• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Never fear edgeguarders

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qc0Vy7BlMxI

At 1:32 and 2:02 Olimar throws a pikmin at the edgehogger and sends him onto the stage.

Now It's a dead cert with purple pikmin, but with other colours I couldn't say, Also at end of the vid olimar does an amazing edge grab.

It might be old. but it deserves a watch simply to prove that a good Olimar player shouldn't be that afraid of edgeguaders.

Yigguth

Smash Journeyman
To me it seems that you're only going to be able to hit him with a pikmin is if you were able to get back on the stage anyways. The Olimar in that vid could've just kept going forward and made it back on the stage

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
To me it seems that you're only going to be able to hit him with a pikmin is if you were able to get back on the stage anyways. The Olimar in that vid could've just kept going forward and made it back on the stage
Thats true I probably could but there have been situations where I have been able to pull this off and I don't think I could have made it back otherwise.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've seen that vid plenty of times. Amazing play by Echo here. Also that last recovery, if Metaknight had stayed on a bit longer, you might have ended up losing. That was a good stroke of luck.

Wararchon

Smash Cadet
Yeah, not a true solution to olimar's recovery since you need purple pimkin at the right time and you need to be above or next to the the opponent.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I think that this will help Ivy more than it will Olimar. Ivy's Razor Leaf travels upward, while Olimar's Pikmin throw travels downward. I've come to accept that Olimar racks up damage very quickly, and the gimpable recovery balances that.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
New solution, perfect shield any attack when your on the ground, WAC any move when your in the air, and if someones grab kills you, just scream BROKEN IMBA BAN BAN BAN! (this is a joke, just to cover myself) Can't say I have all the answers to Olimar's recovery, I've been trying hard to not comment on threads I can't contribute much towards until I own the game. However I would like to point out that there are a few good pages of discussion about just this on a thread named Issues with Olimar's Pikmin recovery. Well I'll just go link it: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141173 Its got some good discussion in it about Olimar's recovery, and it would be a good read for people here haven't read it yet and was the thread for this same discussion before this thread, its got links to Gimpyfish showing how to abuse this weakness of olimar, various ideas of how to overcome it both good and bad, as well as an epic post #76 breaking down a lot of things you can do to prevent situations where ledge gimping can occur =P Hope it helps,

-True

Fautor Animus

Smash Cadet
The whole deal with olimar is that Mindgames are key. For example the second time we was about to be edge-hogged, he latched, which is important. Metaknight got up of his own accord. The idea is to trick the opponent into doing something that they would nomally do, except in this case, you didn't do anything. Mindgames ftw.

Top Bottom