• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs Yoshi?

Pixiesky

Smash Rookie
So I'm not a bad player from what i've seen and from what others tell me (but that's just friends so -shrug-) So I was fighting a Yoshi player and man I'd really like to know the matchup because I could barely get anything in on Yoshi. His neutral game with eggs and his follow ups on most of his skills, plus his air game is a nightmare for me. I was kinda looking for some tips on how to do better against them?

CaptainZeroSkill

Smash Rookie
I played against the best Yoshi player in my state this past Friday, and he gave me a few tips on the matchup.

1. Utilize a lot of Nair and Fair and the neutral game to keep Yoshi out.

2. Use PK Fire very sparingly because Yoshi has a very easy time punishing it. (I would suggest mostly using it to cover landing options when you're sure that you won't get punished when using it.)

3. Don't get stuck in shield. OoS Nair is your best option is your best case. Yoshi obviously has a very easy time breaking shield with both Down B and his Dair.

A few things that I personally would recommend in the matchup would be to pick up on the Yoshi player's B reversed Neutral B habits. They'll usually try to fade away from you and then B reverse towards you with the command grab. I would suggest using Up air against this before the hit box comes out. PKT juggling is also pretty decent in the matchup.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
I was hoping that there was going to be thread like this, one thing I want to ask about is recovering. I was watching this set a few minutes ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8OkUshC2ZY, it looks pretty bad for Ness against Yoshi, not Rosaluma bad but still bad.

I am trying to think of how you can recover against a Yoshi who can aim the eggs at the PKT. My main thought would be to work on PKT toward the stage and wrap it around the long way to get back.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Recover from below the ledge, but instead of traveling at a 45 degree angle up to the ledge, travel 90 degrees straight up to the ledge, or sliding up the wall.
Practice more than one angle of PKT2, for scenarios like these.
Typically, someone wanting to go up and to the left will just rotate PKT clockwise tightly to hit themselves, but this is extremely predictable.
You can still go up and to the left while rotating counterclockwise, and it should be a priority to learn how.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
I can see how it would be a good idea to learn more than one way of doing it. Since my PKT game has been so bad recently I'll add that to my routine.

SirBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seymorebuts
So I'm not a bad player from what i've seen and from what others tell me (but that's just friends so -shrug-) So I was fighting a Yoshi player and man I'd really like to know the matchup because I could barely get anything in on Yoshi. His neutral game with eggs and his follow ups on most of his skills, plus his air game is a nightmare for me. I was kinda looking for some tips on how to do better against them?

SirBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seymorebuts

Top Bottom