has been discovered already. Again, I'm not sure if what you're referring to is the same thing.

Also don't worry, as far as I know, you're not breaking any rules. Anyways, welcome to the board gentlemen xD (since Interference also does seem to have made his first post here).
Its either dashing twice in the same direction or dashing in one direction and dashing in the other direction, both being input as if it were a foxtrot, but you only get the distance from the first dash and the second dash is purely for canceling into fsmash.

And thanks! That's a relief hahaha

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Its either dashing twice in the same direction or dashing in one direction and dashing in the other direction, both being input as if it were a foxtrot, but you only get the distance from the first dash and the second dash is purely for canceling into fsmash.

And thanks! That's a relief hahaha
Ok, I gave it a shot (3DS ver. but it should technically be the same), and yeah, it's what was boasted about on foxtrotting to begin with. When you dash, you have to wait a tiny bit then enter the FSmash . Both the commands are the same, and during a dash you actually come to neutral position much faster than you would by running. You could even go into a DSmash from this (obviously Up Smash as well, but you can cancel that from a run xD). It must be easier with a C-Stick though xD

Anyways, we now know its something that has been seen before. Though perhaps I can find some time to record what I think you're talking about, then we'll know for absolute certainty that we are talking about the same thing. Still, going out there and posting what you know is the first step towards learning and helping others learn xD Sure, it was something that's already been done, but you're allowed a few of those when you first start out.

Either way, keep up the good work. You may just find something all of us have missed xD

Gromz

Smash Rookie
Ok, I gave it a shot (3DS ver. but it should technically be the same), and yeah, it's what was boasted about on foxtrotting to begin with. When you dash, you have to wait a tiny bit then enter the FSmash . Both the commands are the same, and during a dash you actually come to neutral position much faster than you would by running. You could even go into a DSmash from this (obviously Up Smash as well, but you can cancel that from a run xD). It must be easier with a C-Stick though xD

Anyways, we now know its something that has been seen before. Though perhaps I can find some time to record what I think you're talking about, then we'll know for absolute certainty that we are talking about the same thing. Still, going out there and posting what you know is the first step towards learning and helping others learn xD Sure, it was something that's already been done, but you're allowed a few of those when you first start out.

Either way, keep up the good work. You may just find something all of us have missed xD
Alright I tried it again using what you said and yeah, the second dash input is unnecessary hahaha. So it is just foxtrot fsmash then, that's a bummer lol. Its definitely easier to pull off with the c-stick though hahaha. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate all the kindness too!

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Alright I tried it again using what you said and yeah, the second dash input is unnecessary hahaha. So it is just foxtrot fsmash then, that's a bummer lol. Its definitely easier to pull off with the c-stick though hahaha. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate all the kindness too!
Haha, no worries xD We gotta go through this process to learn about the tricks we use after all. Well, this and researching the guides and such.

Being part of the community should come with the same courtesy as in real life. Not to mention we all are carrying Marth's mantle and image, and so we should act accordingly (not that I expect everyone to speak in 'ye ol english' though xD). Hopefully you will enjoy your stay just as much as I have, if not more, here on SmashBoards.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I learned this tech in the LMac Fox Trot tech thread. It lets you space the Fsmash way way better at long ranges.

You can't do an Fsmash out of a Foxtrot normally, you can only input it on the very first frames of dash animation. The good thing is that Foxtrot's can be chained together and they use the forward -> Input. So you can do Initial dash, wait, F+A. pressing forward will inititate a second dash for like frame before the A registers, turning it into an Fsmash instantly after the initial trot. Sadly, doing a pivot Fsmash is Much much harder than this.

Edit:" Not THAT hard I guess, same difficulty as Dash Dance.

Last edited:

ShadowMarth-JTW

Smash Rookie
Foxtrot to Fsmash? Yeah its possible to perform in Brawl to. Like others mentioned, Very useful for spacing and timing combined. I like to use this to combo with and to cover landings, Is only one of many options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom