• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neutral Start Ports

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hey guys, quick question. So on DL we play ports 2 and 4 so that each player starts on a platform, giving no a player an initial positioning advantage. Is there an established "neutral" starting port configuration for Peach's, Congo, and Hyrule? How about for teams? For a flat stage, ideally you have the two teammates on the same side. For DL, it's left/right and top/bottom. We want to specify these guidelines in the Apex rules so if anyone has input that'd be great.

anonymouschris01

Smash Apprentice
Not sure about Congo, since I despise that level and never play it, but peaches castle is strange. The way the characters appear from left to right on the stage is port 4, port 1, port 3, and port 2. So for 1v1 I would imagine it should be port 4 and 3 or 1 and 2 so they aren't on top of each other, and for teams port 4 and 1 one team, and port 2 and 3 for the other.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
neutrals
DL - p2 and p4
Peach's - p2 and p4
Congo - p1 and p4

i picked luigi mario dk link in player order, so the corresponding ports are 1234. for teams, on congo, 12 vs 34 it looks like.

for pc, as stated above, it's 4132. so i think starting ports for teams, on peach's, should be 41 vs 23.

hyrule, for teams, 12 vs 34. if someone wants to gentleman's to it, i think it should be 2 v 3, but w/e.

dl, no pic cuz it's unnecessary, 1 is on bottom, 2 is on left, 3 is on top, 4 is on right.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
was gonna say the same for peaches. 3rd player starts facing away from the other team but within jab and prolly grab range. ouch

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
there's no such thing as neutral start in hyrule
This is undeniably true in my mind. Looking at the picture, no two spawns are even close to having equal approach options. That low platform may be the biggest problem but the unbalanced space on either player's side is also another key issue.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
We could always designate a 'move to neutral ground' rule before the start of a match if ports are bad for some stages. I think the Japanese have occasionally gone to platforms and taunted together to signify the start of the match in some cases iirc.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I've seen the same but there isn't neutral ground on Hyrule. Due to the stage's composure, a good neutral is seemingly non-existent.

Olikus

Smash Champion
We could always designate a 'move to neutral ground' rule before the start of a match if ports are bad for some stages. I think the Japanese have occasionally gone to platforms and taunted together to signify the start of the match in some cases iirc.
we do this in Europe as well. Its the most fair, and I will ask all americans to gentleman it with me.

Top Bottom