• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Network Neutrality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Net Neutrality, an issue that's becoming more and more relevant as the internet's importance waxes, essentially prevents internet service providers from using their control of their internet service to favor one site, application, or service over another. For example, under policies that favor full net neutrality, an internet service provider cannot align itself with, one particular travel agency, ensuring that customers that use their internet service will be able to access that agency's site more quickly than its competitors, or even block the competitors' sites outright. This also applies to prioritizing applications, such as giving faster service to streaming video applications than to internet browsers, etc.

This sort of content prioritization is currently under heated debate in most of the world.

On the one hand, it is argued that many schemes could be adopted to offset costs with sale of surplus bandwidth, or by making financial arrangements with companies interested in having such a priority for their particular service. Some would argue that net neutrality is undue governmental interference in a private business. Some would even claim that their first amendment right allows them to hinder opinions with which they differ through use of non-neutral practices.

Of course, the economic benefit to the ISPs would also be a further advantage to already-wealthy companies, hindering the development of less well-funded internet entities as well as private developments. As the internet continues to further permeate modern lifestyles, the privatized nature of such a service may even be called into question in the near future, but even as it stands, this particular interference is necessary. Moreso than ever before, content is being created with unprecedented celerity by people who would be unable to do so by any other medium. Opposition of network neutrality is prevention of this new medium to grow and expand as it already has begun to, and the financial interests of such corporations as would abuse their power must take a backseat to the expansion of what is now the most powerful aspect of modern culture.

But that's merely my opinion. What do you think?

Is net neutrality necessary? Is it fair to the companies that could benefit from a lack of it? Should companies that provide access be able to regulate content?

snex

Smash Master
any business that is either necessry but cannot be naturally profitable (police, fire department, emergency room, sanitation, etc), or any business that naturally forms a monopoly (energy, heat, electricity, *internet*) should be treated as a public utility. this would of course lead to net neutrality, as a government-run ISP could not regulate speech.

Me14k

Smash Lord
not having net neutrality is insane. Any ISP can screw with any website unless the website pays them a certain fee. Often people think that ISP's block a site, they dont.

What an ISP could do is make all connections to a certain webpage extremly slow. Lets look at Ebay vs Amazon. Ebay could go to an ISP and pay them $__ for the ISP to make all connections to Amazon.com extremly laggy..this would make amazona shoppers go to ebay for a better connection.

-Alot of times in this argument people say that ISPs wont take advantage of this capability, sadly they are doing it:

"ISP’s have the power to silence and opposition they have …In April, Time Warner's AOL blocked all emails that mentioned www.dearaol.com — an advocacy campaign opposing the company's pay-to-send e-mail scheme."(Wall Street Journal, May 15 2006)

"In 2004, North Carolina ISP Madison River blocked their DSL customers from using any rival Web-based phone service." (Independent Press Association)

"Shaw, a big Canadian cable TV company, is charging an extra $10 a month to subscribers in order to "enhance" competing Internet telephone services"

Good topic watches..very unique

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
any business that is either necessry but cannot be naturally profitable (police, fire department, emergency room, sanitation, etc), or any business that naturally forms a monopoly (energy, heat, electricity, *internet*) should be treated as a public utility. this would of course lead to net neutrality, as a government-run ISP could not regulate speech.
Complete agreement, this would be fantastic.

Internet as a utility would be perfect

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
So are you arguing against ISPs continuing to exist as private companies, or simply that they should be REGULATED as would a government-run utility? It sounds a lot like the latter, which I would agree with, since privatization exists in other utilities and encourages competition and therefore improvement of the service, so long as the sorts of regulations that could be put in place would serve entirely to alleviate the other problems of privatization (Such as breach of net neutrality, in this case).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I was discussing this earlier with some friends! We came to the conclusion that Internet really ought to be a utility alongside electric, water, etc. It would be nice if everyone had a nice standard broadband connection. All these ISPs should be focusing on providing premium connections (super fast lines, fiber-optics, etc.). These competition-filtering tactics are just evidence that they cannot offer a superior product. Implementing such restrictions is dumb and great waste of resources (unless, of course, your competition is that much better than you). Personally, I never use my ISP-related resources. I don't want their email address (a temp address that usually has a pathetic size cap), anti-spam tools (Gmail does that just fine), anti-virus (usually ineffective and inferior to my own tools), etc. I just want a pure/raw Internet connection for my own bidding.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I've been thinking about the same thing. Months ago, a Yahoo DSL disc was about to install a lot of software on my computer, but the driver wasn't working properly, thank lord. I had to dial up Yahoo and get help with manually setting up my connection via Firefox, which actually worked.

A powerful high-speed connection is enough. I feel that a lot of my (parent's) monthly internet bill goes towards developing interfaces and a browser that I do not even use. Money wasted.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I fail to understand the arguments in favor of a tiered Internet service. Basically, the big corporations in the world want everything back to the way it was: those who have tons of money and TV exposure will remain in power for a long time. The Internet levels the playing field and forces those big players to play fair since smaller businesses can offer better service in some cases. With a tiered Internet service, only those with a Fox connection will be able to enjoy the Internet in its current form (all sites browse equally). However, those who can only afford a Kirby connection will have smooth access to the ISP and its friends, but all other sites will be restricted greatly.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the tier humor.) >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom